Photo
- - - - -

Best cell phone carrier for "wandering"?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

Might have to look for camping apps.

Campwhere seems to be a good app.

Hmmm....when is Camping-USA going to have/be a smartphone app? Posted Image
For Android, anyway -- don't care about the other one.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#22 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

ATT + South central Utah = no signal

We use the pay and talk plan

We will get a Verizon phone next time, and keep ATT as well.

#23 Addie

Addie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

I use Walmart's Straight Talk $45/month unlimited with one of their cheap phones- uses what ever carrier is strongest- also know that the Android thats available with that plan DOESNT have the same coverages as the cheap flip phone from there.. *upgraded- found that out, now have 2 phones one for internet in town- and the other for everywhere else..
'99 F250SD 4x4 CC SB

#24 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

I use Walmart's Straight Talk $45/month unlimited with one of their cheap phones- uses what ever carrier is strongest- also know that the Android thats available with that plan DOESNT have the same coverages as the cheap flip phone from there.. *upgraded- found that out, now have 2 phones one for internet in town- and the other for everywhere else..

I believe that Straight Talk only uses Verizon, at least that is everything I have been able to find. It is a subsidiary of Tracfone. There are times I can't get a cell signal on my Straight Talk phone but at the same time am getting signal from AT&T on the Ipad.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#25 Addie

Addie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

I believe that Straight Talk only uses Verizon, at least that is everything I have been able to find. It is a subsidiary of Tracfone. There are times I can't get a cell signal on my Straight Talk phone but at the same time am getting signal from AT&T on the Ipad.

From what I was told when I talked to a rep was " It the phone ends in a "C" it is CDMA and runs on Verizon. Phones that end in "G" or the Smart phones run on at&t's GSM/UMTS network. " the coverages are here http://www.straighttalk.com/Coverage there is a big difference in Coverage between the two kinds of phones..
'99 F250SD 4x4 CC SB

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:59 AM

I've noticed my new smartphone doesn't get, or seem to get, going by bars, as good reception as my old phone. I need to do further testing.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

From what I was told when I talked to a rep was " It the phone ends in a "C" it is CDMA and runs on Verizon. Phones that end in "G" or the Smart phones run on at&t's GSM/UMTS network. " the coverages are here http://www.straighttalk.com/Coverage there is a big difference in Coverage between the two kinds of phones..

:o That is a big difference, mine is CDMA, therefore Verizon. They don't even market the others down here in S. NM. For $30 a month it's a good deal for me, no friggin contracts and roaming, etc. I had a Verizon contract before and they would always find a way to put it to me.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#28 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

We have both. AT&T for me and my wife and she also has a Verizon phone for her business. We enjoy going out in the Owyhee Desert. Sometimes it's AT&T with service or sometimes it's Verizon. What is really strange is that sometimes I have service with my free cheapo AT&T phone while my wife does not with her AT&T smart phone!!!

Up at the snowmobile cabin near Cascade ID Verizon works good and no AT&T.

Lovecock rents a satellite phone for their outings.

I carry a SPOT for emergencies.
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#29 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Most of my travels are on the east side of the Sierra, and Verizon is much better than AT&T.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Anyone with T-Mobile (as I was until October) should be seeing broader coverage with this development, an outcome of the failed acquisition of T-Mobile by AT&T:

T-Mobile USA and AT&T's seven-year UMTS roaming agreement gets detailed

From the great cellphone (mostly smartphone) blog EngadgetMobile, a subset of the great all-things-tech blog Engadget.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users