#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hey Folks!
Just a quick Howdy from ~ 2/3 through my trip, leaching wifi in Torrey, UT, 12 miles west of Capitol Reef National Park.
I met Stew and Tony at Toroweap first thing (May 2), but C.G. was full so we retreated a few miles back to BLM land.

I've had a headache for the past week...possibly from hitting my head on the door frame of the camper...possibly brain worms. :rolleyes: Headache is much-lessened now, but I'm still considering the traditional native-American head-boring cure for releasing evil spirits. Also, my refrigerator essentially blew up on day 2 -- there was a catastrophic release of ammonia (the refrigerant) from the system. I breathed in a fair amount of NH3 as I stuck my head in the back of the camper and tried to figure out, "Why is the propane alarm going off? huh.gif That doesn't smell like C3H8". unsure.gif) We'd been driving at the time (as we caravaned to Mt Trumbull, instead of Toroweap, campspot), so maybe rough roads produced the rupture ??. Result is that I bought a cheap ice chest and am doing it old-school until I can get home. So, events have not been ideal, but weather has been nearly so. 10 sunny days out of the past 13 and at least another 5 sunny days forecast.Anyway, despite my near-death from ammonia and swelling brain tumor which have discouraged much hiking so far I have managed to snag a few photos near camps and en route. A sample, with a few more to come when I do a proper trip report.

Photos moved to the full trip report beginning here.

I'll fill in more/details/photos later.See ya, guys! smile.gif

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Great write up and pics. Keep 'um coming.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#3 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Sorry to hear about the headache and the fridge.....nonetheless looks like you are having a fantastic time.

Can't wait for the trip report

Cort

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

The Texaco in Torrey has fast and free wifi.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#5 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Awesome pics, Mark. Sorry about the headache. Maybe it's all the dry air? Instead of drilling a hole in your head, try staying hydrated. Helps with altitude sickness, although I don't think that's your problem.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

Great pix Mark. Banging your head hasn't dampened your eye for beauty. I hope you're feeling better.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

Mark, our friend, stop banging your head and have more fun! It's wonderful country out there, isn't it? Be safe and we can hardly wait for more photos and details! Have to ask, how do you like retirement?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:34 AM

We were on Hole-In-The-Rock Rd, Burr Trail Rd (slot canyon too, easy to spot once you know where it is) and Capitol Reef last October. Lucky you to be in one of my favorite and most beautiful places anywhere. No fun with a headache but they do disappear. We are looking forward to more pics and a real report. Hope the fridge can be repaired or replaced with something better/cheaper.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Nice shots making me remember our trip last May to Escalante (back in the pre-FWC days).
We noticed that slot on Burr Trail also and spent a few nights at the BLM CG there just outside of Boulder. Fantastic country.

Glad you are recovering and looking forward to some more photos.
Nice inspiration too as we are loaded up to leave for our first trip of the year later today.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

I will be in that area early next week. Will try to ring you up, also Tuna is poking around there somewhere.

Jeff
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users