32 replies to this topic

#1 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Chris Steuber from Ujointoffroad( http://www.ujointoffroad.com/home.html) and I have joint forces and are in the process of building a Van pop up camper.
I am particular exited about this, as it demonstrates the versatility of the XPCamper on an awesome product created by Ujoint.

You can follow the build thread here:
http://www.ujointoffroad.com/ujorv4.html

This puppy will have lot's of goodies:

UJOR 6" conversion with modified fenders/flares to clear 37" tires
Dana 60 front axle, locker TBD
Sterling 10.5" rear, locker TBD
Full on board air system
On board welder
Winches of course
Interior setup for comfortable x-country trips
LED lighting
80-90 gallons of fuel capacity
UJOR dual shock system along with a few other new parts!

Posted Image

#2 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

Holy ****!!
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#3 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

Exciting! I will follow the build.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

What's the motivation/perk of starting with a van chassis rather than a truck? Shorter front end? I'm a tad confused about why not just start with a regular cab 4x4 truck but I'm sure I'm missing something.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

What's the motivation/perk of starting with a van chassis rather than a truck? Shorter front end? I'm a tad confused about why not just start with a regular cab 4x4 truck but I'm sure I'm missing something.

With the Van you get:
Larger cab than a regular cab
Shorter WB than most short bed trucks ( my dodge has the same at 139:, but my departure angle is a little compromised)
Better approach and departure angles
90 Gallon Fuel Tank ( not possible in my rig, but doable with a long bed truck at a larger WB expense)
11 ft Flatbed
2 spare tires stored in an optimal place for weight balance ( I can carry 2 spares at some storage expense, in the van you don’t give up storage)for better wheeling handling :lol:

This particular unit won’t have a pass through, but we are planning to incorporate that feature in future builds.
AND, AFAIK, it will be the 1st Van camper/combo where you can remove the cabin and have a flatbed at your disposal.

#6 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

With the Van you get:

That is interesting, as I was wondering the same thing. The pass through would be worth it alone.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Right on, thanks for the follow up. With a pass through I wouldn't have even questioned why but since it seemed like a standard model it had me wondering. I understand the shorter front end. So it sounds like the rear axles are going to be farther back than on a reg cab truck then which is leading to the better departure angle and larger area for a fuel tank?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#8 ersatzknarf

ersatzknarf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

That's a tricky thing about carrying spare/s. Where they are now is a good location for weight distribution and keeping them out of the way, but I too am in favor of a pass through...
Cheers, Frank ______________ "airsotts-narf" Save a Life, Adopt : http://www.pawsofmichigan.com/

#9 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

That's a tricky thing about carrying spare/s. Where they are now is a good location for weight distribution and keeping them out of the way, but I too am in favor of a pass through...

Pass through means relocation of the spares.
That equals into loss of storage as they probably need to go under the flatbed some where.
Then you also loose some of you 75 Gallons H2O storage, as the water tank sits by the front wall

So, no pass through = more storage
This rig will go more places than my current Dodge will go. :P

Pass through is in the works though...

#10 dsw4x4

dsw4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDrake, CO

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Marc,
That van looks really sharp with your camper but I to sort of miss the point of using the van. What will that rig in the sketch up cost when it is all said and done?
Derek
www.coloradocampervan.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users