24 replies to this topic

#21 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Yep-and night soil (#2) was used as an fertilizer but me thinks, night water (#1) was dumped :P ! Just gotta remember to mark the right bottle before using or problems could take place-back to shark week :) !   But really, w/o a head in your FWC, a back up is needed in a civilized place!!!!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Well I finally got tired of an irritating issue with gray water. For several years now we've used a collapsible clear plastic 5 gallon container. It was handy in that, when folded up, it fit in next to the propane tank. This was a handy storage spot. What I got tired of was that after a few trips the container would start leaking at the folds. I was regularly replacing the container. Lately the containers have leaked after only a couple of trips.

We use a seven gallon reliance Aqua Tainer as an extra water container. Harder to find, they also come in a 4 gallon jug.

gallery_1902_252_13283.jpg

The large lid comes with a reversible spigot. The 3/4" female pipe threads make this handy. At our local cost-a-lot (true value hardware), in the garden section, I found a pvc connector from female hose thread to male 3/4 pipe thread.

gallery_1902_252_80889.jpg

I screwed in the new connector and this is my new gray water tank.

gallery_1902_252_22191.jpg

I can securely join it to my drain hose. Open the vent and water easily drains into the jug.

gallery_1902_252_29271.jpg

You can buy replacement lids with the spigot. On another lid I replaced the spigot with a plug for transport. This eliminates and chance of spillage or odors. I have done this with our larger 7 gallon water container also.

gallery_1902_252_59130.jpg

The empty jug is now the last thing placed in the camper and the first thing removed when setting up. It meets our needs and also, I believe, handles the problem the original poster was addressing - a closed gray water system.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

I did a similar thing but used a ~3 gallon jug and a clothes washer hose.

34081-albums922-picture4588.jpg

and the parts are easily found at home depot or similar (brass fitting screwed directly into top of stock white lid) :

34081-albums922-picture4589.jpg

Cheers,

Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#24 CD Noble

CD Noble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLebec, CA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

The water drains easily as I have drilled a very small hole in the lid. I have a collapsable one but it would sometimes tip over and spill so I went for the square soap bucket. And it stores everything inside and takes up very little space. As for the regulations, it depends on the rangers and campground hosts in organized campsites. Some would not let us dump in the outhouse?? Makes no since to me but I try to keep them happy. As we traveled across country and used campgrounds the set up for the drain worked really great and we had no issues with it all .

Chuck

#25 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

I used my empty space over my wheel well and designed this. it hold 3.5 gallons and you can empty while driving on the road. You can also connect a water bottle to drain it into if you're at one place too long.
I kept my water bag but haven't used it in over a year:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users