#1 trailrider

trailrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Can you get by with a smaller volume portable cooler fridge than a built in fridge. I would think the portable packs tighter and has less wasted space. On a built in there are gaps between itmes due to shell height.

I am used to a built in 3-way fridge. You should not pack it such that the cold can't fall down from the coil through the refrig. You can increase inside cooling by putting a fan inside the fridge to circulate the cold.

In a portable cooler can you pack it full? Is the entire bottom a cooling plate?

If I go portable I am trying to decide size. I am learning towards 55-80L. We like to keep bacon, sausage, eggs, lunch meat, cheese dip, fruits, vegables, cheese and a couple of beers. I don't want to have to be running to the store.

I gather a portable set a a typical refrigerato temp will not keep ice cream bars frozen on the bottom correct? I may have to give up ice cream up. The dual zone ones have too big of freezer section.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

We have and use the truckfridge 51 liter model.

Truckfridge

It is the same indel B portable fridge that others sell.

It works great for the two of us and keeps almost a week's worth of supplies cold for us. It does not have a freezer. We stuff it full.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

Ski,

Is your cooling plate on the side(s), or the bottom?

#4 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:53 AM

I have an Engel..The cooling coils are built in the sides, not the bottom You can fill it to the top. I have put it in freezer mode and packed it full to the top. Everything stays frozen just fine (even ice cream).

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

Although it does not have separate freezer section, I did just climbed in the camper and checked out the controls. I can set the temperature down to -22°F. I figure that will freeze most anything if necessary.

Ski,

Is your cooling plate on the side(s), or the bottom?

Alley-Kat, I don't know. How would I determine this?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

The TF65 is mine. http://www.truckfridge.com/tf65.html

Holds a very consistent temp and the small freezer really freezes. What I like is that I can see what I have. In a chest I have to unload it to get what I want (yes, being more organized would help). No regrets so far and I've packed it pretty full.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

Ski,

When the unit is operating, listen for the compressor fan, or feel for the air flow via the compressor fan through the exterior vents, then you might either, 1) see some frost on the inside of the fridge (maybe set to the lowest temp), or, 2) just feeling around the sides, inside the fridge you can tell what side(s) are cooler than other sides.

That "cool" has to get into the interior of the fridge some way, and it's often just by transfer thru the interior walls (usually no vents from the cooler plate to the interior of the fridge).

Edited by Alley-Kat, 15 August 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#8 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I bought an Ironman 4x4 fridge/freezer from the previous owner of my Finch. It is a rebranded one same as Ski. I've only tried it out using the 12V outlet in my truck. I'm hoping to get my 2nd battery done by the fall for the beginning of my desert season. I really want to be able to stay out for maybe a week at a time. It does get cold quick but I didn't feel around to find out where the coil is. I do know it is quiet.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#9 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have this 43 liter unit: http://www.edgestar....s-Refrigerators

Or cheaper here: http://www.compactap...default,pd.html

It only goes down to minus 6F. :( The cooling seems to come from the sides and maybe the bottom as well.  Anyway, I can pack it full and things stay frozen or cool as needed. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#10 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

On longer trips we use our Engel as a freezer (fully packed at the start) and carry a bunch of gel pack freezer bags.  These we rotate through various coolers including fully collapsable insulated shopping bags.  This allows us to start with a huge fridge capacity that can be gradually folded up a stuffed away as the food/drink disappears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users