• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 4Wheel

4Wheel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

Hi. We loooove our new/used 2007 hawk, but are very interested in the chat about using 4" memory foam topper for the bed. Someone said they got theirs at Walmart and I was wondering what brand you got? There are a few. Also, is the topper a better way to go rather than buying the memory foam mattress? Wanting to sleep a bit better...............

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

First, welcome to the forum.

Now, I wouldn't bother with a full bed and I'm not sure it would even work. We just added a 3" memory foam topper to the trailer bed (no FWC anymore but they still let me hang around here) and it is like night and day in comfort. When we had our Eagle we used a 2" foam topper and it helped but the 3" is much better.

Don't forget the obligatory pictures of your rig.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 4Wheel

4Wheel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

First, welcome to the forum.

Now, I wouldn't bother with a full bed and I'm not sure it would even work. We just added a 3" memory foam topper to the trailer bed (no FWC anymore but they still let me hang around here) and it is like night and day in comfort. When we had our Eagle we used a 2" foam topper and it helped but the 3" is much better.

Don't forget the obligatory pictures of your rig.

Thank you, haven't loaded a pic yet, but will.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

Don't recall the brand name, but I use the 4" pad from walmart. Its 1 1/2" of memory foam on top of 2 1/2"s of standard foam. Sure beats teh stock pad all to heck.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Herve

Herve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hello. I am a brand new owner of a Hawk. Wow!!! Will post pics soon.

The bed is really hard. I see 3 options:
1/ replacing the foam inside the cushions with softer material (such as what you suggest: 1/2" of memory foam on top of 2 1/2"s of standard foam) => need to cut the foam to fit in the multiple cushions
2/ adding a memory foam or latex on top of the existing cushions => where to store it after sliding the bed...
3/ getting a padded sheet => not as much padding but may be enough

Which option have people pursued and with what success?

BTW I got the "king slide" option so I can sleep in the same direction as the truck. I am tall (6'3") so this option rocks!

Herve

Don't recall the brand name, but I use the 4" pad from walmart. Its 1 1/2" of memory foam on top of 2 1/2"s of standard foam. Sure beats teh stock pad all to heck.

#6 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Someone had mentioned that the memory foam gets hard when cold. Any knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks~
DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Someone had mentioned that the memory foam gets hard when cold. Any knowledge or experience with this?
Thanks~
DR

That's just what I was going to ask!
Friends of mine got memory foam pillows for use in their VW camper-van, but found that they got "rock hard" if it's cold, so they ditched that idea. I don't know how cold...but these folks don't do hard-core winter camping, so I imagine "cold" meant 30s/40s (without heater on).
Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

The memory foam does get hard in cold weather. We also have the 1 1/2 2 1/2 Walmart combo from a previous application. Peeled the layers apart and added the thinner portion on top of the factory mattress. Top did not want to close properly. This could be worse in sub-freezing temps because the material gets quite stiff. Removed the extra foam and have been doing ok on the factory cushion, although it would be nice if it was a touch softer. Worst case, we will have a custom insert made to fit the factory cushion fabric. If I had it to do again, I'd consider having the cab-over made 2" taller to accommodate a thicker cushion.
'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

We use a down feather bed as a topper, this is with the old school 2" foam. It gets the job done but I do wish I had another 1" of foam sometimes. Contemplating ordering custom foam down the line but it really isn't that bad.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

If you look at the Tempurpedic ads they allude to the fact that body heat "activates" the foam. We had a topper in a previous life and found it way to warm to sleep on in the summer but at least it's heavy.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users