19 replies to this topic

#11 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I sketched this out over a year ago and haven't made it yet (I'm still learning how to weld aluminium).

It's a full length, fold down - fold up table along the side of the camper. Long enough, the entire length of the camper, that I think it could be a cooking and a serving table, but not an "eating at" table, unlees standing up. Not an original idea by me, I think I saw somethng like it here on WTW or over on ExPo, but, who knows, sometimes my memory fails me and instead I get something original to pop out.

The table will have some ribs in it to make it stiff and may have a backsplash (still deciding on that)

It folds flat against the side of the camper (middle drawing) and locks in place using the jack brackets (I don't drive with the jacks mounted). It uses a bracket at the front and rear of the side overhang (shown in the left drawing) to allow the table to slide in and out, with a gravity cutout in the slide slot on both ends. The outside gravity cutout is required to keep the table out and not slide in against the truck body, the inside, gravity cutout is just another secure anchor point when up.

To deploy the fold down table, unlock it from the jack brackets, lift the table up, out of the inside gravity cutout in the slide, slide it out and into the outside gravity cutout and rotate the table from vertical into the horizontal down position.

It's supported in the down position with a cable attached to the jack brackets, probably with a carabineer or some other type of secure quick release device.

I'll probably have to have some small sponge or rubber pieces that are collapsible a bit on the outside of the camper in a couple of strategetic places, when it is in the up position, to prevent movent and noise or other possible damage. Locking in the up position MUST be absolutely secure, failure to keep the table in the up position while driving is NOT an option. I'm thinking a bolt into a threaded hole for the "locking pin", however, that detail is still up in the air.

Posted Image

My truck (Ford Ranger 4x4) seems to be just about the right height to have the table in the down position for a good height to work on. On other trucks this may not work out as nice as on mine. The drawing above is not to scale.

I have no access doors on the driver's side on my ATC Bobcat shell (a nice smooth side, no protrusions), however, if you have those doors, this solution would require lowering the fold down table to either; 1) open the doors, or 2) if you run anything that needs venting while parked. You may need to also make some standouts, to keep the table off any protrusions you have on the side of the camper. And, if you run anything that needs venting while driving, and the table covers up the vents, this is not a good solution. Have an outside shower, maybe not a good solution either.

This could also work on the passenger side of the camper, however, in the up position it would block the window (it might provide some window protection when the trail is narrow and the branches are overgorwn).

As I said I haven't made it yet, I've only done the preliminary geometery calculations. I'd suspect that the support cable would be stowed inside the ATC Bobcat, as it would probably make a lot of noise outside while driving.

Just another idea from out of left field or maybe the peanut gallery.

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Allen your idea is a clever one,just re looked at your drawings and it makes a lot of sense.If anyone has a side awning that would be a good place to cook under,rain,sun or whatever.
I think with some modification and some tricky ideas it could even be made to not block the side window. Something to keep the brain wheels greased with.Lots of good solutions just have to pick one that fits your needs. That's one of the things I like about our campers lots of ways to modify them.
Keep the ideas coming. Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

I can not believe I remembered this, by lqhikers made this table.

http://www.wanderthe...1-fwc2002-taco/

http://www.wanderthe...p?showtopic=463

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#14 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

Yep, that looks familiar to me, too.

So... that's where the idea came from!

#15 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

The folding table is a great idea for sure!

Here is a pict of my setup with old skamper camper. I sport two of the fold up aluminum tables. The work great and are really easy to pack.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other tidbits: The RV mat is AWESOME if you are set up for a bit. The propane fire pit(custom lid)also works great! I tapped into the campers propane and have a 20ft extension hose to move it around. The tarp I cut out and added magnets to the top. It just magnetized to the rig and is a GREAT wind block.

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#16 Desertboater

Desertboater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff, AZ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I sketched this out over a year ago and haven't made it yet (I'm still learning how to weld aluminium).

Posted Image

HOLY COW!! That's absolutely brilliant! I've been trying to figure out something like that, but the height of the hinge point was so high, that a lowering mechanism would be needed. By using the underside of the camper overhang, you could not only set the table out away from the side of the truck, but also add additional height adjustment to account for truck height...Genius!! Now I need to learn how to weld aluminum too...

Now you've got me thinking about how exactly to allow the jacks to still be used without removing the table assembly.

Cheers,
West

#17 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

To get this table I spent about $17,000. I will use it and I will love it. :(

Attached File  FWC table.jpg   424.36K   122 downloads
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

Rofl.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 dustyhusky

dustyhusky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

I have one of the vintage coleman stove/cooler stands and it works surprisingly well. frees up space on the table. http://www.ebay.com/...c-/271397974138

#20 WAND3R3R

WAND3R3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have been using the "Grand Canyon Table" since June of last year.  It has worked well so far!

-AK

w444.jpg

5rja.jpg

WAND3R3R

www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users