14 replies to this topic

#1 Coast Ranger

Coast Ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCoastal SC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'm looking for a camper and am finding my way to the pop up truck campers.  Compact, light weight, and will let me tow a boat.  Having been a CW reenactor for years, sleeping on the ground in the most primitive way, a camper with the most meager amenities will seem like the Ritz.  The two I've been admiring are the FWC and ATC shell models.  I really just need a place to sleep and stash gear while on the road.  I'd like to be able to sit inside if it's raining or really cold.

The question:  How much "overhang" can I have out the back?  I have a Tundra with a 6' 6" bed.  A camper that fits the bed would be a little short for a bunk.  An 8' camper base would be ideal for the average heighth guy.  (Would that be length if he's lying down?)  Does extending beyond the truck bed present a problem?  Can a longer camper sit on a lowered tail gate?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions,

CR

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I have an 8' camper on a .75 ton truck with 6.5' bed.  The bed of the camper without a slide out extension is 48" x 83".  If your Tundra is a newer generation this would work for you too.  However adding the bed extension allows north/south sleeping for 2 without the need to crawl over one another to get out of an east/west bed.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 Larry Perry

Larry Perry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationArnold California

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi Coast Ranger I have a Hawk FWC camper on a short bed truck the sleeping on the upper bunk is across the camper, which is 80 inches. The roll over couch is shorter so sleeping with the top down is shorter but still OK for a short stay. Both the FWC and the ATC are a good choice with subtle differences, just look at both to make a choice the ATC is cheeper. I chose the WTC because of minor differences. Good luck but have fun witch ever you chose.     

1999 Chevrolet step side FWC Hawk shell personal build   

#4 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Depending on how tall you are, the cab over bed can be used for one person sleeping east - west without extending it into the 'living' area. Extend for north - south. Check the dimensions on a Bobcat or Eagle shell as you may be able to mount on a Tundra, close the tail gate, use the couch for naps, the upper bed for sleep. You would still have a place to put stuff. Just a thought.

OOOPS! May not be able to close the tail gate. Panther, Ocelot, or Hawk shell might be a little wider.

Edited by Argonaut20, 01 August 2013 - 01:37 PM.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#5 Coast Ranger

Coast Ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCoastal SC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thanks guys,  I didn't think of the slide out for the upper bed.  Being 6', I'd sleep up top, side to side.  Having someone else sleep below, front to back would keep him from being trampled when I got up "to look at stars".  The 6.5' campers are a little short for that.  The extra 18" seems like it will make a big difference.  On a particularly ugly night, I could see 3 guys hunkered down in comfort.  Snoring might be a problem.  But if you drink enough and get to sleep first, it's not YOUR problem.

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

After sleeping in a camper, you will never want to sleep on the ground again.  You will also be able to store and organize your gear in the camper; preparing for a trip and pulling out of the driveway will be much easier.

A few items to consider -

The 8' campers provide a lot more space in the camper.  However, you typically sleep in the cabover section and this leaves the floor of the camper available for gear, etc.  You may not need the extra space.

The overhang moves the center of gravity towards the rear of the truck. This can affect handling and hard breaking while cornering.

It may not be a big deal with the shell model, but it may be depending on the amount of gear you carry in the camper.  

How heavy is the boat?  If you have to use a hitch extender, this adds even more weight further back from the rear axle.  Also, the hitch extender significantly reduces the maximum tongue weight.  It shouldn't be an issue with a 12' aluminum boat, but do your homework and understand the numbers.  

#7 Coast Ranger

Coast Ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCoastal SC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi Expresso,

The boat is a 16' aluminum jon boat.  I'll be sure to research the limitations before I buy something.

Definitely a shell model.  I've been camping a number of times with a friend that has a pop up trailer.  In 7 years, he's never used the sink or toilet.  I have seen him use the range once to make coffee.  We've agreed that they're just in the way.  If they weren't there, it would be more convenient to have the extra space.  I have a compact gas grill and single burner that I would prefer to use outside anyway. 

#8 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Part of the beauty of the drop-top camper is the flexibility.  Everyone uses their's in a different way.  I would rank the refer #1 and the sink #2.  I could get by with a portable stove and catalytic heater.  I could definitely rip out the side and front couch.  The extended cab is also a must have item.  If I'm alone I leave the cushion at home, but we have the option to turn it into a queen bed when my wife accompanies me on a trip. 

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

These guys do it commercially so I doubt its an issue.

http://www.rvperu.com/

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Coast Ranger

Coast Ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCoastal SC

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Craig, 

The truck RV Peru is using is a Toyota Hilux Extra Cab.  It has a bed length of 5' 6".  The FWC looks like it's extended back a foot, possibly a Hawk model.  If an extra foot on that truck, with at least 1200 lbs. (based on apparent options), then a 2013 Tundra should take an extra 18" with about 575 lbs. (dry).  I may still beef up the springs or put bags on the truck.

One of their pictures show a truck with the tail gate attached and lowered.  It doesn't look bad.  And I'll bet it looks just fine from the inside when it's raining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users