• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Yep, everywhere we traveled (coming into Hart from Warner Valley/Plush) was bone dry. Did not get out in the hinterlands around the Alvord Playa as planned but I would surmise that it is dry also. Obviously if you ventured into the high country you might encounter sheltered snow drifts or muddy spots.... I will take the blame if anyone gets stuck ;)

Today I was in the John Day country for a long hike and it was very dry also, no major flower blooms but the Cacti were going off like crazy.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#42 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks much, looks like we may go there next week-dry, seems like the area has been infected by the lack of precip like NE Ca/NW Nev-may be a long hot summer!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#43 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

...dry, seems like the area has been infected by the lack of precip like NE Ca/NW Nev-may be a long hot summer!...

Yes, while the Oregon Cascades ended up getting a little above average snowpack, eastern Oregon ended up with only about 50% of normal snow. Now, it's a dry region in general, but 50% of dry is damn-dry. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#44 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

It looks like Smokecreek1, Silvertip47, and I are heading to southeast Oregon next week, meeting in the Steens/Alvord-Desert area May 7.
(yes, that's a Monday -- must be on retired-guy schedule Posted Image)
If anyone else is interested in joining with, let us know and we'll keep you in the loop with specifics as they form.
:)

#45 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Could you post the map of our first camp here? Thanks.
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#46 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

It looks like Smokecreek1, Silvertip47, and I are heading to southeast Oregon next week, meeting in the Steens/Alvord-Desert area May 7.
(yes, that's a Monday -- must be on retired-guy schedule Posted Image)
<snip>

Looks like you guys are going to have fun. We expect a trip report complete with missing chairs and lots of photos. Travel safe and have fun.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#47 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Could you post the map of our first camp here? Thanks.

We plan to meet up and camp at Pike Creek at the base of the east side of Steens Mt on May 7.

SE-OR_Route-Overview.jpg

The first post of my Early January... trip report has photos of this spot. That was in the dead of winter (not very wintry, but still dead), and it'll be greener this time of year.
My Retirement: First Trip report (April 2010) has photos of the then-wet Alvord Playa as well photos of Pike Creek area.
Craggyman has posted a shot of his rig there, currently shown on the home page of the Forum.
There are plenty of spots for camping in a couple-hundred-yard stretch along the Creek.

Here's a link to the BLM Burns District page for Pike Creek Trail, which includes detailed driving directions to the spot.
Here's a link to their page for Alvord Desert.

#48 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Don't count me out. Always a definite maybe... <_<

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#49 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Looks like you guys are going to have fun. We expect a trip report complete with missing chairs and lots of photos. Travel safe and have fun.

:lol:
I've trained my dog "bob" to protect my new strong back chair-so I'm safe! But he can be bought off with vodka!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#50 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

:lol:
I've trained my dog "bob" to protect my new strong back chair-so I'm safe! But he can be bought off with vodka!

Smoke

How does he taste to rattlers after he's had some vodka? :o

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users