Photo
- - - - -

Blasphemy! Considering a travel trailer?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I sell the FWC & Buy a Travel Trailer? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I sell the FWC & Buy a Travel Trailer?

1. Sell the FWC & Get a TT (8 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Keep the FWC (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

Looks like a great vintage find UHAULER. Glad to see that silver Ford is treating you well, it's funny how close I came to buying that exact truck.

I might be one of the few who think a small camp trailer would be ideal. I picked up an old (1977) 15' trailer. I nicknamed it KINDLING :lol: It didn't cost a bunch of money so if it doesn't work out I will either sell it or burn it.

Posted Image

Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#12 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

the big problem with the 5th wheel is I am always pulling doubles as I always have the Rhino or the boat

If this approach were generally legal in Oregon, (It is if I can figure out how to license my pickup as a commercial vehicle) It's what I'd do. The first and foremost reason I had a camper and am in the market for another one is towing ability, the second, (sorta) is the PITA factor travel trailer towing in the woods, for me it's mainly a ground clearance issue. The truth is I think the price per sq ft for living and storage space is highest for a camper. You mentioned possibly children, I have two boys and can say the as they get older hauling them doesn't get easier, it just changes forms. The change goes from storage needs for extra clothes and diapers, to bicycles, fishing poles and a buddy, to rod cases, waders, float tubes and copious quantities of food and beverage. To sum it up if your seriously considering expanding your family base, have stuff, and do more "Base" type camping and less "Tour" camping I'd consider a trailer. You mentioned Casita or Scamp. If you are unaware the following link is sorta the gateway to the fiberglass egg cult. I've stayed a night or two in a couple different fiberglass brands and find them to my liking.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/index.html

Best of Luck with your decision

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#13 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

Long range: Do the trailer now and plan ahead for getting another FWC or ATC in the future. The ability to unhitch and leave a base camp to return to is great. The trailer also accommodates more folks comfortably. Mileage is worse, however.

If we want to stay in an area for an extended period to explore the sights, etc., the trailer is the choice. If we want to boondock for a few days or travel fast to something, the ATC is the choice.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

As mentioned it just depends on what you'll use it for. I like the freedom and ease of having a pop-up truck camper. I can wander around on roads, easily turn around, etc. However since I'll be having a 4 person family in the near future I hear you on the family friendly part and decided my Hawk wasn't a good fit. However I still wanted a popup truck camper for the perks it holds so that is why I'm building my custom one for a flatbed which will hopefully work for us and the boys.

Trailer have their place as well and in an ideal world one could have both! :P As mentioned above it might not be a bad idea to try one out for a weekend before committing though.

The best thing was remote control electric jacks. Easy off the truck down and up. The bad thing about the midwest is the sun beating on the camper. I got the idea to get the FWC Grandby, nice and lite 800" compare to 2400" 4 season. Not so easy to take off truck. The first time using the battery drill I thought boy are you stupid for buying this camper.

Considering the jacks are just accessories its pretty silly to compare them in that manner. You could just as easily have electronic jacks on the FWC if you wanted to pay for them and just as easily have manuals on the larger hard sided camper if you didn't pay the extra for electronic ones.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

I had a trailer before I got my FWC. In all honesty, I think it was smaller than the Hawk. I had a 1973 boler. Sweet little unit but it was brutal for me to sleep in. I'm 6'3" and couldn't stretch out completely. The trailer has its ups and downs, even though mine was so large, would have fit in the back of my truck... You have to pay attention more to parking spots when grabbing groceries, watch out for the unexpected dead end too!! We're younger so kids aren't in the equation (just yet, ask the wife...) The one really, really nice thing with the trailer was the near unlimited room to pack stuff. I had a canopy on my truck plus the trailer. I could haul several coolers, a table, tons of firewood, water, etc. We could pack as much clothes as we wanted, throw them in a duffle and they'd just lay on the trailer floor. One thing I really did like too, was the ability to go somewhere without packing up, makes a huge difference.

Its a tough choice, I partially went through that myself. Significant trade off's. I too have a sloped parking pad, its not always the easiest getting this FWC on and off. Parking the trailer was significantly easier.

So if you do get a trailer, I don't think anybody here would care, you just have to post more adventures and pictures to make up for it!!

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

<snip>

So if you do get a trailer, I don't think anybody here would care, you just have to post more adventures and pictures to make up for it!!

x2!

I think we would care.....but certainly understand. Possibly starting a family? That is a huge step. Good for you two and best of luck!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 UHAULER

UHAULER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNevada City, Ca

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:16 AM

Looks like a great vintage find UHAULER. Glad to see that silver Ford is treating you well, it's funny how close I came to buying that exact truck.

So far it's been good, I've had it about 10 months and put on about 13k miles.

2003 Ford f150 supercrew

1998 Ford E350 van

2012 yz250

#18 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm surprised that no one has suggested this yet. You have a trailer now that the camper sits on when not on the truck. Why not make it so that you can tie it down to the trailer? I know that this doesn't solve the more space for a family issue, but it would give you a taste of trailer camping for very little out of pocket expense and would eliminate the hassle of loading and unloading the camper.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

Not saying anything that hasn't been before...but my 2ยข anyway Posted Image

The reason I got a camper -- particularly a lightweight/nimble one like the FWC:
I can go anyplace with my camper that my truck can go alone...
...including roads that I end up having to back down. I'm sure there are folks who can tow a trailer (and maybe even back a trailer) almost anyplace I can drive and anyplace I have driven, but it's not something I'd want to do. Even if it's do-able, it's gotta be harder.

The reason I sometimes wish I had a trailer:
The ability to drive off from camp without having to pack up.
Yes, the top drops down in seconds, but that's not the issue. I have stuff "deployed" (i.e., strewn about) in the camper that I can't drive with in that state. If I'm going to drive anyplace other than down a nice paved road I have to make sure stuff is secured back there...not going to drive off with a tea kettle and pan sitting on the stove.
(it's for this reason that I've considered buying and carrying-with a dual-sport motorcycle with my camper -- for running errands and getting supplies...driving somewhere to get a cellular signal...just exploring. But I frequently camp in the winter, and it seems like snowy/icy roads and motorcycles aren't the best combination Posted Image)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

You mentioned Casita or Scamp. If you are unaware the following link is sorta the gateway to the fiberglass egg cult. I've stayed a night or two in a couple different fiberglass brands and find them to my liking.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/index.html

Best of Luck with your decision

Thanks for the link!
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users