• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

Seems every time I start a topic it always ends up in the toilet :rolleyes:

Edited by BobM, 19 March 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#22 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Did you consider the dinette?It might give you a little more room vs the couch.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#23 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

You guys are crazy spending that kind of money on toilets. :rolleyes:
Low budget tip:

toilet_seat.jpeg
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#24 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

Did you consider the dinette?It might give you a little more room vs the couch.

Frank

I saw a dinette on a hawk recently and it was really tight and would be worse on the 10" shorter Raven. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'9". Plus, there's seems to be a lot more storage under the couch

#25 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

You guys are crazy spending that kind of money on toilets. :rolleyes:
Low budget tip:

toilet_seat.jpeg

I was thinking about getting one of these, it could double as a camper step:
Posted Image

#26 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

I was thinking about getting one of these, it could double as a camper step:
Posted Image

According to most women, it could only work as camper step if there was a woman along on the trip. Otherwise, you'd really be in the toilet.

#27 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

I agree with others here I would at least get the Yakima tracks installed at the factory, you can just install any Yakima components later if you like. I'm using the Yakima "load warrior" basket on top for spare water, fuel, fire wood ect. Especially with the shorter bed you will need the room. A couple of extras I have almost never used is the rear spot lights and the awning light, in fact I dont think I have ever needed to use them. Usually when I'm camping I bring a led lantern and have led head lamps. I also highly recommend the solar panel on top. As others have stated anything that requires drilling into the roof you might as well have FWC do that at the factory as they do a good job sealing it.

Thought I better take advantage of saving $300 before the price increase tomorrow. I ordered a new Raven for my new Ram 1500 Bighorn crew cab. I posted the option I got below so weigh in if I missed something since they give you 5 days to tweek the order. They only Charge $250 to deliver it to my area and will install here so that's nice since I live in So Cal. I'm having the solar plug installed in case I decide to get a panel later. He said it should take about 3~4 weeks so I can start the new year off in style. The Raven will be a little cramped but I'd rather have that than an extended beast to drive around. I've already installed the firestone coil spring airbags so I should be good to go and the total weight will be within the truck rating so no warranty issues later since I bought a lifetime warranty on the truck. I'll post photos when I get it.

Mechanical Camper Jacks
Solar Plug
Auxiliary Battery System
Extra Battery
Arctic Pack
Refrigerator - Waeco 80 liter
Porta Potti
Portable Entry Step
Furnace
Outside Shower/ Water Heater Pkg.
DSI Water Heater upgrade
Stereo - AM/FM/CD
Ready To Go Anywhere Package
Fan-Tastic Fan
L.E.D. Lights - Ceiling
Screen Door
Front Opening Window
Front Window Boot
Awning - Side Mount 8' Box
Auxiliary Side Awning Light
Rear Wall Steps
Flood Lights (Rear)

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#28 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

That's the same porta potti I use. I really like it because of the extra capacity! The holding tank is 5 gallons vs the 2 gallon capaicty of the standard porta potti. The 465 model is 3 or 4 inches taller too....which helps a bunch with comfort.

It just fits in the corner like it was custom made for it.

I wonder if it will fit in the Raven which is 10" shorter than the hawk

#29 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

I wonder if it will fit in the Raven which is 10" shorter than the hawk

When I ordered my Hawk from FWC.....I included the Air Conditioning Option along with the standard roll-over couch. I wanted a little more room in that corner so FWC shortened the couch to comply. If you give them a measurement of the space you want in that corner....I'm sure they could easily accommodate you.

I then ended up hating the couch since it made the large side window worthless....since you spend the entire time with your back to the window staring at the utility side of the camper. The wobbly table that comes with the couch option sucked.

I then had FWC convert my Hawk to the dinette which my girlfriend and I just love. Now we can eat a meal and be looking at each other AND enjoy the view out of the large side window. I think the dinette makes a huge difference in usability....and you don't lose a bit of storage since you get a slider that connects the two boxes and you can store anything there that you'd normally store under the couch. You actually end up with MORE storage with the dinette option since you also get an extra storage cabinet.

The dinette felt cramped to me too (I'm 6' 1").....my feet were always hitting the table leg. Then I added the Lagun Table Mount (very expensive) to free up that room and now I have a dinette I love. Here's the link to the Lagun Table Mount discussion. Page 2 of the discussion has pictures of my set up:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4643/page__st__10

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#30 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

When I ordered my Hawk from FWC.....I included the Air Conditioning Option along with the standard roll-over couch. I wanted a little more room in that corner so FWC shortened the couch to comply. If you give them a measurement of the space you want in that corner....I'm sure they could easily accommodate you.

I then ended up hating the couch since it made the large side window worthless....since you spend the entire time with your back to the window staring at the utility side of the camper. The wobbly table that comes with the couch option sucked.

I then had FWC convert my Hawk to the dinette which my girlfriend and I just love. Now we can eat a meal and be looking at each other AND enjoy the view out of the large side window. I think the dinette makes a huge difference in usability....and you don't lose a bit of storage since you get a slider that connects the two boxes and you can store anything there that you'd normally store under the couch. You actually end up with MORE storage with the dinette option since you also get an extra storage cabinet.

The dinette felt cramped to me too (I'm 6' 1").....my feet were always hitting the table leg. Then I added the Lagun Table Mount (very expensive) to free up that room and now I have a dinette I love. Here's the link to the Lagun Table Mount discussion. Page 2 of the discussion has pictures of my set up:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4643/page__st__10

The Raven is 10" shorter than the hawk so I think the dinette would be way too cramped. I do agree with the window factor though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users