Photo
- - - - -

Best cell phone carrier for "wandering"?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#11 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Verizon in eastern WA and eastern OR and the east side of CA. I had ATT for a number of years, then switched to Verizon and every one of my regular locations has better service with Verizon.
FWC-Owning Human

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

I'm in Gerlach, NV, posting this via Verizon.
Cheeseburger at Bruno's!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

Cheeseburger at Bruno's!

Cheeseburger at Bruno's!

:rolleyes: :P

That happens to me as well when I try and post from my iPhony.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#14 orion

orion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationDixon, CA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Verizon seems to reach a lot farther into the fringe areas (mountains and coast line). I dropped AT&T for Verizon a while back.

#15 White Dog

White Dog

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNiverville, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

I admit I have limited experience with cell phones but when we travel in the southwest during the winter, we use TracFone. The local cost is a bit high but the international rates are the same. Its cheap when we call back to Canada. We have never had a problem with connection right from Arizona through to North Dakota. My brother hasn't had any problem us the west coast either. Don't know about the east. Of course, as soon as we hit the Canadian border, service stops.

The problem for Americans visiting Canada and Canadians visiting the US is lack of cellular cooperation (whatever happened to Free Trade!). Once you cross the border, the cost gets pretty high if you get service from your provider at all. I saw one poor American couple in an electronics store in Alberta trying to figure out why their service didn't work when they had been 'guaranteed' it would. Our border my be long and friendly but it seems to be largely a cellular wall.
2011 Toyota Tundra with a FWC Grandby

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

I'm on the banks of the San Juan in S UT and am on an ATT connected IPad and have no signal on my Verizon network.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

Well I finally entered the 20th century. Got my first smartphone. Htc inspire. Spent two days so far skimming the manual. By the time I get it figured out it should be obsolete ;)

Stayed with ATT because they gave me the phone for free and I still have my insanely cheap calling plan. Besides one of these days you verizon guys will have no signal and i will and I'll gloat mercilessly. And I'll never admit I have no signal :o

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

Well I finally entered the 20th century. Got my first smartphone. Htc inspire. Spent two days so far skimming the manual. By the time I get it figured out it should be obsolete ;)

The important thing, Craig, is getting https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/ bookmarked on the browser on your phone so you can keep up with what's happening in the greater camping world while camping. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, haven't figured out how to set favorites yet. Browsing on a phone is definitely different. I was surprised to find the thing comes with a pretty good map. Even has some dirt roads on it. Might have to look for camping apps.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

Yeah, haven't figured out how to set favorites yet. Browsing on a phone is definitely different. I was surprised to find the thing comes with a pretty good map. Even has some dirt roads on it. Might have to look for camping apps.

Campwhere seems to be a good app.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users