33 replies to this topic

#21 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

Sometimes I daydream about creating some sort of modular fiberglass nose that would attach to the front of the popup, similar to the Phoenix design.
Then I could market them all to you guys and quit my day job! :lol:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#22 gerrymoose

gerrymoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

Just wondering how much does that Eagle weigh on the 01 Tacoma? I just bought a 2011 Tacoma TRD, and have a 6ft Fleetwod Pop up that fits into a 6ft bed? The Fleetwood weigh 925 lbs, and the cargo capacity for the 2011 Tacoma is 1415 lbs. Do you know the cargo capacity for the 2001 Tacoma? How did the truck ride with the Eagle? I carried my Fleetwood camper in an 88 SR5 4x4 4 cylinder, and it road real well. I did install spring stiffners which seemed to help. I also had the camper in an 01 Tacoma, but it didn't seem to sit very well at highway speeds and caused my truck to sway quite a bit. I sold the truck before I could figure out what was causing it. I'm hoping that my new Tacoma will carry it real well, and if there were any kind of adjustments or attachments I needed to put on the truck to help things out.

#23 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

Just wondering how much does that Eagle weigh on the 01 Tacoma? I just bought a 2011 Tacoma TRD, and have a 6ft Fleetwod Pop up that fits into a 6ft bed? The Fleetwood weigh 925 lbs, and the cargo capacity for the 2011 Tacoma is 1415 lbs. Do you know the cargo capacity for the 2001 Tacoma? How did the truck ride with the Eagle? I carried my Fleetwood camper in an 88 SR5 4x4 4 cylinder, and it road real well. I did install spring stiffners which seemed to help. I also had the camper in an 01 Tacoma, but it didn't seem to sit very well at highway speeds and caused my truck to sway quite a bit. I sold the truck before I could figure out what was causing it. I'm hoping that my new Tacoma will carry it real well, and if there were any kind of adjustments or attachments I needed to put on the truck to help things out.

I have an 01 Tacoma (I started this thread I think... air foils)... This was my first trip... so I installed Firestone air suspension(fantastic)... I weighed everything I put in (starting at 750 lbs with what I had ordered as accessories). We had a canoe (60lbs and a kayak 40lbs) on the roof... full tank water and propane.... 2 30packs of beer (long trip) and a 2hp outboard for the canoe (30 lbs) all told I estimated we were at 1800 lbs camper...people, dog... total weight on the 2001. We were in wild North Maine woods... it handled great.... mileage was 16 mpg up and home 17 mpg. I can't say enough about the air suspension ... wow.
bucklsnd

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#24 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I know this is an older thread but I'd rather keep the topic in one place. I'm looking at the Yakima fairing since I have tracks for the Yakima system on top. I figure if I don't like the fairing I can improvise a better one similar to Kodachrome.

For those of you who do use a fairing how are they working out?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#25 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have an 01 Tacoma (I started this thread I think... air foils)... This was my first trip... so I installed Firestone air suspension(fantastic)... I weighed everything I put in (starting at 750 lbs with what I had ordered as accessories). We had a canoe (60lbs and a kayak 40lbs) on the roof... full tank water and propane.... 2 30packs of beer (long trip) and a 2hp outboard for the canoe (30 lbs) all told I estimated we were at 1800 lbs camper...people, dog... total weight on the 2001. We were in wild North Maine woods... it handled great.... mileage was 16 mpg up and home 17 mpg. I can't say enough about the air suspension ... wow.
bucklsnd

Assuming the improved mpg going home was a direct result of being lighter because you efficiently dispatched all that beer before your return.

#26 contento

contento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSeattle,wa

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

One day someone is going to make an airfoil out of a solar panel, and that will be awesome.

#27 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

I solved the wind buffiting problem on my '06 Tundra and 05 Hawk. I used Plywood, Yakima racks, U-bolts, and PVC. Disclamer: It will probably fly off and kill someone.

I don't know how to post photos or I would show you. You can email me.

#28 BLM

BLM

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

For a 2001 Tacoma and 2003 Eagle with a signicant gap above the cab I am using a Yakima 48" bar with Q-Towers and Q-16 clips.

A standard Yakima air deflector fits OK, and I have virtually no wind noise up to 65 mph.

Everything was purchased from Craigslist for a low price. No drilling or permanent modifications are needed. It just clamps on and seems sturdy enough.

P5280032 (Medium).JPG
P5280034 (Medium).JPG

Edited by BLM, 30 May 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#29 BLM

BLM

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

More views of the air deflector alignment on a 2001 Tacoma.
P5280031 (Medium).JPG
P5280035 (Medium).JPG

#30 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

BLM, Thanks. I just ordered your setup for my rig.   $76 total. Seems like the simpliest suloution.  

Using "setup" is slightly misleading... $76 is for the fairing only. Posts, adapters and bars sold separately, bringing the "total setup" to about $300 for folks who don't already have a Yakima rack. Also note: the autoanything.com site only showed me Ford and GMC rack systems, imports need not apply. Still it looks like an elegant solution. 

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users