35 replies to this topic

#11 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Good to know. I have wondered if the cover was more for the protection of the fridge than to insulate it. Now that the sting of the initial purchase has worn off the cost of a cover doesn't seem so bad.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#12 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

I just installed a Engel SR70 in our camper. We have two AGM batteries and usually roll during the day, so we're not adding solar. First test in the driveway once installed was to turn the fridge on to setting 3, or middle temp. Ambiant temp was mid to high 90's. Camper was in the sun. Down to 38 degrees within four hours. Checked it the next morning, a total of 18 hours. Ice tray in freezer section was frozen. Battery monitor showed yellow while the fridge was running, but showed green once it was turned off. Will give it a camping test this weekend. Whether ARB, Engel, or whoever, seems like the electric only fridges are the way to go.

I love passing out popsicles when camping when its hot out. :lol:

Looking forward to pulling this one off. :)

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

Please do, very interested. Just camped for 2 days using the cig lighter vice the inverter and would prefer mounting one near the battery to avoid the cord running front to back.

I got these two types in, I don't really like the fit with the ARB plug when it would come to road vibration. They would work fine standing still though. I'm going to use the type on the right for the power ports in my new camper.
Posted Image

To stick with the standard plug unmodified it'd probably be best to try and get a merit socket rather than a cig socket (you take that red piece off the stock plug to make the switch). I've only seen a few listed up on ebay while quickly searching so far:
http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-DC-power-MERIT-socket-fridge-Light-extension-/390212682711?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ada7d03d7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merit-socket-motorcycle-BMW-TRIUMPH-YAMAHA-HARLEY-/180563837919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item2a0a7183df

However I'm leaning towards splicing in a set of SAE 2 prong connectors in the cord (with an inline fuse to replace the one in the main plug, they sell the connectors with heavier gauge wire available). Which will allow me to remove the stock plug to plug into a similar SAE 2 prong wire hardwired to my aux battery. When I want to take the fridge elsewhere I can plug the stock cig plug back in and use that with normal cigarette power locations.
Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#14 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

My personal favorite for indoor 24VDC and 12VDC is the Anderson Powerpole. Standard is red and black for our 12VDC systems and it is also a standard for interconnect in ham radio usage so our radios might get power from others in emergency times. They do come in other colors. The smaller housing choices are 15 and 30 amps. Crimp or solder contacts, your choice. Easy to put together.

http://www.andersonp...connectors.html

These are carried by a lot of places, and also at local electrical supply houses and some of them in my local hardware store even. I buy them buy the bag since I use so many. For more weather resistant situations I often use the SAE however. Eastern Beaver and others (like solar suppliers) supply a bulkhead mount version with 12 or 14GA wire pigtails. Good for solar panel exterior exits. If you like weather sealed inline connectors you might look at the Sumitomo MT line like this page has
http://www.easternbe...M-MT/sm-mt.html
These like many are crimp type. Also you can get SAE molded pigtails with weather plugs from that supplier.

http://batterytender...al-harness.html An easy local source for these for most folks is a motorcycle store. Fuse, SAE plug and weather cover for about $7.50, all molded with ring terminals at one end. This was meant for putting on each vehicle battery in your garage.

While on the Battery Tender accessory page I just spotted this 100amp bulkhead connector that might be interesting for cabinets and solar http://batterytender...ug-black-1.html Overkill for a fridge, but might be convenient.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#15 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:33 AM

I got these two types in, I don't really like the fit with the ARB plug when it would come to road vibration. They would work fine standing still though. I'm going to use the type on the right for the power ports in my new camper.
Posted Image

Thanks, I think I like the one on the right too. It would work fine for me as the fridge rides in the back seat while we are on the road and doesn't go into the camper until we are done driving.

Sunman

#16 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

The 2 pole connectors can be found at some hardware stores, order online/ship to store:

http://www.doitbest....-sku-589802.dib

The cigarette type are at West Marine, stainless steel and waterproof.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

My personal favorite for indoor 24VDC and 12VDC is the Anderson Powerpole.

We need to meet up, I'd like to see the powerpole connectors in person.

Right now I was just leaning towards the SAE 2 poles, this place has them with 12ga pigtails and good pricing: http://www.solarsell..._extensions.htm

Thanks, I think I like the one on the right too. It would work fine for me as the fridge rides in the back seat while we are on the road and doesn't go into the camper until we are done driving.

What were you planning to plug the fridge into for driving in the truck though?

Those plugs run $3.9 on digikey plus shipping, or you can get a similar one from westmarine locally but they run ~$12. Seems like a decent plug for most 12v stuff but again I found it finicky in terms of fit with ARB plug so keep that in mind.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#18 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

What were you planning to plug the fridge into for driving in the truck though?

Those plugs run $3.9 on digikey plus shipping, or you can get a similar one from westmarine locally but they run ~$12. Seems like a decent plug for most 12v stuff but again I found it finicky in terms of fit with ARB plug so keep that in mind.

There is a stock 12V cig lighter plug in the back seat of my DC Tundra so it works great for travel. In theory I could just leave it in the truck as the ARB has a low voltage cut off but I would prefer to have nothing drawing off of my truck battery while boondocking.

Not surprised at the Westmarine pricing.

Sunman

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

However I'm leaning towards splicing in a set of SAE 2 prong connectors in the cord (with an inline fuse to replace the one in the main plug, they sell the connectors with heavier gauge wire available). Which will allow me to remove the stock plug to plug into a similar SAE 2 prong wire hardwired to my aux battery. When I want to take the fridge elsewhere I can plug the stock cig plug back in and use that with normal cigarette power locations.
Posted Image

Hope this isn't too off-topic...but this photo prompted me to post this wiring-related "by the way":
On my recent camp on Pine Mt I was going to set up my solar panel (free-standing, not permanently mounted) and plug it into the receptacle I installed on the underside of my camper -- I use the type of connector shown in this photo. However, I discovered that the male tip on the end of the panel cable had broken off inside the female receptacle in the camper wall...must have happened last time I disconnected it on my last trip. This probably happened because I wasn't careful and just yanked it out, maybe off-axis -- not saying there's anythng wrong with this type of connector, and I'll replace it with same. Fortunately, I was able to pull the tip out of the hole with needle-nose pliers, so I don't have to replace the glued-in receptacle, just the part on the end of the cable.
Just thought I'd point out what can happen if not careful.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

There is a stock 12V cig lighter plug in the back seat of my DC Tundra so it works great for travel. In theory I could just leave it in the truck as the ARB has a low voltage cut off but I would prefer to have nothing drawing off of my truck battery while boondocking.

You could just rewire that plug with a fused line to the aux. battery side of your seperator. I didn't realize you already had a plug back there you were using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users