#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

Thanks, all, for the kind words. :)
I'm camped at a spot on BLM land for the second night just outside the southeast edge of Capitol Reef, near "Halls Overlook".

My headache is 95% gone now, gone enough that I did a short hike today: "Headquarters Canyon" -- only one dose of ibuprofen all day. And I also banged my head again entering the camper this morning...I'm just not used to wearing a hat, so I lose head-clearance awareness when I do!
And I really do miss my fridge, the ability to keep foods cold without ice...and the ability to enjoy ice cream and bring frozen meat, frozen homemade chili, etc. from home! How did I do it for those decades (prior to 5 years ago) without one?!
I plan to be in the same area at dawn tomorrow for photo-ing under better light.

I may spend the rest of my trip at/near Capitol Reef NP...certainly much-more-than-enough here to occupy my feet, eyes, camera for another 6 days. I head home May 20.
Full report with a lot more photos later.
- Mark

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

I will be in that area early next week. Will try to ring you up, also Tuna is poking around there somewhere.

Jeff

I'm South of Durango right now, going to go pick up another old motorcycle. At Angel Peak, windy as hell! Been blowing all night. Not sure where I will end up tonight, only have a couple of days.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#13 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

HQ Canyon is a great area.

Glad your head is feeling better.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#14 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

Neti Pot?

#15 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

Wow! The photos of your rig parked in those gorgeous open spaces tell a great story. Must have been really relaxing and inspiring. Unfortunately, looking at the pictures while trapping in rainy Bend was enough to give me a headache...off to get some pills now :).

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#16 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

to01es.jpg

MarkBC doing what he does on the edge at Toroweap, AZ.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Got home last night. A little spaced out now...not accustomed to being in familiar surroundings. Posted Image
I'll post a report/photos when I get settled...and my bearings. By tomorrow, I expect.
Good trip. Posted Image

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

MarkBC, welcome back home!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

OK...I'm loading up the Galleries with photos from this trip to make it easy to select/include some of them for inclusion in this report -- later today.
Life runs at a slower pace for us retired guys... Posted Image

#20 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

I headed out from Bend late-afternoon Saturday, April 30…just 8 hours later than I’d hoped to do. Posted Image Oh well…I still drove half way to Fredonia, UT, that night. Posted Image

(A departure side-note: Heading east out of Bend on Highway 20, I stopped at a convenience store on Bend’s east edge to stockup on road snacks. When I got back in my rig a guy walked up to me, having seen the WTW stickers on my camper, and introduced himself as “IT Guy” from WTW.)

I spent the first night pulled off from NV 278, ~30 miles south of Carlin, Nevada…just a place in the middle of nowhere to pull over and sleep at 1:30am. Elevation 5313 ft. Getting here I fueled up (gasoline for my V10 F250) in Burns, OR and Winnemucca, NV.

Posted Image

I drove all day Sunday, May 2, fueling in Ely, NV and Cedar City, UT, and spent the night in the Dixie National Forest east of Cedar City, pulled off from UT 14 next to Swain’s Creek, a few miles west of US 89. Elevation 7783 ft. The Forest was very snowy – much more than I expected – almost didn’t find a snow-free place to pull off in that area. The overnight low was 12°!
Posted Image

Monday, May 2 my goal was to meet Stew in Fredonia, UT,at noon, from where we’d head down to Toroweap on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I fueled the truck while passing through Kanab, north of Fredonia. Stew and I connected via phone, rendezvoused in person, then caravanned ~65 miles to Toroweap, Stew leading. The dirt road was mostly high-speed graded on BLM land but degraded a bit with some washboard when we entered the Park…and became kinda bedrock-primitive in spots in the last mile. When we got into the Campground area we found Tony waiting for us – with the sad news that the c.g. was full. After confirming for ourselves that Tony was right about the c.g., Stew and I drove over to the day use area – right next to the brink – and took some photos.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Stew the photographer.

Posted Image

Rejoining patiently-waiting Tony, we followed Tony’s lead to a spot on BLM land at the southwestern base of Mt. Trumbull, where we spent the next two nights. Elevation 6610 ft. Getting there I experienced “an incident”. I got out of the truck when, near our destination, we stopped to confer, and I heard my camper propane alarm alarming. I opened the camper door and was overwhelmed (a little) by the powerful odor of ammonia – the refrigerant that makes the fridge do its thing. Bummer! Was it the bumpy roads that caused this leak/rupture/catastrophic-failure?!? Oh well… I aired out the camper…and kept the fridge closed as much as possible for the next two days to retain cold.

On May 3 Stew and I hiked the trail to the 8028-ft summit of Mt. Trumbull, the trailhead of which was very near our campsite. It was a pleasant hike, in trees until we got to the summit where there was just enough of a clearing to give a bit of a view east and southeast towards The Canyon. The red arrow in the panorama (3 photos, hand-held with my P&S, thanks to “Panorama Factory” software) points towards where Toroweap would be on the far side of the wooded buttes.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The vast majority of my camping has been/is solo – and I usually like it just-fine that way – but it was really enjoyable to spend a couple of days/nights camping with Stew and Tony. Both are interesting guys – guys who know stuff in areas that I’m mostly ignorant, so I learned some new stuff, which is always a good thing. Stew told his bear story.
On May 4, we three WTWers left Mt. Trumbull and caravanned back to Fredonia, where we went our separate ways. On the way there I (leading the pack) came upon this beauty in the middle of the road. He/she was maybe 5 feet long. Snakes are cool.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I headed on back to Kanab and re-stocked some supplies (and truck-fuel) and, most-importantly, bought an ice chest -- one of those ~disposable Styrofoam ones – that’s all that was available in Kanab, and ice. My destination for the night of May 4 was the Escalante Canyons area (of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument), but (after missing the turnoff from 89 to UT 12 and having to double-back) I only made it as far as Red Canyon C.G; elevation 7632 ft, in the Dixie National Forest.
Posted Image
(To Be Continued)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users