201 replies to this topic

#31 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

While getting ready for a short trip tonight I decided I should test the "city" water connection.  Plug in hose, water on, tighten up fittings....  I guess I should have checked that the faucet was off or taken the cap off the sink drain... confused0058.gif

As I was trying to tighten up the hose fittings I thought...Hmmm...  water is coming out of weird places....  Oh $hit!  Turned the water off and opened the door to find I was filling the camper with water from the inside out...  rolleye0012.gif  Run to get a bunch of towels and the shop vac.  Time to mop up...  I guess I'll have more loading to do in the morning that I thought.  Windows open, vent open, door open, storage bays open, and fantastic fan on...  Good thing it's been warm around here lately.       

Great story -- classic!  I could visualize it well from your description...like something from an old sitcom. :D

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#32 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

That is a classic. I just got home. An entire cabinet full of stuff on the floor. I remember looking at the latch, not sure why I didn't hook it. Only bad part was a can of coffee all over everything.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#33 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

Drove the legendary Hill in a VW vanagon --Hwy 20 from Williams Lake in British Columbia to Bella Coola. (For those unfamiliar--brilliantly scenic but a 20% grade --really--over 10 really winding kilometres.  Got to the bottom, decided to take photos.  Drove into town, looked to take more photos.  Oh Damn!  I'd set my camera on the VW bumper back in the park at the Hill's bottom.  20k back.  Found intact camera.  Told myself I am an idiot, repeatedly.

And yes, I've got a couple of locking myself out of vehicle stories, too, but those seem abundant here...

#34 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

I have hesitated on sharing this one. It is a tale about what happens when you hurry and you’re tired.

We were loading the camper up the night before leaving on our Spring Break adventure. The Lady had filled the fridge with our supplies. As I was adding other things to the camper, I noticed the fridge was not running. Why does something like this happen right when you’re leaving on a trip? Damn! I looked at the control panel. It said E2. Is that some kind of error code? Back in the house, I pulled up the operating manual. There was absolutely nothing about error codes. Double damn! Why isn’t the fridge running? Was it possible that the DC line wasn’t working? Would it run on AC?

Everything came out of the camper. I found the AC cord for the fridge. I removed the inside basket full of food and then pulled up hard on the fridge to remove it from its mounting plate on the floor. I carried the fridge inside and set it on the table. I plugged in the AC cord. The fridge did not start. Triple damn! I checked the control panel again. It still said E2. I looked again and realized how stupid I was. The panel is upside down when you look at it from the lid opening side. Think about the squaring off of numbers on digital displays. The panel actually read 32. It was not running because it was already down to temperature.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#35 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have hesitated on sharing this one....

But don't you feel better, ski3pin, now that you've confessed?  :P

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#36 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

I feel better :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#37 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

You even pulled the fridge and brought it inside to troubleshoot?! That is a good one. But I won't bring it up when we camp. Well, maybe I will, but I won't tease you or rub it in. Much. Oh hell, who am I kidding? I'm not letting you live this one down. :P

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#38 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

...........................just when the Lady has started to taper off on the "the fridge is E2" when she checks it while camping. But, I deserve it.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#39 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

That is truly a classic ski - pulling the fridge!  Double classic.  Not a camping story, but someday will tell the one about almost ripping off the drivers door of a Honda Accord while backing up in deep snow.  And my girlfriend still married me after all that foul langauge.....

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#40 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have hesitated on sharing this one. It is a tale about what happens when you hurry and you’re tired.

We were loading the camper up the night before leaving on our Spring Break adventure. The Lady had filled the fridge with our supplies. As I was adding other things to the camper, I noticed the fridge was not running. Why does something like this happen right when you’re leaving on a trip? Damn! I looked at the control panel. It said E2. Is that some kind of error code? Back in the house, I pulled up the operating manual. There was absolutely nothing about error codes. Double damn! Why isn’t the fridge running? Was it possible that the DC line wasn’t working? Would it run on AC?

Everything came out of the camper. I found the AC cord for the fridge. I removed the inside basket full of food and then pulled up hard on the fridge to remove it from its mounting plate on the floor. I carried the fridge inside and set it on the table. I plugged in the AC cord. The fridge did not start. Triple damn! I checked the control panel again. It still said E2. I looked again and realized how stupid I was. The panel is upside down when you look at it from the lid opening side. Think about the squaring off of numbers on digital displays. The panel actually read 32. It was not running because it was already down to temperature.

Ski had a similar problem,but mine seemed to be an actual E1 in the read out.What happened was the voltage safe switch,I keep it on high had reached it's lower limit.The battery had been drawn down lower than the 12v something that turns the fridge off.I played with it, than since we were about to head out I just moved the switch to medium and it started up .

Nice to know that the voltage switch works.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users