Photo
- - - - -

Best cell phone carrier for "wandering"?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Time to get a new smart phone and sign a new 2 year contract. Can't decide who to go with, Verizon or AT&T.

Curious what folks experiences have been with these carriers as they "Wander the west". Does one stand out against the other?

Thanks!
-Rick
Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#2 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

No contest. Verizon

MT, WY, SD, CO are my primary experiences.
Hell, AT&T doesn't even work that well in Denver!
Consumer Reports rates Verizon 1st and AT&Hell last.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

We have verizon on the phone through Walmart - Straight Talk. No contract, uses the Verizon network, set price, no surprises, and cheaper than my previous deal with Verizon. We also have an IPad that is on AT&T. We have had pretty good success with AT&T, often can get a signal with it when we have nothing on the verizon cell, but at times the opposite has been true. So what has worked best is to have the two different carriers, and of course in a lot of those remote places we have nothing which is OK as well. I know AT&T has a bad rep but I have been pleasantly surprised accessing the web when way out in the sticks.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

Where I am, Verizon is really the only choice. By the way, I cut down my phone bill by getting rid of the cell plan and got a MiFi wireless hub and Verizon data plan instead. I use Skype or TextFree on my iPod Touch to turn it into an "iPhony". The only drawbacks to this are having to power up the MiFi, and you don't have 911 with most VOIP. For 911, I have my SPOT.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

Where I am, Verizon is really the only choice. By the way, I cut down my phone bill by getting rid of the cell plan and got a MiFi wireless hub and Verizon data plan instead. I use Skype or TextFree on my iPod Touch to turn it into an "iPhony". The only drawbacks to this are having to power up the MiFi, and you don't have 911 with most VOIP. For 911, I have my SPOT.

What does the data plan cost?
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#6 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:35 AM

Verizon.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#7 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

What does the data plan cost?

Varies depending on the data plan, which always seem to be changing. If you only need email, sending/receiving calls and updates to WtW, with some websurfing you can get by with the lower GB download plans. Mine costs $40 per month after all the hidden fees. It was part of a MiFi/iPad bundle plan.

If you plan on streaming movies, it might not be very cheap...

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#8 MakersTeleMark

MakersTeleMark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:58 AM

Verizon in Colorado. Or a sat phone in the fun places.

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

Verizon in Nor Cal.

Use an Android phone and you can use your annotated google maps (I even copied spots and info from WTW :) ) and it's accessible on your phone. Go one step farther with BackCountry Nav Pro ($10 app) and you can have GPS capability even without cell signal. It's even possible to take data from google maps and download a klm file which you will have on your BC Nav maps, again without any cell signal.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:08 AM

Verizon in CA, CO and AZ.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users