• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

After trying out a couple of the demo's linked in this thread and doing some more reading i went ahead and shelled out the $9 for CoPilot Live Premium for our galaxy 10 tablet. We have a nice handheld garmin we take when hiking and i was looking for something that was not tied to the verizon service as we are so far up a canyon most of the time that there is no service available. And with a couple of clicks i had all of the western US downloaded into the tab. Sure i've tried the Google map save feature...but the CoPilot live setup for me seems to be working easier.

Trying out the CoPilot on the tab yesterday i believe it will be a nice use of resources instead of us getting yet another gadget (stand alone auto gps with nice screen)...and we always have the tab for watching movies etc,..and bluetooth or WiFi onto internet on the big screen before heading out of cell range.

So far WTW forum has cost me 2 Strongback Charis and this GPS software in May/June.

This place can get spendy!

;) Thom

Edited by Accrete, 08 June 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#12 Marshfly

Marshfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

I need to clarify something. There is a lot of discussion out there in the aviation community about using the internal GPS of the iPad 3G for navigation without cell coverage. Some say it works fine and others say they don't find it reliable enough without an external GPS receiver, mainly syncing quickly and keeping a satellite lock.

I would suggest trying the internal GPS of the iPad 3G first to see if it is acceptable for you before getting an external GPS. There are enough comments, I've found, to say it is.

There is no doubt an external GPS receiver is needed for the wi-fi only iPad.

The built-in GPS in my 4G ipad has always been perfectly accurate compared to the IFR Certified Garmin 430 in the panel of my aircraft as opposed to my Garmin 496 portable that occasionally looses signal lock. Timing, speed, and ETA have always been mirrored between the two. I've got a couple of hundred hours using the ipad in the cockpit, so, a decent amount of time to give a good review. I think that the variety of experiences in the aviation community has more to do with mounting placement and view of the sky through the windshield than variances of the iPads. In my PA32 I use a RAM mount on the windshield. Those that use knee boards or whatever will not have as good of success with the GPS (not to mention the distraction of having a navigation device on your lap.)

The problem will be deep canyons and/or heavy tree cover. But then, I've lost lock with Garmin portables in the same settings so, what do you do?

2014 Ram 3500 Crew 4wd Cummins, 2013 Lance 855

#13 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Is anyone here using the nexus 7 (2013) tablet?  Does it have it's own GPS reciever?  The specs say "GPS - support" so I'm not sure what that means...

I've been mulling over several tablets for the last year and this one gets good reviews and the cost for a 32g device is reasonable other than it's google and android. I'd rather have an ipad mini but will wait for the next release before I commit. 

Nevermind...It appears it does have GPS and although it appears there have been problems...it doesn't work....it's been fixed. 

Edited by Riverrunner, 11 September 2013 - 06:01 PM.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#14 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Question about these things, because I've been curious for a while:

Do these devices tell the tablet the GPS location and then apps can use this accordingly, or do they only work with certain apps? Said another way, does the tablet, ipad in my case, "think" it has services locations 'on' and working and then any app can use that info- or do only certain apps work with the device?

Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#15 Kylekai

Kylekai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm not too sure what you're asking, but most apps check if your location services is on or off.  You set it in the General ->Privacy app, and other apps read this value programmatically.  This tells the app what it can and cannot display.  Most map-based apps use the built in mapping system, lately from Apple.  The map grids are cached, so if you don't have cell or wifi, you can still see a lot of the map grids that have been cached.  I have developed many map-based apps myself, including a few camping location apps, and I want to make sure you (the user) can get as much info as possible if you're offline.  I hope that helps!

#16 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Is anyone here using the nexus 7 (2013) tablet? Does it have it's own GPS reciever? The specs say "GPS - support" so I'm not sure what that means...

I've been mulling over several tablets for the last year and this one gets good reviews and the cost for a 32g device is reasonable other than it's google and android. I'd rather have an ipad mini but will wait for the next release before I commit.

Nevermind...It appears it does have GPS and although it appears there have been problems...it doesn't work....it's been fixed.

I just saw your post, so this is a bit late to the party.
Yes, the nexus 7 has gps and works with BCNav, My Tracks, Google map, etc.
The android OS works easily with the tablet and our phones.
FYI, Google map disabled the My Places feature (and terrain view!) with latest update, but I was able to roll back and disable updates. It's important to me because I have imported my own gpx maps. It's not too difficul to make a map on Google and import it to your tablet.

Edited by Lighthawk, 09 October 2013 - 05:43 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#17 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thanks lighthawk... I did buy the tablet and so far so good..even if it is Andriod.  ;)  I haven't had it out into the field yet as I'm still looking at apps.  So far I'm leaning toward the backcountry navagator app as it looks to be the best one available.  I'm assuming I can download maps of the area of interest but do I have to have a subscription to do that???

FWIW - I have a Garmin 1300 nav that I use a lot.  I don't use it in the back country to get somewhere but to track where I've been.  I've been using it for a couple of years and most of the main roads (off pavement) are on it.  What I don't like is I can't zoom out enough to see other roads and it won't give me a name when zoomed out and panning.  I'm still old school and have paper maps and use the GPS is an item to complement the paper.  Often times when I'm trying to figure out where I am, I can use the GPS to look at road features and compare that to the paper map and pin point exactly where I am.  I sometimes use my etrex 30 with the topo maps to figure out where I am but the screen is tiny and not real great for vehicle use.  Maps are a awesome tho and maybe there is a way to put that map on the Nexus7 (I hope but haven't got that far). 

How is the nexus for navigating?  Will it stay on, and track your route like a regular vehicle navigation GPS?  If not the Garmin GLO might be the next step if it will work with Andriod. 

2005 FWC Grandby

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

Somehow I don't see new posts when I look at them on the mobile site. :wacko:

Missed your post.

I do recommend BC Navigator as an app.  You can designate sections of maps to download for storage on your phone or tablet, so you will not need a cell connection to run the map.   I download topo maps of specific areas for both driving and hiking.    If you import mapping from KLM off google map, those tracks and markers are also available offline.  

I track using airplane mode to save battery power, but if we're in the truck I just keep my phone (5.5" Samsung screen) plugged in.  Sometimes GPS takes a few minutes to get a lock.

Edited by Lighthawk, 03 November 2013 - 05:40 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

I downloaded the trial version of BC Nav. and used it some on our last trip to see how it would work.  The Nexus 7 actually worked pretty well. GPS lock was fast and it was helpful to figure out where I was and where I was trying to get to.  However......

The maps take a long time to download.  I also didn't get all of the map I thought I was getting so I ended up not having everything I needed.  That was a bummer.  I still ended up using my atlas and Garmin Nuvi more so the jury is still out.  I need to do some more testing and see if there is way to download other maps.  I have a etrex 30 and have the western states map for that and I need to see if there is a way to use that map on the N7 somehow.  Seems like there was some talk about that over on the Expo forum.  I'm still amazed as to the roads that the Nuvi has.  It has what I need but I just wish it had the ability to zoom in and out better so I could zoom out and see more area.  

2005 FWC Grandby

#20 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I didn't read this entire thread, but wanted to say that for work we use iPads with a Dual Universal GPS Receiver.  It's nice because you can locate the GPS receiver away from the iPad to increase signal strength if you need to and not have any cords  However, the GPS receiver is very strong and will pick up satellite signals through the roof of my house!

I was working with one this morning if anyone had questions about the Dual units.

http://gps.dualav.co...oduct/xgps150a/

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users