Photo

My 2012 Jeep Wrangler Pop-Up (Ursa Minor J30)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Okay it's not quite a pop-up truck camper but it's as close as I'm going to get. I've been lurking here for a while, and for about a year I had a small hard side csmper on my 06 f150. It quickly proved to be too tall and bulky for off road and exploring. I considered my original idea of either going with a four wheel camper or custom Phoenix pop-up. However after moving back to Oregon and re-evaluating my intended use, the Ursa Minor J30 and adventure trailers habitat jeep campers really caught my attention. I wanted to get further off the beaten path, and more into camping, but without sleeping on the ground and cleaning up wet muddy camping gear. So I split the difference....

After seeing both the J30 and habitat in person, the J30 made more sense for me in the Pacific Northwest. It is smaller, but sealed up much better against the elements, has a hard roof over your head, and less fabric to absorb moisture and mildew. It arrived and I installed it yesterday on my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Have a look...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Somehow I failed to take exterior picture with the top up, I'll have to post them later. The top essentially opens like the VW westfalia tops which it was designed after. Here are some interior pictures...

Overhead organizer with map pockets, dual USB outlets and 12v outlet.
Posted Image

Carpeted interior with rear windows deleted.
Posted Image

Rear bay LEDs. Eventually I'll have a rear kitchen and storage setup accessible from the outside.
Posted Image

Looking up from the rear seat. Two removable panels normally sit here, this is the normal exit/entrance.
Posted Image

One panel removed, looking down.
Posted Image

Front, looking back. Windows closed. The large windows on each side and open to a mesh screen, or open completely for entry/exit.
Posted Image

Back looking forward.
Posted Image

So far I am extremely pleased. It is nowhere near as elaborate as the typical truck camper but the whole package is very capable and low profile. Most of my trips are solo and spontaneous, so this will work well. I don't tend to "set up camp" in one spot, I explore and move and a lot, and tend to find a place to stay at the last minute. Or I wake up at home in the night, and decide to drive a few hours to catch a sunrise on a mountain top or something else ridiculous. This top has about 2" of clearance when closed and allows for a couple of sleeping bags to stay upstairs all the time, always ready to go. Eventually I'll install an arb or similar 50qt fridge on a slide, and a rear interior rack to carry basic food prep gear at all times, as well as some form of on board water. On the roof are Thule rails with fixed front mounts. Should be perfect for mounting kayaks, snow boards, etc.

The suspension is an AEV 3.5" lift with progressive springs and custom tuned shocks, upgraded with HD one ton ball joints, tie rod, HD track bar and steering box braces, etc. The front axle has been re-enforced with inner axle sleeves, a truss, c gussets, etc. Upgraded dual cardan front driveshaft, exhaust mods etc. Being a rubicon it comes from the factory with front and rear locking differentials, electronic front sway bar disconnect and 4:1 low range. The tires are 35x12.50r17 BFG KM2s, and the whole setup still averages 16mpg. Some other upgrades are in store soon as budget allows, bumpers, winch etc.

I'm looking forward to my time off this summer and will hopefully have some worthwhile pictures to share.

#2 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Very Nice!
While the truck camper is ideal for places you can't get to from here, your vehicle seems designed for those places you can't get here from there.

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Very cool. Look forward to reading about your trips and future upgrades.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

My Jeep is very jealous. I'm looking forward to seeing some trip reports of that in action.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Grabbed a couple pictures of it open while I was adjusting something...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for sharing Brian. That is certainly an ultimate overland vehicle if it fits your needs. And it looks really sharp. Please continue to post photos and trip reports here.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#7 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Can you post a photo of your small hard-side camper that you had on the F150? Would be interesting to see what you are coming from.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the pictures.Very nice setup.There are so many great ideas out there.
Have fun.
Look forward to some trip reports.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Very cool! What's the price point on that (not including the jeep)?

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#10 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Can you post a photo of your small hard-side camper that you had on the F150? Would be interesting to see what you are coming from.

I guess "small" is relative. We'll say more lightweight than small maybe... I only had it for a year and a half or so.

Posted Image

Weight was around 1300-1400lbs. Small fridge, furnace, water heater, outside shower, smev stove, etc. Portable toilet inside.
The original plan was to buy a pop-up but at the time I lived in Kentucky (for three years) and there really isn't any dispersed camping or public land. Nearly everything was private parks. Soon after buying it, I started a new job and moved back home to Oregon. We were staying with friends and family to save up for a down payment on a house, and couldn't keep the camper on the truck at a townhouse. We ended up buying a house with no place to store the camper. When I did use it, it was super comfortable but just way too much. I didn't need the space. I didn't cook inside. Overall height was around 10-11' and I pushed tree limbs everywhere I went and was afraid of ripping off the jacks.

I sold the camper and debates my options. I already re-geared the axles (on 35" KM2s), had front and rear lockers and several other upgrades. But my next set of changes/upgrades was $6-7k. Then I thought about a custom Phoenix camper (FWC didn't make the shorter Raven at the time), but didnt want to spend some $20k and have another payment.

Sooo, this is where I ended up. Sold the truck, put a big down payment on the Jeep, spent a bunch of money on upgrades, saved up for the top etc. No problems getting anywhere I want to, no issues with storage. Just one payment. Makes more sense for us at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users