ersatzknarf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

http://www.examiner....build-new-v4-rv

this might help :D
Cheers, Frank ______________ "airsotts-narf" Save a Life, Adopt : http://www.pawsofmichigan.com/

#12 Ujoint

Ujoint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Right on, thanks for the follow up. With a pass through I wouldn't have even questioned why but since it seemed like a standard model it had me wondering. I understand the shorter front end. So it sounds like the rear axles are going to be farther back than on a reg cab truck then which is leading to the better departure angle and larger area for a fuel tank?

My 1st post!!!! The E series cab/chassis has an aft axle fuel tank, so this opens up a ton of room where the standard E series has a tank. I have a lot of goodies to fit under it, so the final capacity of the aux tank will be somewhere between 25-32 gallons. The wheelbase will actually be 140", and the rear axle is in the stock location.
Chris Steuber 06 E350 6.0 02 E350 7.3 www.ujointoffroad.com

#13 Ujoint

Ujoint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

Marc,
That van looks really sharp with your camper but I to sort of miss the point of using the van. What will that rig in the sketch up cost when it is all said and done?
Derek

Derek--- You of all people should know the benefit of the E series packaging! :)

#14 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

I just (rapped my pants! That is a great setup. Anybody else thinking "walk through model"?

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#15 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

I just (rapped my pants! That is a great setup. Anybody else thinking "walk through model"?

Home Skillet

Yes We are!!!! :lol:

#16 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

:lol:

#17 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

i always like it when people come up with new ideas.....but....
this is my 2 cents worth why i would pass on this unit.

now keep in mind i am talking about expedition type rigs,not extreme rock crawlers etc.

we loved our fwc on different trucks,factory 4wd always serviceable
any where if needed,...but...no pass thru,which i feel in this day and
age for travel safety i want to be able to have control of my truck with out
being exposed to the out side. so we gave up on that combination.

in the past we have had many vans they worked great and had the comfort of a pass thru
limited some what by not having 4x4 but almost always got us to where we wanted to go one way or the other.
the exception being our early vw vans (modified) which took us everywhere in baja that we have ever gone in our
4x4 rigs.

with ford going to stop production of vans you are going to be limited to used vans,so you will be dealing with
buying a full body van verses a cab and chassis as has been available in the past,then being a "expedition" rig
you will want a 4x4 conversion so this will have to be done.

living in the gov rules state of calif,the complete van will meet/not meet? the requirements to reg as motor home.
i know the rig we are now buying is a legal 50 state+canada ok vehicle,so this problem is solved .

it sounds to me like with the large fuel,water tanks,etc unless you build this on a 1 ton frame you will be over the
gvw (i have nothing to back this up just a gut feeling)

and i think a big problem is going to be the cost,most people spending the amount talked about up to $100,000
getting a loan might be hard as you are asking for a loan on a used van conversion (in the banks eye)

i hope the builders do not take my remarks the wrong way as i am just expressing my thoughts on a very neat idea
and wish them success in the future.

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,lqhikers

#18 Ujoint

Ujoint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

i always like it when people come up with new ideas.....but....
this is my 2 cents worth why i would pass on this unit.

now keep in mind i am talking about expedition type rigs,not extreme rock crawlers etc.

we loved our fwc on different trucks,factory 4wd always serviceable
any where if needed,...but...no pass thru,which i feel in this day and
age for travel safety i want to be able to have control of my truck with out
being exposed to the out side. so we gave up on that combination.

in the past we have had many vans they worked great and had the comfort of a pass thru
limited some what by not having 4x4 but almost always got us to where we wanted to go one way or the other.
the exception being our early vw vans (modified) which took us everywhere in baja that we have ever gone in our
4x4 rigs.

with ford going to stop production of vans you are going to be limited to used vans,so you will be dealing with
buying a full body van verses a cab and chassis as has been available in the past,then being a "expedition" rig
you will want a 4x4 conversion so this will have to be done.

living in the gov rules state of calif,the complete van will meet/not meet? the requirements to reg as motor home.
i know the rig we are now buying is a legal 50 state+canada ok vehicle,so this problem is solved .

it sounds to me like with the large fuel,water tanks,etc unless you build this on a 1 ton frame you will be over the
gvw (i have nothing to back this up just a gut feeling)

and i think a big problem is going to be the cost,most people spending the amount talked about up to $100,000
getting a loan might be hard as you are asking for a loan on a used van conversion (in the banks eye)

i hope the builders do not take my remarks the wrong way as i am just expressing my thoughts on a very neat idea
and wish them success in the future.

Les,lqhikers

All good points! The pass thru is already on the table for the future even though this particular project will not have one. This van started life as an ambulance, so the chassis is more than up to the task as far as weight limits/capacity. I think it's a benefit that this can be built on a used chassis. There are plenty to choose from in many conditions. You CAN start with a full body van, but I doubt that many will start like that. A used chassis gives you the option of having a proven drivetrain (like the 7.3 diesel) and allows people to build at their own pace/budget. And the van cab chassis will be in production for at least a few more years if someone decides to go new. No diesel though :(

V4 was "rescued" from a scrap yard. It was running, nothing wrong with it. This tells me that there are plenty of good donors out there!

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

I've never quite understood the pass thru. You don't use it while traveling do you?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

I've never quite understood the pass thru. You don't use it while traveling do you?

Craig:
use's of pass thru.
we travel with a four legged control freak (Bella the cat) pass thru lets the rear throne room stay
cool or warm depending,which then makes the travel time tolerable .
stopping in rain,snow,wind,it is nice to just step back to be able to take a break,snack,and yes porta-pott
if needed.
being real there are times that the wife or me do go to the rear while driving for what ever reason.
driving on dusty roads we also keep windows closed turn on air to build up pressure,this in turns
keeps much dust and dirt out of camper.
while traveling we have stopped to sleep/spend the night at walmart,truck stops,rest areas,etc,
and it is nice not to have to get out to just to get back in another door.
when camped and you are tucked in for the night it is nice to be able to move to the front for a comfortable chair to read,
use computer(not that i use computer while in the back country)or just for some quite time in your own space.
then there is always the safety issue you are able to drive away if needed with out exposing your self to
possible problem.

i could go on but will not!

Les,lqhikers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users