• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#41 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Tacking on another twist for this: on a recent trip, I went into the camper for something while we were enjoying a late evening campfire. I heard an unusual sound and after listening a bit noticed the fridge was running on high. I checked closer and saw that the internal temp readout showed 44 degrees! Getting a bit anxious, I opened the fridge to check the thermometer we keep inside- it read 32 degrees. Now I figured we had a malfunctioning fridge. Wondering how long this might have been going on, I checked the camper battery voltage. It had dropped to 12.2 volts. I unplugged the fridge and figured we would be alright until morning since the air temp had already dropped to 45 degrees and was heading south. Driving the next day would recharge the battery and we could get some ice to keep the food cold.

I returned to the fire and mentioned the problem to my wife. We had a brief conversation about the pain it would be to try to get the fridge fixed and then dropped the subject. After a bit of fire gazing, my wife mentioned she had put dinner leftovers in the fridge and they were still hot. Maybe that had something to do with it. Lightbulb! I went back and checked the fridge contents. The container with dinner was sitting on the bottom of the fridge and was still warm. I figure it was sitting right on top of the temp sensor and was causing the fridge to keep running even though the actual temp in the fridge was quite cold. So in spite of evidence to the contrary, the fridge was working fine. If I hadn't noticed it though, it would have drained our battery trying to cool that hot food. Lesson learned.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#42 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Good one, glad you figured it out!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#43 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

This Photo Needs a Caption

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#44 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Being somewhat hard of hearing, but not deaf, I was annoyed by a loud intermittent electronic chirping that started recently just before my last trip. I turned the 12v system on and off a few times and listened around. Crawling around on my hands and knees I determined the culprit was the C02/propane alarm. I jumped on the internet and ordered an new one for 50 some-odd dollars. It came a few days later so I installed it. To my horror, the chirping started again! I started pulling cushions and covers and saw a green light on my battery isolator even when everything was off/disconnected. The chirp was loud there. So out it comes. I am getting good at cutting wires and capping the ends. I congratulate myself on a job well done and stand up. My head is now right next to the ceiling mounted smoke detector. CHIRP! it says telling me that its 9v battery is low. :(

#45 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

A classic Winks, welcome to the club. :)

#46 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

Winks,little noises like that can drive you crazy.At least you now have a new Co2 alarm.But $50 lighter in the pocket book.What about the battery isolator?

And all this time it was a $2 9v battery.

Oh well all's well that ends well.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#47 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

$2? They aren't 50 cents anymore? :D The isolater is going back in. I just bought the wire connectors to hook everything back up. I guess I should buy a hearing aid.

Edited by winks, 24 December 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#48 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

Join the club!!! First time that crap happened to me, I was up at Eagle Lake, newly camping in my new FWC, 3rd day out, been having a beer or two (maybe several) that night and was crashed nice and comfy on a snowy night and about 3 or so the world erupted :wacko:  --what happened, did the world end, lights flashing, buzzzzzzz, what the hell, didn't smell gas or nothing, crashing around trying to find the flashlight, afraid to touch anything, dog howling,  then something made me remember that this can  happen (????) when the battery is low, and since I was not being gassed or nothing, a second possibility --the battery was low-a quick run outside in my shorts, started the truck and the noise stopped! Ahhhh, went back to bed, ran thru it again, but learned the lesson--MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS ON AT LEAST YELLOW WHEN YOU RACK OUT AT NIGHT!! Yep no fool here, several more midnight awakes and I learned , my window is always open, I usually don't run the therm/heater all night ( what did someone say awhile back, cold nose, warm toes )sometimes it goes off today, but except for that first "what the hell" the world doesn't end and it part of the FWC experience. Enjoy :D !

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 24 December 2013 - 05:20 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#49 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

My alarm has only sounded one time. Of course that was the rare occasion I was in a pay campground and it was 3am. Thing is loud when its quiet out. New detectors were installled shorty afterwards.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#50 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

This problem seems to remind me of the old stuck horn problem, you only need panic once and  pull the wire off the horn  to learn not to do it again! :ph34r: and learn how to do it right. I guess now they have the same problem with new cars and the beeping alarm that my neighbor down the street seems to like setting it  off :o .

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 24 December 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users