Truck Camper Insurance?

Overland Hadley

Contributors
Just wondering what most people have done as far as insurance for their camper? I know I should call my insurance company, but I wanted to see what most people do before I call them and they ask for more money.

If I understand correctly truck campers are covered under the trucks insurance as it is bed cargo. But does this cover the full value of the camper or only a minor portion of the cost?

My camper will not be on the truck for long periods, two to six months, so I hate to pay extra for it to be on the road when it is not. I am not concerned about much happening to it when it is not on the truck, I had the big dead tree removed that was hanging over the storage area.

Anyway, let me know what you have decided to do with insurance and if your camper is on the truck full time.

Thanks!

If I understand correctly truck campers are covered under the trucks insurance as it is bed cargo.

You should check with your insurance company/agent about this. It wasn't true in my case -- 12 years ago.
I rolled my truck with the camper mounted on it...totaled the truck and camper. (amazingly, the only injury I received was a couple of cracked ribs from the seat belt) The truck was covered and was fully replaced, but the camper was not -- my loss.

With my current camper -- which is on my truck full-time, having learned from that previous experience, I've added coverage for my camper to my truck insurance. I don't remember what it cost, but it was minor.

Maybe this varies by state...but you should check.

I have my camper insured when its on and off the truck. The cost is minor and well worth the piece of mind. It was as simple as calling the insurance company, sending them a few pictures, and providing the name of the manufacturer and the serial number of the camper.

Cort

I have my camper insured when its on and off the truck. The cost is minor and well worth the piece of mind. It was as simple as calling the insurance company, sending them a few pictures, and providing the name of the manufacturer and the serial number of the camper.

Cort

That's what I did too! I have "AAA" and doesn't cost that much, as a matter of fact, at first AAA thought I was talking about a "pop-up" trailer camper-when I added it on to my insurance and when they figured out it was a on-the truck camper it even costs less :LOL:!

Smoke

My Ins. Co. said it was covered for liability only. The cost to cover the rest was only about $75 per yr. Well worth it IMHO.

I added to my truck insurance and my insurance went down :)
I wanted to increase the coverage to more than I paid ($3500) and
was told they would only cover for what they said it was worth! :oops:
Got my policy and camper valued at $7500 :D

Cort

That's what I did too, except that my insurance agent took the photos and recorded the serial number. My cost was also minor and in my opinion, well worth it.

Okay, sounds like everybody thus far has a separate/additional coverage for the camper. Is this through your auto insurance company?

And I tried calling my insurance, but nobody was available. WTH, it is Sunday evening! :cautious:

Okay, sounds like everybody thus far has a separate/additional coverage for the camper. Is this through your auto insurance company?

On mine, I pick a value of the camper and it is added to the truck policy. Not a separate policy.
(Auto Owners Insurance)

Mine is part of my auto insurance policy but is considered a separate unit....ie not a "rider" on my truck insurance. Another interesting thing is that I have overlap with my home owners insurance. If the camper is off the truck and on the property home owners insurance will cover loss. If it is unloaded and in the street no coverage through home owners insurance. that is why i decided to insure it both ways. No matter where it is or if its on or off the truck its covered.

Cort

Mine is part of my auto insurance policy but is considered a separate unit....ie not a "rider" on my truck insurance. Another interesting thing is that I have overlap with my home owners insurance. If the camper is off the truck and on the property home owners insurance will cover loss. If it is unloaded and in the street no coverage through home owners insurance. that is why i decided to insure it both ways. No matter where it is or if its on or off the truck its covered.

Cort

Same here. My insurance (2006 Grandby) involved just calling in, give S/N and model, and is $82/yr with $500 deductible for collision ($20), comp($61), no liability required.

So:
Insurance - $82/yr
Plate registration - $10/yr
Camping trips in it - priceless :)

Never know when you are going to back up in the woods turning around in the dark and forgetting to look up with a flashlight - at least until you hear the sound of a very stiff tree branch trying to take out your camper roof top fixtures or side walls. Or so I hear...

or hail damage, or a car rear ending you, or...

I'm like Cort. It's part of my Home/Auto Bundle.

Same here. Camper's covered on or off the truck. $114 a year with Progressive, covered for $16K.

I finally got into researching this.

My State Farm agent in CA just quoted $25.60/yr. to add the 2008 Hawk to my truck policy.
I need to provide serial #, make & model, which they will do over the phone. I've been with them 20+ years, so maybe they trust me?

Deductible is $500 for collision and $500 for comp. I gave them a value of ~$9,000, but they said they would value it at replacement cost if/when there is a claim. This is similar to auto policy I think. They don't tell you what they would total the car for, unless it happens. In any case, it's a deal that I'm willing to buy.

On a similar vein, I looked into coverage for photo equipment. They quoted $7000 coverage/no deduct for $127/yr. or $3000/no deduct for $54.60. Equip must be lost to a 'named event', i.e. fire, theft, vandalism. It doesn't count when you do front flips down a desert ravine and smash your LCD ;) My home owners would also cover loss, but my deductible is $2000 :(

<snip It doesn't count when you do front flips down a desert ravine and smash your LCD ;) <snip>

What? Don't these folks live in the same world we do? :oops:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom