19 replies to this topic

#1 Desertboater

Desertboater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff, AZ

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Since acquiring my Eagle, I've been trying to figure out my outdoor cooking setup. So far, I've just been pulling the mostly useless table that came with the camper (post and socket style) outside and using that. The issue is that A) my stove takes up most of the space on the table, and B) the table is really wobbly.

I'm wishing for a setup like what I used to have here.
Attached File  IMG_2782sm.jpg   491.72K   165 downloads

I've tried roll-a-tables, and they're just too wobbly, and you can't set a hot stove down without melting the fabric. Even the aluminum slatted versions are too low and still wobbly.

So my question now, assuming you cook outside, what is your setup?

Cheers,
West

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Since acquiring my Eagle, I've been trying to figure out my outdoor cooking setup. So far, I've just been pulling the mostly useless table that came with the camper (post and socket style) outside and using that. The issue is that A) my stove takes up most of the space on the table, and B) the table is really wobbly.

I've tried roll-a-tables, and they're just too wobbly, and you can't set a hot stove down without melting the fabric. Even the aluminum slatted versions are too low and still wobbly.

Cheers,
West

While out for a walk I thought of an idea that I would use if I had that need.Have you thought of some kind of fold down table attached to the right rear of the camper. It would fold up behind the door ,if your door opens to the right. It could measure 18"x30+"high.If you have rear steps you could cut out a opening just large enough for the step to fit through when the step is in the open or closed position.Than have a hinged leg to support the table in the down position.
Just some ideas to get you thinking.
Good luck with a table. Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

I usually just carry this one.
Posted Image
I have a larger folding table I take if I'll need it. I don't mind carrying folding tables. They're the last thing that goes inside, helps hold everything in place, and the first thing out, giving me a nice clean spot for unloading gear.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

Cheers,
West

Sounds like you want one of those cool, river guide setups I've admired, with a long wood deck and flip down legs. Problem is, those things are six feet long!

We use the roll-a-table and yes, it's bit wobbly. Still my Webber Q fits, plus associated cooking paraphernalia. Posted Image

When stowed the table lays behind the roll over coach, the Webber is a bit tougher to store, but fits under the couch. We also have a mini table we put between the two chairs for plates, etc.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 murr

murr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria, B.C. Canada

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

This fall I plan to copy a table that I had before. I can't think of anything better - it weighed next to nothing, was strong, stable and took up very little storage room. I used 1/4" Baltic birch 18" x about 4 feet with spruce ribs (like floor joists) 5/8" high x 1/2" wide and glued at 3" or 4" centers. It will fasten to the rear of my Cat beside the door with an extruded aluminum slot that is sold at camper supply places. The slot will be fastened to the camper and the corresponding male part fits down into it then when it is lowered flat the table is solid. The other end will have hinged legs at the two corners which fold up into the spaces between the ribs for storage. When the legs are down for use the table is self leveling and stable. It will fold to only 7/8" thick and should fit into the 3/4" space (with a bit of shuffling I think) between the bed and the camper. I might experiment and substitute 1/8 " ply and see how solid it is. It's amazing how strong my original table was even though it wasn't a true torsion box construction. This is similar to what Casa ERT was thinking about but it might stay cleaner if it is tucked away. If you wanted to make it really bomb proof you could use stainless steel door hinges at the camper and just pop the pins in. Murr

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I've been thinking on this since we tend to use either our Magma bbq or Dutch ovens in the bbq more than the stove inside. Currently we have legs for the bbq, but since I want to get the spare out from under the truck I've designed a swing-away spare carrier. With the 315's we'll have to open the swing-away for door access anyway, so part of the plan is a fold-down table on the inside of the swing-away as well as the bracketry to mount the Magma using the life rail mounts as used on boats.

Currently we do have a wood version of the roll-up table that my step-father made for us as part of his wood-working hobby. There is a thread (an OLD thread) on Expo on building these. Look for "Articulate"'s participation. While it is a little wobbly it works quite well.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Desertboater

Desertboater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff, AZ

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

While out for a walk I thought of an idea that I would use if I had that need. Have you thought of some kind of fold down table attached to the right rear of the camper. It would fold up behind the door ,if your door opens to the right. It could measure 18"x30+"high.If you have rear steps you could cut out a opening just large enough for the step to fit through when the step is in the open or closed position. Then have a hinged leg to support the table in the down position.

Frank, I really like the idea of an attached table, however if the table were attached at the back, I would need to run new propane lines for the stove, or pick up a smaller tank. My other issue with the table at the back (also fixable) is that the camper already has an awning on the drivers side...having cooked in the rain with my old setup and now with the awning, it's a world of difference.

I've been trying to figure out some sort of table that folds down from the side, but the bracketry involved is beyond my metalworking skills. I think it would end up needing to be something akin to the backrest that comes with the bench seat in the cab, so that it both folds out and becomes perpendicular to the cab and also lowers from it's mounting point, then folds back up flat against the side of the camper when in travel mode.

Lighthawk, a river table setup would be almost perfect, and I'm sure I could talk to a company here in Flagstaff about building me one that's shorter than usual. Currently it's just more money than I'm willing to throw down...$330 for their small table... :o

Any other ideas?

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Been using the wobbly aluminum roll up for years, gets the job done for us. Light weight, packs small. If the ground happens to be soft enough you can usually sink the legs in to compensate for the wobble.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Been using the wobbly aluminum roll up for years, gets the job done for us. Light weight, packs small. If the ground happens to be soft enough you can usually sink the legs in to compensate for the wobble.

X2 I have an REI roll up/fold up table that gets setup. Takes up almost no space and is light...
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

We've been using one of these for years. Lots of room sturdy and works great.
http://www.competiti...ail.aspx?ID=928

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users