69 replies to this topic

#31 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Starting about a week from now -- and on into May -- I'll be free to go camping again. A trip to southeast Oregon would be nice, I haven't been there in several months -- New Years Day.
The Trout Creek Mts will probably not be accessible yet. That is, most of it may be snow-free, but all it takes is one big drift on a north-facing section of road to block full access.
It would be good to go out there before kids get out of school...including college kids -- i.e., before late-May.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#32 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Starting about a week from now -- and on into May -- I'll be free to go camping again. A trip to southeast Oregon would be nice, I haven't been there in several months -- New Years Day.
The Trout Creek Mts will probably not be accessible yet. That is, most of it may be snow-free, but all it takes is one big drift on a north-facing section of road to block full access.
It would be good to go out there before kids get out of school...including college kids -- i.e., before late-May.

Mark BC/Silvertip

Sounds possible, maybe we should start thinking about a meet point (campground) somewhere out there next week, where we could meet that is a day or two drive from Bend, Susanville and Boise (and for anyone else interested in doing this)-maybe even figure where to go from there, there? My only concerns are getting "unstuck" out there, Eastern Oregon is a whole new world for me to explore this time of the year, so I guess we need to give a call to the BLM and find out status of the Steens/Burns/SE Areas. We have some time to figure out the rest! Need to look at my new maps. Do we need to take this off-line to save thread space or are we Okay doing it this way?:lol:

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#33 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Do we need to take this off-line to save thread space or are we Okay doing it this way?:lol:

An online discussion is fine -- promotes/invites participation of others (until it gets to the point of exchanging cell-phone numbers).

If we are going to really meet out there, are we saying that it will be next week for sure and not a later week? The following week would be better for me...

#34 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Mark BC/Silvertip
That would give it another week to dry out, which would be OK by me, I was trying to figure out how to get up to Eagle Lake for a few days to test my new Battery and some other FWC things out before heading into the wilds, so that would make it easier! Have not heard from Silvertip since he mentioned the possibility (or anyone else) of a spring rendezous in Oregon since no one really wanted to take a long trip right now :lol:and that seemed like a good place to go! This being retired makes doing things like this allot easier than when I was working, so what ever is decided is fine by me. (gives me more time to play with my new bunch of maps)!

Smoke

#35 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

I'm in. I'm in. I'm in!!!!! I'll leave the time/dates up to you guys. I am very flexible. I do know it's been raining a lot and is still muddy. This weekend is 80+ but then turns to rain again next week.
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#36 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Silvertip

Glad to hear you 're alive, was beginning to wonder if you had a bad reaction to the shots! :lol: Plan to head up to the lake for a few days, probably on Sunday, guess we can figure out the wheres etc., later next week, I hear something may be coming in late next week, typical spring weather, deal with it next week or when ever!

Smoke

#37 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

I did a quick loop over the past weekend to try and catch some Lyrid Meteor shower photos. Was a bust (for me anyway) as the activity seemed minimal or they always do their thing while my head is turned. :angry: We spent one night at Hart Mtn (Hot Springs CG) and one night at Pike Creek (west side of Alvord Desert). Seems very dry, with minimal snow-pack on most ranges other than High Steens. Bodes well for early trips into the high country or back-country byways without too much risk of muddied out roads. The views I had of the Pueblo Mtns and the Trout Creek/Oregon Canyon Mtns (both straddling the OR/NV border)showed very little snow patches. Flowers starting to bloom in Pike Creek drainage also - Lupine, Daggerpod, Golden Currant, Lomatium.
FYI

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#38 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

I just bought all of this just gear for OX.

Don't you think the resemblance is uncanny.

I received a number of phone calls and emails from folks that have been following WTW but never posted here. They say they'll be coming to OX including someone from Detroit. Could be a party goin' on.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#39 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I did a quick loop over the past weekend to try and catch some Lyrid Meteor shower photos. Was a bust (for me anyway) as the activity seemed minimal or they always do their thing while my head is turned. :angry: We spent one night at Hart Mtn (Hot Springs CG) and one night at Pike Creek (west side of Alvord Desert). Seems very dry, with minimal snow-pack on most ranges other than High Steens. Bodes well for early trips into the high country or back-country byways without too much risk of muddied out roads. The views I had of the Pueblo Mtns and the Trout Creek/Oregon Canyon Mtns (both straddling the OR/NV border)showed very little snow patches. Flowers starting to bloom in Pike Creek drainage also - Lupine, Daggerpod, Golden Currant, Lomatium.
FYI

:lol:Thanks CraggyMan-sounds real dry over there-did you come in to Hart Mtn from the Plush side? Do you mean that long up-hill grade was dry and not muddy--hmmm, was almost worried that I would have to come in from Gerlach or Adel or take 395 and drop down from Burns to get into the Steens area. I just got back from Eagle Lake-real wet and rainy there, but now it's hot and sunny here. So, Mark BC and Silvertip (an anyone else) , think a trip late this next week into that country may be still on? Later in the week, still the better for me, my water tank didn't leak, the solar panels worked fine , so the truck seems ready to go, just some spring chores to catch up on and get the sand out of the camper, and I'm out of here somewhere! Speaking about the truck, those new springs worked great out in bumps and the truck ran up and down those hills like a new baby! Keep me posted!

:lol:Smoke

#40 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

...So, Mark BC and Silvertip....Keep me posted!

Smoke and Silvertip: Check your WTW messages -- I just-now sent you a PM about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users