Ordered my new Raven today

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#11 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Great comments everyone. I've sent an email to FWC to see if they solved the boot problem. If not I'll take that off. I'll look deeper into the lighting. I choose LED becasue the Raven is so small and the power consumption for LED is low. I'm sorry, the portapotti is a must, I'm not going out in the woods if it's freezing. Got the water heater for hot water inside, the shower is an added bonus. I thought about the larger refer but the Raven is so small, it would take up space and the smaller is close to the larger 3 way (2.83 cf vs 3 cf). I don't have a boat so the roof rack is not required. I will get a fold out hitch mount bike rack like the Surco
Regarding the stereo, I agree it's too expensive and wasn't going to get it and use a portable unit. What sold me was the fact I would get the camper prewired so I could upgrade later if I wanted. Also, the owner of my company recommended it and since we're a pro audio company, that's a pretty solid recommendation.

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Another congrats from me too, Bob. You'll be loving it and San Diego County has a lot of backcountry to explore without driving very far. I used to enjoy Anza-Borrego when I lived down there.

I like your build list with a few suggestions:
*Save $$$ on the arctic pack- you can do your own for a fraction of the cost
*I'm in the 'install tracks' camp. You'll be amazed at all the ways they come in handy
*I would skip the rear floods. A powerful handheld flashlight can do much more for you.
*The Surco rack looks cool, but you if want to maintain access to the door and save about $200+ you can hang bikes vertically off the back. See Bike mount thread

Once you get mounted up, post some pics!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

I included the stereo in my option list and I use it all the time.

If you want to save some space.....just plug an mp3 player in as an auxiliary input. My mp3 player has around 150 cd's loaded into it. No need to haul them all over the place.

mp3 player and USB port.JPG

And like others have suggested add the roof tracks for future use. Let the experts drill the roof and then it's warrantied against leaks. Adding roof tracks later yourself would be a real pain as you wouldn't know where the frame structure is underneath that screwless roof.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#14 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

BobM,
Here is a thread you might find interesting on the interior lighting options:
interior lighting

On the frig, did the larger model intrude on floor space or was it just taller? I haven't seen any pictures of these new 2 ways.

I too have been debating the roof tracks. Don't really need a roof rack but you never know.
A lot holes to punch in the roof :huh: is my concern.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#15 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

BobM,
Here is a thread you might find interesting on the interior lighting options:
interior lighting

On the frig, did the larger model intrude on floor space or was it just taller? I haven't seen any pictures of these new 2 ways.

I too have been debating the roof tracks. Don't really need a roof rack but you never know.
A lot holes to punch in the roof :huh: is my concern.

I never made it up there to see the options. Fred just thought that the 80 was plenty for the Raven. It is 2.83 cu ft and will draw less power. This is not the first time I ordered something sight unseen. I leased my last VW Phaeton from a chicago dealer without looking at it, so hopefully I'll be just as pleased. Regarding roof racks, if I was an extream outdoorsman, I would get them. The only toys I would bring along are bikes. And I just wouldn't want to take stuff off the roof every time I wanted to pop it up. The whole reason I got the raven was I wanted to travel light.

#16 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Another congrats from me too, Bob. You'll be loving it and San Diego County has a lot of backcountry to explore without driving very far. I used to enjoy Anza-Borrego when I lived down there.

I like your build list with a few suggestions:
*Save $$$ on the arctic pack- you can do your own for a fraction of the cost
*I'm in the 'install tracks' camp. You'll be amazed at all the ways they come in handy
*I would skip the rear floods. A powerful handheld flashlight can do much more for you.
*The Surco rack looks cool, but you if want to maintain access to the door and save about $200+ you can hang bikes vertically off the back. See Bike mount thread

Once you get mounted up, post some pics!

The reason i like the surco is that the bikes swing out of the way so you do have access to the door. I've seen that topic on the rear rack option. My only issue with that is you have to store two dirty tires either in your camper or back seat.

#17 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'm with you on the PorttiPotti and my wife agrees, so much so... that she wanted the deluxe version with the electric pump for the water flush (so, she bought it). If I were to use the forest, I'd still want to pack it out.

I've had one for over a year, many dumps and refills and am still operating on the original AA batteries (I think it takes 6 of them). Still a very strong flush of water.

It's the Thetford 465.

I tried buying it from Amazon, however, they TWICE sent me the "Marine" unit (Thetford 465 MSD) that doesn't have the same dump feature as the one for "RV's". The 465 MSD is designed for dockside pumpout hookup. In this specific area Amazon has the wrong warehouse code for the RV Thetford 465. If anyone goes this way, don't try buying it from Amazon, you don't know how many times I went around via emails with Amazon. Excellent on refunds and trying again, but when the warehouse code is wrong, the wearhouse code is wrong.

I got mine from Cabellas for $135 and free shipping, however, I don't see it on their web site anymore.

AdventureRV.net has it for $119.99, plus the shipping cost.

If the electric pump ever goes out, my wife will probably just buy another complete Thetford 465 as the electric pump is not really available from Thetford as a replacement part. I tried to purchase an extra for a backup from Thetford Replacement Parts division, just in case it goes out while boondocking, however, no such part according to the nice guy on the phone and we could both see it on their web site... go figure. Interestingly enough I can purchase the electric pump from an RV place in the UK and I do have friends that will send it me in the U.S. (the UK RV place doesn't ship to the U.S.), but add up the hassle for my friends, the extra shippng costs and the delay in time, probably not worth it.

The wife "unit" has been advised that we'll be pouring water from a cup to flush, if the electric pump goes out while boondocking and she is OK with that.

So far she is very happy not having to manually pump to flush, and when she is happy, I'm happy.

#18 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

That's the same porta potti I use. I really like it because of the extra capacity! The holding tank is 5 gallons vs the 2 gallon capaicty of the standard porta potti. The 465 model is 3 or 4 inches taller too....which helps a bunch with comfort.

It just fits in the corner like it was custom made for it.

electric porta potti - DSC_0002_10001.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#19 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

That's the same porta potti I use. I really like it because of the extra capacity! The holding tank is 5 gallons vs the 2 gallon capaicty of the standard porta potti. The 465 model is 3 or 4 inches taller too....which helps a bunch with comfort.

It just fits in the corner like it was custom made for it.

electric porta potti - DSC_0002_10001.JPG

Another 465 user here, works great.

#20 Walldiver

Walldiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Congrats on the new Raven. My wife and I agree the porti potty is a must. At this point in my life it is a must. I have to go once or twice in the middle of night, used to hate to have to dress up in a tent to go out by a tree in the middle of the chilly Sierra night. Tried it in my skivys only once and froze my tail off. We went with Thetford 365 instead of the 465, thought that having the manual flush you can control the flow of the flush for conserving the fresh water. Setting up and tearing down the potty is really not that much of a hassle and never smell any odors from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users