58 replies to this topic

#31 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

You made it! Did you try sc ranch road like on the map you sent instead of going through Wendel or was the road okay and you were lucky and cell phone too, anyway bet you had a good view of the sc desert and enjoy the rest of the trip!

Smoke

I went via Wendel/Sand Pass. Don't know about the S.C. Ranch Rd....but I saw a couple of vehicles come down it...so maybe OK...?? :huh:

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#32 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I went via Wendel/Sand Pass. Don't know about the S.C. Ranch Rd....but I saw a couple of vehicles come down it...so maybe OK...?? :huh:

Your cell phone worked too, but I would not drive that road by myself this time of the year----remember my two "getting stuck this time of the year at Willow Spring on that SC ranch rd "stories! Maybe that what started my sciatic nerve problems so many years ago! Pictures just added some dog pictures on the gallery page-more adventures too-didn't stop at Bruno's for lunch?

SmokeB)
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#33 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I had a feeling that might be a better route with the Jeep, later in the year. I had a feeling the weather might improve for me. I still have bacon left over from Roundmans too. I have a feeling I'll gain a few pound on this trip. I think I'll bring all the gear. Nothing like a nice fresh trip report too.

Question for ya. I'm thinking of hitting the road after work on thursday if I'm not too wiped out. Probably make it about to Susanville before it gets dark. Any camp spots near there? I'm figuring most campgrounds are still closed.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#34 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I had a feeling that might be a better route with the Jeep, later in the year. I had a feeling the weather might improve for me. I still have bacon left over from Roundmans too. I have a feeling I'll gain a few pound on this trip. I think I'll bring all the gear. Nothing like a nice fresh trip report too.

Question for ya. I'm thinking of hitting the road after work on thursday if I'm not too wiped out. Probably make it about to Susanville before it gets dark. Any camp spots near there? I'm figuring most campgrounds are still closed.

Craig-witch way are you coming from Sac, 80 and over or down I-5 and east, for starters-lots of other ways too and witch way are you going after words? It takes about 3 hours from Sac, so maybe even up Feather River may give you an chance to find an open FS CG on the way. You know you can always go to Eagle Lake- it's about 30 min from Susanville, it's open, free and you can wait and see what the weather will be like and head out from there-look at the map. It's supposed to rain here on Wednesday/Thursday, so let me know where you are heading and I'll watch the weather and depending on how you come, try and check on what's open-remember once you are here there are lot's off options for camping on BLM.

Smoke

#35 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Eagle Lake might be nice. Haven't been there since we poured a driveway at the fire station. I figured on 80 to 395. If I leave friday though I'll probably push on for NV. I figure at least starting on the route Mark laid out, going clockwise. Who knows though, I have a tendency to make last second changes. Hmmm, that road looks interesting Posted Image

#36 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

Craig

If you are running late and it's getting dark, check Lauflan FS CG just this side of Milford- turn left at the store before you hit Milford-it may/may not be open; it's 4 miles up the county road-it may be cold and wet. There is also a private CG just before you get to Lauflan cut-off-never been there, could be an emergency stop if you need it. On 395 between the rest stop north of Secret Valley and the Ravendale Fire station is the BLM CG at Rams Horn-you will see a CG sign on the rt side, CG is I think about 2 miles up a gravel road-it was closed because of the fire last year and it usually is open year round, but I still like Eagle Lake if you have the time, either on the south shoreline line or over at Rocky Point. If you head into BLM Ca/ Nevada/Or from 395 just follow the routes we have been suggesting-lot's of places to camp, read your maps and try not to camp on private land! Have a good trip, I'll keep checking to see when and where your adventure will take you-just remember most of those "how I got stuck on a back road " threads happened this time of the year. Ah so much to see and so little time!

Smoke

#37 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Smokecreek, I think the cg you are referring to is Laufman. Craig, when Donna and I head in that direction and leave after work it makes a good spot to stop. Open year round, always quiet, convenient to the highway yet mostly overlooked, even a decent vault toilet. Here is a link from Camping USA - Laufman

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#38 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Sounds like a good spot. I'd like to leave after work otherwise I may wind up puttering around and not leaving till ten. I don't know what happened to the summer weather I ordered. Long range forecast is looking pretty iffy. Thirty percent chance of scattered showers saturday and sunday. So far its not enough to make me cancel. It may make offroad travel on dirt roads a no go though.

If it does look like I should cancel it'll probably be the other way down to the alabama hills, DV.

#39 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

...Long range forecast is looking pretty iffy. Thirty percent chance of scattered showers saturday and sunday. So far its not enough to make me cancel. It may make offroad travel on dirt roads a no go though.

Oh come on, Craig! What's the worst that can happen...? Wouldn't you like to be able to post your own "Incident..." report? (It's even in the same area as mine was...) Posted Image

Speaking of "mine", I'm camped east of, on the other side of the east arm of the Black Rock from, where I had my "incident" in Dec, 2011. No, I'm not going back to give it another try this trip! Posted Image

#40 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

......If it does look like I should cancel it'll probably be the other way down to the alabama hills, DV.

All kidding aside...as much as I love NW-NV and SE-OR, I'd never say it's a better destination than the east side of the Sierras...just different. Steens Mt at its best and some aspects of Hart Mt might give the eastern Sierra a good challenge...but mostly it's a subtle beauty/spectacularness. And it's a lot drier (despite occasional mud holes Posted Image) and so, until spring growth comes -- browner. But one advantage that "my area" has over the eastern Sierra: WAY fewer people!

I did a hike today that went through a mile-wide patch of dead-looking (but actually just winter-dormant) greasewood...not too attractive. Glad I wasn't introducing a newcomer to the area. Posted Image Still a good hike overall.

Ever since I've visited the Alabama Hills for the first time, a couple of times in the past couple of years, I've been amazed how I'm now noticing that it's the location for lots of westerns (movies).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users