• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

I'm still in with "She who finds things" and "Rascal". Leaving Thursday night and hooking up with everyone on Friday. Have to come back on Sunday though :angry:

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#82 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:37 AM

Actually if you are going to make it could you confirm again in this thread please?

The weather looks like its going to be great!

I'll be showing up sometime friday afternoon.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#83 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Looks like it is going to be a good turnout of people. We won't be there but for Camelracer or anyone else heading there from down south we will be at Washoe Lake cg Thursday night as we head south for the fall colors. Granted, there are a lot of nice places to boondock along 395 instead of hitting a cg, but we will be heading out after work and we prefer a known when arriving in the dark.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#84 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

I'm back to a maybe. Truck is in the shop. Hopefully some good news tomorrow and I'll still be able to make it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#85 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

A note for those planning on bringing dogs:

Many dogs have been killed at Black Rock because they jumped into springs that where near boiling. Plan on keeping your dog on a leash near any water that you are unsure about.

#86 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

Looks like I'll get my truck back in time. No time to clean it up nice though so you'll just have to content yourselves looking at DD's rig.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#87 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Looks like I'll get my truck back in time. No time to clean it up nice though so you'll just have to content yourselves looking at DD's rig.

Great Craig look forward to seeing you there.

#88 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

It's looking now that I won't be going to the Alvord first, may not leave town until Friday morning, so I won't be taking the route I suggested that heads SW from Denio.

Just wondering what route Dirty Dog or Home Skillet are taking from Bend to get to Soldier Meadows?
I've been to the Black Rock plenty of times, and I usually go through Cedarville and Gerlach.
But I've never had Soldier Meadows as my primary destination, so just wondering if some of the more obscure roads that come in from the north or west would be shortcuts to S.M. or if they'd just end up being "interesting" explorations that would take much longer than taking the obvious route and then heading back north. Posted Image

Input from anyone else, too?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#89 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:11 AM

It's looking now that I won't be going to the Alvord first, may not leave town until Friday morning, so I won't be taking the route I suggested that heads SW from Denio.

Just wondering what route Dirty Dog or Home Skillet are taking from Bend to get to Soldier Meadows?
I've been to the Black Rock plenty of times, and I usually go through Cedarville and Gerlach.
But I've never had Soldier Meadows as my primary destination, so just wondering if some of the more obscure roads that come in from the north or west would be shortcuts to S.M. or if they'd just end up being "interesting" explorations that would take much longer than taking the obvious route and then heading back north. Posted Image

I was wondering the same thing Mark. I think this time we will be doing the Gerlach route due to lack of time to look into another route. Home Skillet and I are leaving tomorrow afternoon and plan to camp on Cedar Pass in the warners. If you would like to join us shoot me a PM.

I was thinking about possibly exploring that other route on the way back although I'd prefer not to do it alone.

#90 geoffff

geoffff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:39 AM

There's always High Rock Canyon -- approaches Soldier Meadows from the northwest. Definitely "interesting"! -- a slow adventure in itself.

Posted Image

Have you heard of Getting Around in the Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon? Good detailed route information of the Black Rock area.

-- Geoff
2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/sportsmobile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users