Samo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMonterey, CA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

That is cool.

This might help people running older laptops?

I didn't read this entire thread, but wanted to say that for work we use iPads with a Dual Universal GPS Receiver.  It's nice because you can locate the GPS receiver away from the iPad to increase signal strength if you need to and not have any cords  However, the GPS receiver is very strong and will pick up satellite signals through the roof of my house!

I was working with one this morning if anyone had questions about the Dual units.

http://gps.dualav.co...oduct/xgps150a/

#22 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

I didn't read this entire thread, but wanted to say that for work we use iPads with a Dual Universal GPS Receiver.  It's nice because you can locate the GPS receiver away from the iPad to increase signal strength if you need to and not have any cords  However, the GPS receiver is very strong and will pick up satellite signals through the roof of my house!

I was working with one this morning if anyone had questions about the Dual units.

http://gps.dualav.co...oduct/xgps150a/

Same with the Garmin GLO.

#23 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Right now I have the kml file sitting in my gmail on my Nexus 7. When I click on it opens in google earth, which is great, but I want to open it in BCNav. Can anyone help with that? Thanks.

Just found it, went to the download area in the import tracks and waypoints area. Didn't see it when I looked in first time. It is easy!

Edited by Rob in MT, 20 December 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#24 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

I am probably going to buy a Dual bluetooth GPS puck, as one of the vendors is just a few miles from the house.   Is there any consensus about which iPad app is best for backcountry navigation, and what is the best source of maps for the app?    I will also look for a good marine navigation app to go with navionics charts, too.

I am haunted by waters

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'll answer my own question here. I went with the Trimble Pro app, and an Elite subscription for downloading charts. The I/F is not as intuitive as I would like, but is workable. The Dual puck is great..

My thanks to those that I spoke with offline.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 18 February 2014 - 07:10 PM.

I am haunted by waters

#26 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I'll answer my own question here. I went with the Trimble Pro app, and an Elite subscription for downloading charts. The I/F is not as intuitive as I would like, but is workable. The Dual puck is great..

WS,

Thanks for keeping us posted (even though it seems like no one is responding to your questions.)

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#27 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Bill, I had a couple of notes off line.  

Mr. Ski3Pin had given me some tips earlier and JHa6av8r did as well.   We have such a great site and wonderful folks.  

I am haunted by waters

#28 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Without going into details, I recently aquired an iPad.  I've been looking at different apps and there are many.  Seems kinda hard to find them without just scrolling through 100's and 100's of "navigation" , "map", or "GPS" apps.  Anyway, I came across one that I'm going to try called "You Need a Map".  It's free and covers the US offline.  It's got topo, waypoints, tracking, and bunch of other things and has great detail including primary forest service roads. In the area's I frequent, it has all of the roads that are drivable is I think it work fine for me.  There is an upgrade version with greater detail for $10 which is pretty cheap to me.  At this greater detail, it has to break the country in sections which is ok.  

We'll see how it works I guess....  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#29 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Just downloaded this app. Looks like it's useful. Will see first time I am out on the road.

So far it looks good.

Thanks Riverrunner.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#30 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Let me know what you think Frank.  

I crawled around the expo portal gps software forum a bit and there are several good reviews on the "scenic maps" which is maker of "you need a map".  I also stumbled across a app called the "Ultimate Campground Project".  It's pretty cheap ($4) and has in map form, over 20K public campgrounds/sites for the US.  It's also an offline deal that might be helpful as we wander outside of cell range.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users