19 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Lighthawk's post got me thinking about this topic...and thinking about all the Thanksgiving Days I've spent out in the middle of nowhere camping.
Most of these times I've been by myself, but even then I've usually tried to have a turkey-day component to it, even if it was turkey and sides that I'd already cooked at home so just had to heat up at camp.

Back in the '90s, CraggyMan and I did a full-on T-day feast while camped at the mouth of McGill Canyon on the west side of the Jackson Mountains on the far-northeast side of the Black Rock Desert of northwest Nevada.
We grilled a full turkey on a Weber kettle q...with all the fixin's -- out there in the middle of nowhere.
As good as Martha could have done, we thought. Posted Image
We did this in that spot for a couple of years. It was great!

Attached File  King Lear Pk - McGill Cyn arrow.jpg   91.98K   55 downloads
The Kentuckian's (a couple of desert rats from Bowling Green, Kentucky, believe-it-or-not, who were camped in "our spot" the second year of this tradition) said they were going to climb this snow encrusted peak -- "King Lear Peak"...but then they came to their senses and decided it wasn't a good day to die.

Attached File  Turkey-grill 0-2.jpg   155.09K   63 downloads Attached File  Turkey-grill 1-2.jpg   173.54K   64 downloads Attached File  Turkey-grill 2-2.jpg   176.59K   108 downloads Attached File  Turkey-grill 3.jpg   73.3K   56 downloads

Anybody else have stories/photos to share of Thanksgiving-Day dinners done while way-out-and-about? Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Wow, those are some way young Craggy pix. I know we were a little bent back in those days but I'm looking really blurry........ ;)

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

...I know we were a little bent back in those days but I'm looking really blurry........ ;)

I can post the non-anonymized versions if you like...but this way I didn't need to get a release from the model. Posted Image

#4 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Nobody would know me anyway. Way too much hair and very underweight compared to now. I'm sure the Kentuckian's thought we were crazy.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

:lol:

You guys look to young and skinny, but still looks like fun, maybe we out to revive that for next year or just have a "designated acting "T-day out there and and just do it. I can tell you the worst T-day I ever had and it wasn't while I was in the Army--it was here in Susanville, got snowed in at the last minute and couldn't make it home to Tahoe and didn't want to try to brave the snow & show up at some friends house uninvited (even though I would be welcomed) . Sat here with uggggh, a tv turkey dinner and a bottle of vodka and some orange juice. Made up my mind that I'd never do that again, even if it was just the dog, cat and me I would cook a turkey meal up. Now we have three NFL games to watch instead of the one, then the two games of old!:lol: Have some friends who go snow golfing every New Years up in the Skedadle Mountains, maybe aught to try that, but your T-day trip sure looks good!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

...I know we were a little bent back in those days...

Yes...a little bent...Posted Image
Attached File  Turkey-grill 2_annotated.jpg   40.53K   37 downloads

Seems like I remember drinking hot tea with Myers's Rum while waiting for the turkey to cook...occasionally adding more briquets/wood to the Q when the oven thermometer indicated the need...and enjoying the huge view of the eastern Black Rock and beyond. Posted Image Hot tea because -- though it was sunny, it was a bit nippy, and Myers's...ummm...to be in the holiday spirit? Posted Image
Playing with fire:
Attached File  McGill fire 2.jpg   90.06K   34 downloads

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

We have camped the last few Thanksgivings and will be again this year. I need to bring all the cooking toys to do the traditional dinner. Just the two of us so not a whole turkey, just a turkey breast on the BBQ. Gravy, mashed potatoes, and string beans on the camper stove and Partner stove, and crescent rolls in the Coleman folding oven placed on the other burner of the Partner stove. No pictures from past T-days so I'll try to get some this year.

Another tradition for us is Eggs Benedict on Christmas morning, also usually spent camping.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Many years ago, not turkey, T-Bones. Yep, I too lugged that 22" Webber out camping, back in the day. At 10,500 ASL, I'm a bit B-B-Q challenged, hence the thermometers to know what is going on inside (and, I'm glad I did that, perfect Medium Rare).

Posted Image

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

I've never got to go camping on T-day. Considering its one of the rare weeks off I get it hurts but oh well, soon enough thats going to be over.

My only question cooking a turkey camping is, what do you do with all the leftovers?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

My only question cooking a turkey camping is, what do you do with all the leftovers?

As I recall, it fit in an ice chest ok...seems like we took the meat off the bone. It was only a 12-lb-er, which is what they recommend for grilling/bbqing: use a small one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users