#12 Linda N

Linda N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Impressive! Great to see the detailed discussion and photographs. Appreciate you sharing.

#13 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Great paint job Rusty, Epic project.
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#14 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Thought I might bring this back up...just in case some of yous guys want to paint yours

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#15 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMiami Springs Fl.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

Good thought, she's a classic and good for another 40!

#16 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Thank you Rusty for the work in putting together that very interesting and valuable record of pictures and words about redoing the outside of an Alaskan.  Though I won't be doing an operation like yours, parts of procedure will sure be helpful for me.

#17 senor

senor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hi Rusty, any chance of looking re-posting the pictures?

Respectfully,

CAPT Martin

#18 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

The size of the pictures eliminated them from an upgrade to the site....so they are now found in my gallery...I'll try and sort them out to fit the text....a little later

OK...there's a bunch up under the folder "Paint"

There's more but I kind of thinned them down to the most relevant...

out of order...I'll have to work on that

I painted the window frames...seemed appropriate...since they were raw aluminum...took prime well and the paint has held up nicely

Only one thing....all three family owners are big on beach time....minor salts persisted and have eaten through both the prime and paint by oxidizing the aluminum under....minor detailing needed after 10 years...other than that the paint has held up extremely well...still has gloss....but that's probably from all the waxing....just kidding ;)

Edited by Rusty, 12 April 2017 - 04:05 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#19 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for sharing this info, Rusty! Excellent reference

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#20 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

a little "post paint"

after 8 years of road travel and a begillion trips to the beach she has started to show a little wear....the pre priming surface really needs a nuetralizer of some sort...I'll do a little investigation into that...but...

alot of our travels and my sisters travels on the camper before me and grannys travels before both...were at the beach...so a minor salt corrosion is starting to show up as minor pitting and under surface corrosion...most in the bottom 6 inches of the top section only so it may be road gravel pitting in combination with the salt but it's there and showing up in bits and pieces

I clear the corrosion as I see it but haven't decided what to do with the 6" band yet.....90% on the front and back of the top section only

Maybe a Marine Corps wrap....8" wide....with C-130's....now we're talking.....i'm sure the other half will have a little something to say :ph34r:

Edited by Rusty, 22 August 2017 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users