• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

I found a trailer wing at a yard sale. It is big but comes on and off quick. It does work well and stops all wind noise.

That looks like a nice set up Bill . . . . how do you have it mounted? Yakima Rack bar? Home made system?
Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:26 AM

That looks like a nice set up Bill . . . . how do you have it mounted? Yakima Rack bar? Home made system?
Richard

Here is a link to the wing I have, I paid $50 for it at a yard sale.
http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-classic-wd200/

#13 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

Here is a link to the wing I have, I paid $50 for it at a yard sale.
http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-classic-wd200/

Thanks Bill - I am going to do some follow-up on this. Did you notice any diierence in MPG when you added the air foil?

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#14 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

I posted some info on my setup awhile back on these pages:

http://www.wanderthe...43/page__st__10
&
http://www.wanderthe...43/page__st__20

Not the cheapest route, but solid, good looking, super quiet, no buffeting in really high winds of passing semis, etc. Also really glad I have a larger fairing since putting the 100 watt slide out / removable solar panel under the cabover.

A month ago, the wife and I climbed some peaks about 120 miles from home, went over two mountain passes, one at 12,000 feet, the other at 10,000. On the way home, we fueled up in a town before the passes leaving us 100 miles to go, got 21MPG with a supercharged 4.0 V6 at 50-60 MPH.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#15 Meach4x4

Meach4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSt George, UT

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:41 AM

I've been thinking of putting together a fairing for the front of my 2009 Eagle on my 2004 Tacoma. Here are my thoughts so far:

1) There is quite a large gap between the cab and the bottom of the camper, since the newer models have taller cabs.

2) The large gap is wasted space, and not good aerodynamics.

3) If you mount anything to the top of the cab, you would have to remove it whenever you take the camper off, so why not attach it to the bottom of the cabover part of the camper?

4) If you attach to the cabover, you could use a box that is the max size of the space between the cab and cabover, make solid side doors that open, insulate the top (to insulate the bed area), and slant the front to create a wind deflector.

5) The box should be as light as possible, so make the frame of aluminum angle and skin it with light aluminum sheeting. If there was a place to buy FRP cheaper than aluminum skin, use that.

Right now I'm getting my suspension upgrades completed, but the next project is the aero box.

Gil
2009 FWC Eagle SOLD!!!
2004 Toyota Tacoma SOLD!!!

#16 Herve

Herve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

I found a trailer wing at a yard sale. It is big but comes on and off quick. It does work well and stops all wind noise.

Bill, how do you like how the trailer wing you got attaches to the truck? Is it as convenient as a roof rack attachment?

And, as Missing Link asked, is it improving mpg?

Thanks,

Herve

#17 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

I've been thinking of putting together a fairing for the front of my 2009 Eagle on my 2004 Tacoma. Here are my thoughts so far:

1) There is quite a large gap between the cab and the bottom of the camper, since the newer models have taller cabs.

2) The large gap is wasted space, and not good aerodynamics.

3) If you mount anything to the top of the cab, you would have to remove it whenever you take the camper off, so why not attach it to the bottom of the cabover part of the camper?

4) If you attach to the cabover, you could use a box that is the max size of the space between the cab and cabover, make solid side doors that open, insulate the top (to insulate the bed area), and slant the front to create a wind deflector.

5) The box should be as light as possible, so make the frame of aluminum angle and skin it with light aluminum sheeting. If there was a place to buy FRP cheaper than aluminum skin, use that.

Right now I'm getting my suspension upgrades completed, but the next project is the aero box.

Gil

Some good ideas here. I quoted your post on my build thread and am thinking about modifying some of your ideas for my build.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#18 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Bill, how do you like how the trailer wing you got attaches to the truck? Is it as convenient as a roof rack attachment?

And, as Missing Link asked, is it improving mpg?

Thanks,

Herve

Roof rack is a better attachment, mine is just straps works OK just not as solid

I have a regular Hawk so a large gap above my 2005 Tundra. The wind (buffeting) noise started at 35MPH and was terrible above 50MPH. If you open a window it stops or if you put the AC on recirculate it stops, must be a pressure thing.
I did the the 4" sq plastic tube in a V under the cabover first and it made a big difference in noise, you can see it in my avatar. Still have some above 60 MPH. The wing takes it all away.

As for mileage I would as minimal looking at my scangage may be 1 MPH.

#19 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

I thought about a re-design when putting the panel slide in but thought it might be a little too much weight. I rarely take the camper off since I don't really have a place to store it, but when I do remove it, the deflector comes off and goes back on in less than a couple minutes.

I know mine is larger than some might like visually but it makes a big difference.....I suppose that is the line of thinking you get into when you use your camper over 100 days a year for a living....

Bill, remember when you stopped by my camp and I was frantic over a dying battery? Well, aside from being in too shady a spot, it turned out the 100 watt panel was not very well connected so the system was only running off of the single 85 on the roof.

It kicks butt now, so much so that we just leave the fridge on 24/7 for the Summer loaded with food, drinks and ice cream bars.

Nice parking spot in Yosemite for your rig by the way, my wife and I met in that very spot on May 28th, 2010.... :)

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

If I added a faring/airfoil, I'd consider mounting it to the cabover. It would always be in place and no need for another removal step if you're taking the camper off the truck. I appreciate the good information and ideas posted here and in other threads. To help with the discussion, here are photos of methods of mounting that have been posted before that I have saved in my files for reference.The reenforced triangle looks to be the strongest of the two mounting supports. Kodachrome's cutaway for access to the front clasps is good and a needed design feature - as seen in his posts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Faring - Custom 1.JPG
  • faring - custom 2.JPG
  • Faring Custom #6.JPG.jpg
  • Faring Custom #7.JPG.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users