18 replies to this topic

#1 lincolnmatthews

lincolnmatthews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

:huh: I been really looking for a 10ft over cab with the side dinette. But I have to have a camper with a "potti", (not just me using the camper)

My question is did they ever put a portable in a 8 or 10ft model?. Everyone I've seen has to small of double door cabinet beside the frig to really put a pot. (I've only seen one) there always a long ways away so I only have pics to look at. I see an 8fter advertised with the frig on the "port" side & a cabinet on the strbd. side, will this accept a pot?.

Or do I have to settle for the forward dinette model only to get the pot?? Appreciate input from people who have or have had these campers.

Fifteen yrs ago I had a 10ft forward dinette & had a pot, but just like the side unit giving a longer counter space on the left side. Thanks for any ideas, (besides I know just go in the woods! etc)
:o

#2 dkoug

dkoug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Have you seen the new 6.5' model with the kitchen across the front.

I have recently bought a 69 10' NCO that needs repairs to the front upper end due to rot.

Being an old fart I would like to be sleeping near the door without a pot burning that I forgot to turn off-lol

I'm getting lucky this xmas as a friend is closing his business for 2 weeks and will let me do the work in his shop than rather then having to wait for warm weather in April or May.

Simply looking at this conversion would free up about 8 lineal feet for what ever.

Hoping to find some information on this site as to what is behind the cabinets in the original locations and how easy/neat they come out,

Just an Idea that mentally looks appealing to me.

dkoug

Free Advice, don't get old, ain't worth it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Alaskan Camper 059.JPG

#3 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

From what I have seen it is they have the closet in the back with the lift up top on it and that is were the porta potti.

This one sounds like something you may be looking for. 10 ft side dinnete

#4 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

i am working on a 74 10ft co right now.mine has a side dinette and a potti .i already use a 64 10' nco with a bed across the front. we just put the porta potti out at night in front of door. we are sooo excited to get the side dinette camper up and going.the counter space,extra storage and cabover will be a huge improvemant as we carry lots of stuff with us for a 2-day'er.i'm in gig harbor area. you are welcome to come see in person. cty87300@centurytel.net
these pics are from first day ,before cleaning out trash and starting to dig in to restore

wes

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010007.JPG
  • P1010011.JPG

#5 lincolnmatthews

lincolnmatthews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for your replies & offer Caseboy to see your camper. If I ever get to Gig Harbor area I'd like to check out your 10' CO. Its good to know that a "pot" did come with the side dinette unit. I guess I'll just hold out till I find a good one. Seen two already in W. WA all junk. One in Idaho, that didn't look like it would hold a "pot" at least in the pics.

I see on the Alaskan Mfg. home page they show a 10ft cab over, side dinette model with a cassette toilet, along with a small wardrobe on the right side. Would love to buy a new one, just can't justify that kind of money for a new one. IMHO I think there overpriced, considering you can get a new large Lance for the same money (if that's what one wanted) Pretty nice 02 unit in Arizona for $8000.00 but has front dinette. I guess that's a decent buy considering there $30,000 new!. Right now I can't spend 8000.00 would rather find an older one in very good cond. for alot less. Thanks again, I love these Alaskans! :rolleyes:

#6 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Did you click on the link that was in my post? It is a 10ft cabover side dinette for $3,500 It is being sold by the guys at Alaskan. I think it might be Brian's personal camper so you know it would be in awesome shape.

#7 lincolnmatthews

lincolnmatthews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Buckwheat?

I had originally missed your link for the 10fter till now. Actually I went down & looked at this camper down at Alaskan several weeks ago. Sorry to say it is a POS. Not really there fault though, apparently Bryan's Dad bought it kind of site unseen, from some older gentleman who really didn't describe it accurately. Anyway its been sitting out all these yrs. & has rot up forward & generally in my opinion in quite disarray. I made a low ball offer, but SR rejected my offer. Looked at another over at Pt Townsend, another POS only by far worse, everybody stay away from this one!. Not worth the trip to go see, unless you want a ferry ride!. (don't mean anything against someone selling stuff like this) just trying to let fellow forum members aware of what I find out there as I search for an Alaskan Camper. I know I'm new to this forum, hope its ok? I've driven to Chehalis & Pt Townsend in the last 3 wks looking, was going to Sand Point ID this weekend to look at one advertised. But decided against it because it looked a lot rougher than it should have been. Its difficult to find a real good one in WA State I think. Anyway will keep you guys posted as I search for one. Thanks for the input!

#8 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

wow!!
sounds a lot different than the pics on the link.compared to mine, it looks like a brand new rig.i could put up with a little rot vs. tearing everything apart as i am now.if i had that type of money laying around and the camper was as pictured, i'd get it in a second and be camping in comfort.as far as i'm concerned,camping is rustic anyway(even in a state park).as long as the camper is functional and easy to use and isn't letting me get wet or cold.i'm golden!! for the amount of trips i do per year(5-6),the camper isn't going to get much wear and tear, so as long as the rot isn't bad enough to hamper operation or convenience,it still has a long life ahead.obviously , i'm not talking about panels crumbling in you hand or mold filling up your nose type of stuff.i'm not looking for "pristene" . maybe my standards are too low.i've had tents,tent trailers, 5th wheels in the campground ,but i am still the most excited about using my alaskan when camping. i don't mean to be insulting anyone, just my view

wes

#9 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Wow thats to bad it sure looks nice in the pics. I looked at quite a few that I would not have taken for free they were so bad off. Just keep looking Washington and Oregon seem to be hotspots for them.

#10 lincolnmatthews

lincolnmatthews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

I don't know maybe my expectations are to high? I guess they are. I saw it in the pouring rain, didn't spend to much time looking at it. There is a lot of rot on the drivers side front corner where the overhead meets the lower part. Looks like originally they cut the front metal to short from the mlgd. its pulled away & full of rot. Its leaked quite extensively around the windows on the inside & around the hatches. After owning a wooden boat for a long time I guess I'm just a little "sensitive" with rotted wood. I just thought $3500 was way to high for the condition. Also that it was of the undesirable 80's paneling look etc IMHO. The pictures on the add I believe were of several yrs ago, definently not where it sits now. I offered $1500, probably to low. I don't know what its worth maybe $2000.00. I think part of it was that I really didn't want another project that needed to be opened up & restored. What are these campers worth? I've looked at junk for (asking price)$800.00 to usable for $1500 & beautiful @$8000 for an 92 model. I'm willing to pay from $2000-5000 for a very nice, no rot,(or damn little) & no water stains for a 25 yr old Alaskan Camper. Am I expecting to much?? Thanks for your opinions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users