24 replies to this topic

#1 CD Noble

CD Noble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLebec, CA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Recently ran into a problem in a California campground when we were draining our dishwater into an open container. We were told it is illegal and we had to have an enclosed container. Commercial containers are to bulky for our 4 Wheel Hawk so I decided to make one from a 5 gallon soap bucket.( see illustrations) We later modified it to work in a campground dump at the campsite by adding proper fittings and drain hose all for around $20.00 and it all stores in the bucket and will sit behind the seat in the camper when in transit.

We just completed a cross country trip and this worked real well everywhere we camped and we had no issues in any campground.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gray-Water-disposal-No1.jpg
  • Gray-Water-No2.jpg

Chuck

#2 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Nice idea !

Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I like what you've done. I do have a question. I use a collapsible Reliance container that is enclosed, but since it is flexible plastic, do you think it would be allowed in that California campground? Just curious.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Curious about what California campground you were at. Perhaps we can pull up what the regs are there.

I'm also curious how well water drains into it without a vent. Does enough air move back through the drain so it flows well?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Ski I think someone mentioned some time back about the beach campgrounds in southern cal being sticky about "gray water".

I havn't run into any problems ,though I don't drain away my sink water.I use a small plastic container to wash in,in the sink than dump the water in the "biffy",which most campgrounds want you to do.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I would assume a 5gal bucket with lid on, a hole just large enough for the hose to fit would be passable. I think I'd prefer the idea of something collapsible.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

I used an old kiddy litter bucket with a hole cut in the lid for years cost $0.00

until I made a grey water tank out of pvc inside the truck bed.

#8 Marshfly

Marshfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

Storing a 5 gallon bucket is still a pain.
I use this.
http://www.rvplus.co...tank-r7701.html

Compact when empty. (Only like 3" thick folded up.)
And expands automatically when filling.
And, cheap.

Here's a pic testing it out in the driveway

Edited by Marshfly, 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM.

2014 Ram 3500 Crew 4wd Cummins, 2013 Lance 855

#9 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I use something similar that came with the camper when I got it in the "ready to go" kit.  The 5 gal container folds up and lives over the propane tank when not is use.  Works great, and doesn't take up any space that is needed for other things.  Have not had any problems at campgrounds.

Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#10 The R1G Master

The R1G Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

What I have is close to that as well.  I use an old blue kerosene plastic can, piece of hose and a modified cap.  Easy to carry....spill proof....easy to dump.  I will post my picture when it stops raining.

WandererOfTheEast B) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users