Jack brackets repurposed

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

How many of you have removed the jacks and use the brackets for other purposes? Installed my new TV antenna to an open jack bracket. Antenna sits atop an old extendable tent pole for when I need extra range. I set up the mount with 5/16 ss bolts and wing nuts for easy on/off. I don't always rough it, but have never carried a T.V. out camping before either, Hope I don't look like one of those class A guys. I figured if I find I don't use it camping much, I can always get rid of cable at home(don't get me started on that one)and use it there.

#2 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I mounted adjustable (up and down) brackets to hold my homemade awning.  I'll post some pictures and a write up one of these days.

#3 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

I'm planning to make a bracket to hold a Trasheroo and 4' ladder.

#4 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Always remove jacks before I travel.  Brackets are used for:  attaching bottom of poles holding out rear awning (home made), one end of clothes line (other in the trees), one end of ratchet strap (when turnbuckle hold down broke) other end some place under the truck,  and I am pretty sure there were others.  They are just about the first place I look when I need to attach something.

#5 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:12 AM

Yep, use the brackets for attaching different things, also bolted hooks into the lowest holes to hang things on (packs, dog stuff, hats, garbage bags, pheasants, grouse, etc.)

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Currently I'm using all 4 for tie-downs, and the LF to mount the 2M ham antenna (1/2 wave NGP). All are somewhat visible in this pic when enlarged:

DSCF0480.JPG

Reading some of the previous posts it occurred to me that with some risers I could likely attach the tarp-awning strut to them as well.

Edited by ntsqd, 26 February 2014 - 06:29 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Oly Bill

Oly Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

I use the jack brackett with a "S" Hook to attach a 2 gallon Reliance plastic water bag to rinse my hands, boots & Razor Clams at the Grayland, WA beach.  

#8 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

I use the brackets at home (projecting) to haul long pipe/angle iron/etc on the passenger side.
Depends on what I'm hauling as to how I strap it on.
Works well.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,611 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

I've seen brackets used with a Scotty rod holder socket, which then was used to hold a Magma marine type BBQ.

I am haunted by waters

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

Interesting idea freebird. If it doesn't fit in the camper I put it up top but thats hard to do unless I brought a ladder. Using the brackets is a pretty good idea.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users