• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ski,  so far my experience echos the other Engel owners. Mine is a portable MT-35 top loader. I use it exclusively as a Fridge. Recently in a trip to Lake Havasu in Arizona the daily temps were averaging 110*. (No we weren't camping - we were transporting food to our rental house), Packed full the temp stayed at 39*  all day on 12 volt.  Return trip I turned it back on at mid-day (108*)  and in 2 hours temp dropped  to 39*. I packed it full again and it stayed that way full 5 hour trip.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ski,

When the unit is operating, listen for the compressor fan, or feel for the air flow via the compressor fan through the exterior vents, then you might either, 1) see some frost on the inside of the fridge (maybe set to the lowest temp), or, 2) just feeling around the sides, inside the fridge you can tell what side(s) are cooler than other sides.

That "cool" has to get into the interior of the fridge some way, and it's often just by transfer thru the interior walls (usually no vents from the cooler plate to the interior of the fridge).

Alley - Using the touch method it was very evident the cooling plate is in the right side only (in relation to looking in from the door latch end).

Ski,  so far my experience echos the other Engel owners. Mine is a portable MT-35 top loader. I use it exclusively as a Fridge. Recently in a trip to Lake Havasu in Arizona the daily temps were averaging 110*. (No we weren't camping - we were transporting food to our rental house), Packed full the temp stayed at 39*  all day on 12 volt.  Return trip I turned it back on at mid-day (108*)  and in 2 hours temp dropped  to 39*. I packed it full again and it stayed that way full 5 hour trip.

Our fridge works great in all weather and temps. I'd consider it pretty well tested. Alley-Kat lent me a precision thermometer that determined the actual inside temp was 4° higher than the controls indicated. I keep the control temp at 32° and my contents are at a happy 36°.

Jim, I figure the fridge works best with a large cold mass inside so as we empty it from use during our travels the Lady places her water bottles on the bottom to keep the space full.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Alley - Using the touch method it was very evident the cooling plate is in the right side only (in relation to looking in from the door latch end).

Is this correct?

TruckFridge51CoolingPlate_zps6b747d69.jp

Edited by Alley-Kat, 15 August 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#14 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Guys---I'm just happy with my 3way frig and old beat ice chest  cooler :D ! maybe I need to reevaluate my needs and get into the modern world--or maybe just stay where I am-after all I would not want to spoil myself!  I can get a bag of lamb chops, a steak or two and two ice trays in my freezer and have a bunch of wonderful things to eat and drink or a week or so! :P

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Is this correct?

TruckFridge51CoolingPlate_zps6b747d69.jp

That's it! And only on the white portion in the main storage area, not into where the fruit is.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users