• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

I've seen several threads on WTW and other forums about GPS units for iPad and Android devices. The two usually mentioned are the Dual and Bad Elf. After reading reviews, I decided to get a Garmin GLO. It uses both the U.S. GPS system and the Russian GLONASS system. Tried it out this weekend on the west side of the Sierras around Shaver Lake and like it a lot. Used it with MyTopo Maps and it was very accurate. Satellite sync was faster than any GPS I've used. Connected easily via Bluetooth to my iPad. Seems to have a good battery life. Came with a nice non skid dash pad. A nice simple system that worked as advertised. If you are looking for a GPS, you should check it out.

http://www.sportys.c...p/product/17435

#2 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

I am a total newbe when it comes to GPS for iPad, but I do hope to get an iPad at some point.

How does this work differently than the GPS that is in the iPad? What maps does this system use?

Thanks. Sorry for questions from the 90's.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#3 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

The wi-fi only iPad doesn't have GPS. The 3G & cellular iPad does kind of. Also GPS by definition is the U.S. system only, 24 satellites. The GLONASS system has another 21. The 3G & cellular iPad don't use true GPS but Assisted GPS which needs a cellular connection to increase accuracy and speed. Without cell coverage, it is very slow and not completely reliable.

To overcome theses shortcomings a real GPS receiver is needed. I'm most familiar using a GPS in aviation. The Garmin GLO to me seemed to have better reviews than the other two receivers commonly used, the Dual and Bad Elf both only use the U.S. GPS system. So far me the Garmin GLO is a true receiver and uses twice as many satellites which should improve its accuracy and reliability when out in the middle of no where.

There are several mapping programs that can be used some with moving map features if that is desired. I used MyTopo Map this past weekend. Some of the others I've seen discussed are MotionX and iHike. Haven't tried them yet. Still trying to figure out what MyTopo Map can fully do. Even with GPS and digital charts, I still believe in having paper maps and a compass just in case. Old school I guess.

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thanks! Am sending this link to a couple friends who will likely be interested.

.... Even with GPS and digital charts, I still believe in having paper maps and a compass just in case. Old school I guess.

I do too, but I once had a Silva Ranger lead me astray. I was taking an Orienteering class and I kept coming out in the wrong place. I reviewed my work with the instructor, who agreed that I'd done it right. So we compared my Ranger to the school's most basic compass' Mine was off by almost 15° and that was not magnetic declination. Set next to three of the school's compasses my Ranger's needle pointed in a different direction.

To their credit, once informed of the problem Silva replaced it fast. I'm still curious as to how that could have happened, but for now I periodically check that the needle does indeed still point to magnetic North.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

The wi-fi only iPad doesn't have GPS. The 3G & cellular iPad does kind of. Also GPS by definition is the U.S. system only, 24 satellites. The GLONASS system has another 21. The 3G & cellular iPad don't use true GPS but Assisted GPS which needs a cellular connection to increase accuracy and speed. Without cell coverage, it is very slow and not completely reliable.

To overcome theses shortcomings a real GPS receiver is needed. I'm most familiar using a GPS in aviation. The Garmin GLO to me seemed to have better reviews than the other two receivers commonly used, the Dual and Bad Elf both only use the U.S. GPS system. So far me the Garmin GLO is a true receiver and uses twice as many satellites which should improve its accuracy and reliability when out in the middle of no where.

There are several mapping programs that can be used some with moving map features if that is desired. I used MyTopo Map this past weekend. Some of the others I've seen discussed are MotionX and iHike. Haven't tried them yet. Still trying to figure out what MyTopo Map can fully do. Even with GPS and digital charts, I still believe in having paper maps and a compass just in case. Old school I guess.

Thank you. That is jus the information I needed to know. Thanks again.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#6 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

I need to clarify something. There is a lot of discussion out there in the aviation community about using the internal GPS of the iPad 3G for navigation without cell coverage. Some say it works fine and others say they don't find it reliable enough without an external GPS receiver, mainly syncing quickly and keeping a satellite lock.

I would suggest trying the internal GPS of the iPad 3G first to see if it is acceptable for you before getting an external GPS. There are enough comments, I've found, to say it is.

There is no doubt an external GPS receiver is needed for the wi-fi only iPad.

#7 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Are you could just use this for about 50 bucks more are so....worked great throughout Baja where it was needed.
6" screen and touch screen functions simple to use. Lifetime updates. Comes with a decent mounting system. Got mine at Costco.

http://www.tomtom.co...05-tm/index.jsp

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#8 dags

dags

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

How are you getting the maps downloaded onto the I-pad so it can be used without internet connection?

#9 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

How are you getting the maps downloaded onto the I-pad so it can be used without internet connection?

With Topomaps you downloads to your laptop or PC first then upload to the iPad via iTunes.  When you download a map, it also gives you instructions to get it to your iPad, iPhone, or Galaxy.

Edited by JHa6av8r, 06 June 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

We have had good luck with Android devices:  phones and tablet.  I find it very useful to create my own google map working from my desktop.  It's one click to export a KML.  It's a tiny file and I just email it to myself and SR.  It works seamlessly with http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/.   I think I paid $9.99.  The developer is responsive and has been updating.   We use the app on both of our phones and our 7" Nexus tablet.  All of this works fine without 3G connection.  You download topo or aerial maps within BC Nav while you are at home on your WIFI.  We find it handy that SR can view the route on her phone, while I might fiddle with the tablet, since all devices can use the same app/data.  It's redundancy, when the battery gets low on one device, we have another.

Just tonight I was looking at my 15" laptop screen showing highlighted roads and landmarks I have annotated in google maps, while comparing it to my 5.5" phone screen which was displaying USGS topo with overlay of USFS/private/BLM boundaries, and the same highlighted roads/landmarks from the imported KML.  It makes it very easy to cross reference, and is not as complicated as it sounds.    It really helps me dial in boondock spots when I go to satellite view.  It's almost like cheating.   :unsure:  

Experimenting with my new phone I notice that My Tracks (default app on my system), offers to 'share' to google, which means I can record any route, hike/bike/drive and record all the stats (distance/elev/avg speed/ max speed).   When I export to google, my route is now saved to a google map, where I can see it on my desktop, email it to a friend, etc.   You need a google account to use this feature.  In my experience, the My Tracks app is easy, free and plays well with gmaps.   BC Nav does not upload recorded tracks yet, to my knowledge.  

These are all android based systems, as a comparison to the ipad method.  Both use built-in GPS and offline mapping.  Very cool.

I like the android/google package right now (devices used:  Motorolla Droid2/Droid Global, Nexus7, Samsung Note2).  

These are exciting times to explore with better mapping than ever IMHO.

Edited by Lighthawk, 07 June 2013 - 06:12 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users