Photo
- - - - -

BBQ for camper - with a poll!

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: BBQ for camper - with a poll! (104 member(s) have cast votes)

Charcoal or propane?

1. Charcoal (41 votes [39.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.42%

2. Propane (63 votes [60.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

I use the Coleman Fold n Go Grille. Compact and good high output regulator. Good for four persons.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001494

David H
Mill Valley
06 Hawk

How well does this one work? It looks to be very handy and the griddle option would be useful.
However, the few reviews I found made it sound like it doesn't put out a lot of heat.
Can you cook up a bunch of chicken breasts easily? How about a turkey breast?

Thanks-
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#42 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

Another Son of Hibachi user here. Had it 3 years.

Pros:

Heavy, last a lifetime
Small, fits in tight places
Taste, head and shoulders above gas
The "snuff out bag" is super!!!

Cons:

No cover but adding Jack Daniels smoke pellets works well
I've never got the "chimney light feature" to work. I am always by myself so I just use half the BBQ and light it the old fashion way with lighter fluid. I don't like the match light briquettes, tastes funny!!!

Bottom line: Very happy, would buy another
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#43 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

I bought a cheepo "Char-Broil" propane Weber knock off in Moab for 6 bucks. It works ok, takes a while to get steak searing hot, but for roasting veggies and burgers it is great. Also works good with the griddle on top for bacon and eggs. Only real downside is grease drips from flavor tray, into the innards of the BBQ. I mostly carry the BBQ on top of the Eagle on the racks. With the heat and the wind, the grease eventually makes its way to the roof of the camper.
Definitely not good for camping in bear country. :blink:

Am considering Napoleon Q or O-Grill as they fold flat.

I voted for gas for simplicity sake.

#44 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

Only real downside is grease drips from flavor tray, into the innards of the BBQ. I mostly carry the BBQ on top of the Eagle on the racks. With the heat and the wind, the grease eventually makes its way to the roof of the camper.

That is a downside for sure. Not much you can do to avoid the drippings. I guess you could store it in a bag or something to keep it off the camper? Does sound like bear bait though.

On another note, moving to Victoria in August. See you around town no doubt.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#45 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,608 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

Only real downside is grease drips from flavor tray, into the innards of the BBQ. I mostly carry the BBQ on top of the Eagle on the racks. With the heat and the wind, the grease eventually makes its way to the roof of the camper.
Definitely not good for camping in bear country. :blink:

The grease-dripping issue reminds me of an experience I had with my Weber "Go Anywhere" gas years ago.
A group of friends met up with me camping, and one of them grilled Italian sausage links -- the raw kind requiring cooking, enough for all...so there was a lot of grease dripping down into the bottom of my Weber. When I got home and disassembled the q there was so much congealed pork grease pooled into a solid slab in the bottom -- it looked like a grease trap at a diner! Posted Image So I went to a car-wash and used the hot-soap-pressure-sprayer to clean it out -- It worked! And since I was there I washed the truck, too. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#46 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

Cool - drop me a line when you get here.

That is a downside for sure. Not much you can do to avoid the drippings. I guess you could store it in a bag or something to keep it off the camper? Does sound like bear bait though.

On another note, moving to Victoria in August. See you around town no doubt.

#47 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

All this bbq grease talk....hungry now

The grease-dripping issue reminds me of an experience I had with my Weber "Go Anywhere" gas years ago.
A group of friends met up with me camping, and one of them grilled Italian sausage links -- the raw kind requiring cooking, enough for all...so there was a lot of grease dripping down into the bottom of my Weber. When I got home and disassembled the q there was so much congealed pork grease pooled into a solid slab in the bottom -- it looked like a grease trap at a diner! Posted Image So I went to a car-wash and used the hot-soap-pressure-sprayer to clean it out -- It worked! And since I was there I washed the truck, too. Posted Image

#48 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmay be lost

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:20 AM

We've got a Weber-Q but it takes up so much space. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001NGO358 and have used it once on top of a Partner Steel stove. It worked pretty well but I need some more practice. It takes up very little space and all the pieces can go into the dishwasher when we get home.

#49 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

We've got a Weber-Q but it takes up so much space. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001NGO358 and have used it once on top of a Partner Steel stove. It worked pretty well but I need some more practice. It takes up very little space and all the pieces can go into the dishwasher when we get home.

That is a darn neat idea!!! B)
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#50 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,608 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

This does look like a great idea.
Reading the Amazon reviews, sounds like it would be best only on an outside-the-camper stove (like the Partner you mention) because of the smoke. At $90, not cheap. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users