#1 Bajaxplorer

Bajaxplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

FYI to anyone interested in such trivia.
Knowing my 2010 Hawk weighed a lot more than the Mfr tag says, I decided to find out by weighing it. First truck was weighed without it and then with it after getting the camper loaded for a trip I'm about to make AZ>NV>ID>WY>CO>NM>AZ.

Weighed both times at same truck stop and CAT scale. Truck = 2009 Dodge Power Wagon (2500).

..........................................front axle...rear axle......gross
Truck without camper:.........4,040........2,980.........7,020
Truck with the camper:........4,100........4,560.........8,660

Tag on the Hawk shows weight as 740lbs, base model no options (mine has most options except rack and solar).
So it looks like my loaded camper weighs in at about 1,640 lbs. Really hard for me to believe that FWC optional equipment, clothes, food and other gear I've loaded equals an additional 900 lbs.
Weights do not include my wife, myself, or dog (an add'l 500 lbs).
Curious about other Hawk owners info on their camper's weight. Anyone?

I'm lost, but I'm making good time. Beer is good food. Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon. Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy. Beer is water that has reached it's full potential.

#2 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Like I Have said in previous posts, some manufacturers advertise weight before options and some advertise weight with options (finished weight). Once I found that out, I through the weight issue out the window and concentrated on what I liked about each manufacturers product. That's how I made my final decision on what to buy. Once people get over the weight thing, it is easy to just go through the different campers and buy what you think will best fit your needs.

Good Camping

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#3 Bajaxplorer

Bajaxplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

Weight was never a consideration for me. I wanted a Hawk and that's what I went shopping for. How much it actually weighed only became an issue to me when people asked me how much it weighed and I did not know. I usually said "the tag says 740, but I suspect it to be around 1,200-1,300 lbs". Decided to weigh it so that I would know and be able to say with some accuracy.

I'm lost, but I'm making good time. Beer is good food. Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon. Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy. Beer is water that has reached it's full potential.

#4 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

FYI to anyone interested in such trivia.
Knowing my 2010 Hawk weighed a lot more than the Mfr tag says, I decided to find out by weighing it. First truck was weighed without it and then with it after getting the camper loaded for a trip I'm about to make AZ>NV>ID>WY>CO>NM>AZ.

Weighed both times at same truck stop and CAT scale. Truck = 2009 Dodge Power Wagon (2500).

..........................................front axle...rear axle......gross
Truck without camper:.........4,040........2,980.........7,020
Truck with the camper:........4,100........4,560.........8,660

Tag on the Hawk shows weight as 740lbs, base model no options (mine has most options except rack and solar).
So it looks like my loaded camper weighs in at about 1,640 lbs. Really hard for me to believe that FWC optional equipment, clothes, food and other gear I've loaded equals an additional 900 lbs.
Weights do not include my wife, myself, or dog (an add'l 500 lbs).
Curious about other Hawk owners info on their camper's weight. Anyone?

Was that stocked with all your camping gear and water too, or just an empty camper? Jacks on or off? 900# seems like an extreme variance.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#5 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

According to the FWC website, my '04 Hawk with options comes in at 969lbs. dry. Add all the goodies and I figure The camper weighs about 1300lbs, maybe more. Where did you get a 500lb. dog?!?!??? (j/k) :)
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#6 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

My loaded Hawk really over taxed my Tundra. When it came time to replace it I did so with a 3/4 ton truck. The 3/4 ton handles it so much better and I can actually stop the rig when I want too. The Tundra with the Hawk couldn't get out of it's own way....and you really needed to plan in advance to stop the rig....forget any kind of panic stop.

I think people really under estimate the weight of all of the gear/water/food/etc. that they pack for a trip. I know I did.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

Interesting post. I've always suspected mine weighed in around 1300-1400lbs loaded, maybe I'm still underestimating it.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 Bajaxplorer

Bajaxplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

Was that stocked with all your camping gear and water too, or just an empty camper? Jacks on or off? 900# seems like an extreme variance.

That is fully stocked, water, food, beer, clothes, recovery gear, tool box and I never leave the jacks on the camper. As stated before I have most options plus a group 31 battery.

jcfly, the 500 lbs was for my 300 lb dog, wife and self .

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:11 AM

My loaded Hawk really over taxed my Tundra. When it came time to replace it I did so with a 3/4 ton truck. The 3/4 ton handles it so much better and I can actually stop the rig when I want too. The Tundra with the Hawk couldn't get out of it's own way....and you really needed to plan in advance to stop the rig....forget any kind of panic stop.

I think people really under estimate the weight of all of the gear/water/food/etc. that they pack for a trip. I know I did.

:D Exactly! My F250 Super Duty/Granby is near max when I have a couple hundred lbs of trailer tongue weight on the rear. I originally had it on an F150 and now that I know the true weight :o Ignorance is not bliss.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#10 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

My granby loaded for a week with 2 dudes weighed in at 1500#. But with a 3/4 ton truck I really don't care :D

I figured it was all the crap I added that put me over the top - 160 pounds in water alone. Probably 50 pounds for the beer, booze and beer cooler. 50+ pound battery. Etc, Etc, Etc. Oh and a cast iron skillet, gridle and dutch over don't help keep things light. Oopps.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users