• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:03 AM

Jack brackets are good places for a custom shower mount.  An aluminum rod can be mounted to any of the brackets, then a swivel PVC support structure for the shower tarp enclosure.  It works very well for us.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#22 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:53 AM

Yeah, I know... wishful thinking. (re: spare tire)

Edited by CarlG, 25 May 2016 - 03:56 AM.

#23 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

I think jack brackets for the spare would work with no problem since between the 2 of them you have at least 500# capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#24 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

I think jack brackets for the spare would work with no problem since between the 2 of them you have at least 500# capacity.

Maybe.

I think the two issues that make me nervous about the idea are that when the jacks are being used to raise/lower the camper, (1) the force is straight up/down and (2) the load is very static.

A spare hung off the back would exert some lateral forces and the forces might really amplify when going over bumpy terrain.

#25 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:43 PM

The only thing I've used the mounts for is a clothes line with a bungee. I think it would be a great way to attach an awning and/or PVC for shower.

Always remove jacks before I travel.  Brackets are used for:  attaching bottom of poles holding out rear awning (home made), one end of clothes line (other in the trees), one end of ratchet strap (when turnbuckle hold down broke) other end some place under the truck,  and I am pretty sure there were others.  They are just about the first place I look when I need to attach something.

Any pics of this awning? Sounds like a great idea.

Jack brackets are good places for a custom shower mount.  An aluminum rod can be mounted to any of the brackets, then a swivel PVC support structure for the shower tarp enclosure.  It works very well for us.

Do you have pics of this set up?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#26 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

Here's a pic that should give you a good idea; you can zoom in on the gory details.  It might not be pretty but it's a quick and easy setup-takedown, takes a stiff breeze fairly well, and we sure enjoy our showers after an active day out and about.

Rico

Attached Thumbnails

• custom_shower_shelter.jpg

RicoV

#27 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

Rico,

I like this setup. I especially like that when you aren't showering you can use the top and bottom as hula-hoops. :) 

Alan

#28 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:02 PM

Is the sissor jack under the bumper doing some leveling?

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#29 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

You probably noticed the center hoop occupies the middle portion of the inside of the shower tarp  By leaving the oval 'unlinked' at the tarp opening, the hoop's natural rebound gives flex structure to the middle portion so that the wind doesn't blow the tarp up against you when showering.  That's a big hit with my wife, she likey.

The pair of 30" scissor jacks ride on standard jack pads and are jacked up to support the left and right frame-bumper contact points, adding stability in high wind events (much less rocking) and providing a limited amount of truck leveling where needed in campsites, maybe up to 4" worth, haven't needed to try for more than that (yet).

Rico

RicoV

#30 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:30 AM

Simple and inexpensive looking shower set up. Looks great. I've got one of those foldable kind with the metal frame inside the tent material. I like it but it does blow in the wind.

What is the jack resting on? Must be durable to hold the weight. Would it hold a hilift too?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users