• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Seems like this thread got drailed into elecrical, but I wanted to put my 2c in on the temp vs. power issue.

Really nice little study Pods8. That seems to mirror my anichdotal experince with my edgestar 12v. I will say that the power requirnments/draw go up dramatically in consistent 80+ degree weather. I think that there is a curvalinear relationship for sure.

I can get about 3.5 days out of a charge (with some charging through the alternator) with temps consistently above 80. If temps are in the 50s then its more like 5-6 days (with some driving around).

I think the insulation on the ARB might be a little better then the edgestar though not by much. The nice thing is that the fridge will shut down when battery drops below 12v but the cabin lights and other lower requirment components will still work just fine. At least I'm not totally dead in the water.

On my recent 2 week trip I took my trickle charger with me and plugged in for 1 night and made it through with only one day of no fridge. I was driving quite a bit though and this helped. I also had mine set to 37 degrees.

I am now actively looking for a solar set up. I think I will need one for those longer trips. Anything that could help....right?

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#22 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

I think there are some postings out there that the edgestar pulls more amps over a 24hr period in the same running conditions. Maybe like 50%+ if I'm recalling correctly???

I had my fridge running COLD (beers and the young'ns whole milk, etc.) last weekend for 2 days along with my fantastic fan and hardly but a dent in the batteries (green light was still shining fine on the FWC panel, I didn't bother to check the voltage). 90deg daytime and high 60s? at night. However I'm running quite a bit larger battery bank at 210ah. I think you're running a basic marine battery right? If so those are probably more like 70ah.

Yeah the ARB has a voltage shutoff as well, but I don't like to run my batteries down anywhere near where the shutoff settings are. (Low is like 10.1V and high is 11.8V if I recall correctly).

In general for the money right now my leaning is towards a dual battery bank before I'd get into solar personally. Unless you're sitting parked for over a week I'd suspect that would carry you though and you have the reliability of not banking on the sun being out. If after the dual batteries you want more capacity or you're not getting good charging off your truck and don't want to mess with that I'd probably then go solar. Obviously if a good deal on solar falls in your lap who's would turn that down though. :lol:

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#23 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

You could just rewire that plug with a fused line to the aux. battery side of your seperator. I didn't realize you already had a plug back there you were using.

Hmmmmm... You are a wise man.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#24 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

I think there are some postings out there that the edgestar pulls more amps over a 24hr period in the same running conditions. Maybe like 50%+ if I'm recalling correctly???

I had my fridge running COLD (beers and the young'ns whole milk, etc.) last weekend for 2 days along with my fantastic fan and hardly but a dent in the batteries (green light was still shining fine on the FWC panel, I didn't bother to check the voltage). 90deg daytime and high 60s? at night. However I'm running quite a bit larger battery bank at 210ah. I think you're running a basic marine battery right? If so those are probably more like 70ah.

Yeah the ARB has a voltage shutoff as well, but I don't like to run my batteries down anywhere near where the shutoff settings are. (Low is like 10.1V and high is 11.8V if I recall correctly).

In general for the money right now my leaning is towards a dual battery bank before I'd get into solar personally. Unless you're sitting parked for over a week I'd suspect that would carry you though and you have the reliability of not banking on the sun being out. If after the dual batteries you want more capacity or you're not getting good charging off your truck and don't want to mess with that I'd probably then go solar. Obviously if a good deal on solar falls in your lap who's would turn that down though. :lol:

Ya, that's good advice. I think I will upgrade the battery and go dual. Cheaper to I bet.

Thanks Pods

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#25 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

I finally got around to meeting up with K7MDL (Thanks!) and checked out what those anderson powerpoles are like in person. Decided those were nice and reasonable route to go so I picked up some and build this harness for running my fridge w/o using the cig plug which should have reliable results while bouncing around. Easy enough to plug the cig plug back on when I need to:

Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#26 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

I finally got around to meeting up with K7MDL (Thanks!) and checked out what those anderson powerpoles are like in person. Decided those were nice and reasonable route to go so I picked up some and build this harness for running my fridge w/o using the cig plug which should have reliable results while bouncing around. Easy enough to plug the cig plug back on when I need to:

I'm running anderson connectors on my fridge as well (It must be ham radio thing, I'd never used them until I got my 'nerd name' now I have them all over the place!). I've had my fridge in the bed of my truck the last couple weekends with other crap sliding around and the anderson connectors have stayed connected 100% of the time. I made an adapter from the RV/5th wheel plug in the bed of my truck to an anderson connector so I have easy 12v power in the bed everywhere I go.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#27 24hoursofnevada

24hoursofnevada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

Sorry I'm late to chime in, but ARB and Engel both make hard mount wiring harnesses for their fridges.

Hardwire kit

http://www.sierraexp...t_detail&p=1043

And a posi-fit kit.
http://www.sierraexp...t_detail&p=1001

There are also "Locking" 12 Volt cigarette style aux. ports available. I've used them in places such as the Nevada Trophy and Rubicon and have never had an accessory plug come unplugged.

#28 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Sorry I'm late to chime in, but ARB and Engel both make hard mount wiring harnesses for their fridges.

Hardwire kit

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1043

And a posi-fit kit.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1001

There are also "Locking" 12 Volt cigarette style aux. ports available. I've used them in places such as the Nevada Trophy and Rubicon and have never had an accessory plug come unplugged.

A couple dollars for some connectors is preferable to $26 for another plug to someone like me that likes working on things.

The problem with the "locking" 12 plugs is you need both the socket and plug to be compatible with each other, the ARB stock plug in a locking socket didn't provide a fit I liked. So it would have required lopping off the ARB plug (which is fused) to add a new plug and fuse holder. Again I thought just adding the connectors and fuse holder to be a nicer route.

#29 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

pods8,

it's been about 3 1/2 years since you started this thread so I brought it back to life hoping to hear if you are still pleased with the ARB 50?

The fridge is very expensive up here so I don't want to buy one without getting some real feedback from an owner.

Thanks in advance.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#30 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

I like mine but it hasn't seen too much camping duty (my build got derailed and I sold my FWC thinking I would be done with the build sooner...).  I have our van wired for it and have used it on road trips, etc.  It regularly gets used at our house to hold excess beverages in the meantime.  IE it has had a good amount of run time on it both AC and DC. 

That said if I was in the market I'd likely take a look at the truck fridges that are now out due to their lower cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users