Tore Out Mounting Tiedown on Camper

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Well, we took out our new Ram truck and FWC Grandby for it's first shakedown run. Did a little over 200 miles total, of which about 40 of that was offroad. Had a good time and enjoyed the camper.

I did find when I got home that the front pass. side turnbuckle was laying in the bed. Curious I stuck my hand up to see if the camper mounting point was still there and was greated with torn wood and the mount loop at an angle. The turnbuckle was still adjusted (not loosened) as I use a jamb nut to prevent that. I haven't taken the camper off yet but I know I have some serious repairs to do. Kind of a bummer for our first trip out.

So, has anyone got any great ideas on repairing this type of damage and what can be done to prevent this from happening again? I know I wasn't hardcore wheeling as the truck is bone stock, with only 285/75-16 tires adding a little height.

I was surprised that the mounting loop is not attached to the actual frame and is just in the wood.

Open to ideas. Thanks!

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, I observed the same problem with mine.

It happened right before I decided to bolt the camper down thru the floor instead. B)

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

Were all the turnbuckles snug to limit how much the camper can bounce?

Back it up with a metal plate to repair it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

This happned to me too, I used aluminum reinforcement plates to back up the elevator bolts, haven't had any problems since.

Some old posts that touch on the subject here:

http://www.wanderthe...56/page__st__20

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, I had the turnbuckles set per FWC specs. I do think that corner might have already had some damage as I do recall it sitting at a slight angle. I'll have to get it off the truck and repair and then reinforce the mounts.

Also need to come up with a way to keep the screws holding the L brackets in, from coming out. Found a half dozen inside the bench storage area that were not loose before the trip.

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

Do you have any pictures of what it looks like ?

(example: can you lift the couch up and take a pic from the top)

It sounds like the previous owner might have over tightened the turn buckle at some point.

:(

The good news (maybe), depending on how bad it ripped through, it is usually an easy fix.

I will post some details shortly.

Over the years we have been making the eye nuts in the camper stronger & stronger to keep this for happening.

:)

More to follow . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I had the turnbuckles set per FWC specs. I do think that corner might have already had some damage as I do recall it sitting at a slight angle. I'll have to get it off the truck and repair and then reinforce the mounts.

Also need to come up with a way to keep the screws holding the L brackets in, from coming out. Found a half dozen inside the bench storage area that were not loose before the trip.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

No pics yet. I think from the inside it's just a hole but underneath it feels like splintered plywood. I'll know more once I get the camper off the truck.

Any ideas you have would be great. I am very surprised the mounting does not go through any metal on the frame. I would think a corner plate welded to the frame would be less likely to ever pull through.

Also Stan, any thoughts on directly mounting it to the bed? This is not going to be removed unless I am selling the truck or the camper. Down the road I am thinking of building a custom flatbed for better use of the space.

Thanks.

Mike

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

No experience with the turnbuckles but I do have 20 some years of trouble free experience with the bolt through the floor system. This was how the factory used to do it and mine was a new factory install: 4 bolts through the floor back in 1983.

A lot of gravel, wash board, and four wheeling and never an issue. After reading several of these threads I think I'll stick with the old system on my new rig.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 Crickert

Crickert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Locationsonoma county, ca

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

I had one starting to pull out, so I came up with this a fish-plate idea. 1/8 inch stainless steel metal on both sides sandwiching the damaged wood. I'll try to find a picture for you.

#10 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

I snapped a couple pics of the damage. Sorry for the one out of focus but I was shooting thru the access hole with the camera on the bed floor, shooting up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users