• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

What do you think of using a portable "jumper" battery to power a camper? My '05 RAM doesn't have the room to mount a 2nd battery under the hood and I'm not thrilled with the idea of installing a battery inside the camper. I like the convenience of a portable battery, but I'm not sure it would be up to the task for more than an overnight trip.

http://www.sears.com...=1&blockType=G1

Are there other options I should consider?

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

22ah of battery isn't going to last you long other than running LEDs.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Larry Perry

Larry Perry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationArnold California

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have a new Hawk camper just picked up on Oct 1st it has 2-12 volt batteries installed under the front end of the roll over couch. I have a solar panel on the roof with the wiring to charge the batteries from the panel and the truck charging system all installed by FWC. The 2 batteries are AGM. I believe all Four Wheel Campers have the batteries installed inside the campers. You have to be frugal on your use of the battery to do a lot of things for to long a time or too many things at one time. What ever you do have fun...

1999 Chevrolet step side FWC Hawk shell personal build   

#4 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Battery inside the camper is pretty standard. AFAIK there isn't really much risk with sealed batteries like AGM's. Everyone here seems to do it trouble free. And as stated above, 22ah isn't very much juice at all. My $.02
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

What do you think of using a portable "jumper" battery to power a camper? My '05 RAM doesn't have the room to mount a 2nd battery under the hood and I'm not thrilled with the idea of installing a battery inside the camper. I like the convenience of a portable battery, but I'm not sure it would be up to the task for more than an overnight trip.

http://www.sears.com...=1&blockType=G1

Are there other options I should consider?

Where are you going to store the "jumper" battery? You might as well get the real thing and place it where the rest of us do.The battery's that come with the campers will at least give you more hours of usage.Wiring one up with the truck charging system isn't a problem or a tricky one.You will be better served to go with an in house battery.The jumper goes have those added features but after you use the 22ah power what than?
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for your responses. Looks like I'll have to start working on installing a real battery.

I like the AGM battery, but I thought they require a special charger.

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

I installed 2 AGM batteries under the bed of my Dodge. I built a tray that located them between the frame and the side of the bed in front of the rear tire.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#8 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Camelracer - I hadn't considered mounting the battery under the bed. Have you posted pictures of your installation? I searched the forum for battery installations, but didn't find any pictures.

Also, does an AGM battery hook up to the charging system just like a standard battery. I've read the AGM battery requires a special charger.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Also, does an AGM battery hook up to the charging system just like a standard battery. I've read the AGM battery requires a special charger.

Most shore power charges (ie the ones you plug into 120V AC) that are stage charges have settings specifically for different types of batteries. Does your camper have the IOTA charger or no charger at all right now?

The main issue with the truck alternators is sometimes they won't completely top off the battery, but as long as there is a shore power charger or solar charger they can finish off the job to maintain optimal battery life.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Most shore power charges (ie the ones you plug into 120V AC) that are stage charges have settings specifically for different types of batteries.

Such as this one (mine), for example:

Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users