52 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,595 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

I've decided to try the Melitta way. Ordered a 32 ounce carafe. Question is how much coffee to put in? I could just experiment but I'd rather not. 

I tried the french press, even though it was highly rated I didn't like it at all. My Bialetta works well, I just don't care for taste all that much.

Craig, we use three generous serving spoons full of french roast per liter.   I am guessing that it is the equivalent of about six heaping tablespoons.   The spoon won't stand up in a cup, but it does get a bit stiff when stirring :D .  It doesn't take long for the water to filter through, and the coffee stays hot.  Just dump the filter and grounds in the trash when it's done. :)   

BTW, we use a beat up old Stanley thermos, not a carafe.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

I've decided to try the Melitta way. Ordered a 32 ounce carafe. Question is how much coffee to put in? I could just experiment but I'd rather not....

Most "experts" recommend 2 level tablespoons per 6 ounces of coffee.

So for a 32 oz batch that means use 2/3 measuring-cup of coffee.  :o

Some years ago I happened to read the "how to brew" instructions printed on the side of a bag of some brand of coffee (maybe "Seattle's Best") bought at a supermarket, and it said "2 tablespoons coffee per 6 oz water".

That shocked me, so I checked the source of all truth and wisdom -- the Internet.  Starbucks website recommended "2 tablespoons coffee per 6 oz water".

Hmmm...but those are companies in business to sell as much coffee as possible, so of course they recommend using excessive amounts!   :rolleyes:

So I found a site that's all-about-coffee -- maybe the ultimate coffee website:  CoffeeReview.com

They have page after page about coffee history and lore and reviews.  On their page called "Brewing:  Brewing Tips" they recommend: "2 level tablespoons or 1 standard coffee measure per 5- to 6-ounce cup".
OK, OK -- I'm convinced! 

(they gave much, much, more detail, beyond that simple recommendation, including variations based on how you brew it)

And I do like it strong.

But, of course, you should brew to your particular taste. :)  So that means, sorry Craig, you may have to actually do a little experimenting. ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Join the club :D , the only way to drink coffee-the Miletta way- one cup at a time (unless you are making it for more than one) :) !  You too can become an expert like MarkBC,& learn things you never knew about coffee and do it the right way ;) . Me- I'm lazy,  just pour it in the filter 'till the smell is right (it sort of bounces back up to your nose as you pore it) and the pile of coffee has a nice mound to it :P !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

...You too can become an expert like MarkBC,& learn things you never knew about coffee and do it the right way...

Smoke

I'm NOT a coffee expert -- I just know how to find "expert opinions" on the Internet!  :ph34r:

But as a chemical engineer, I can give you a reason why it's better to err towards brewing "too strong" rather than "too weak":  You can fix "too strong" by just adding a little hot water.  To fix "too weak" you'd need a reverse-osmosis unit.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,595 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

And here's what you need to drink from....  a skcubratS paper cup...

My daughter is very good with crafts, and made a Starbucks stamp to mark her paper cups.   Unfortunately, she had never done anything with print, so of course when she copied it verbatim, it printed in reverse.  I like eeffoC skcubratS better... ^_^

13907798734_e7e4fcbae6_c.jpg

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 17 April 2014 - 05:02 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#16 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

I prefer the aeropress

Love my aeropress but it uses more coffee .... and good coffee is expensive ... but cheap coffee is better with baileys i guess. 

#17 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

We use a jetboil and a coffee press.  You are drinking away in the time it takes for the optimal press wait (5 mins?).

Same here. Boiling water on the stove takes way longer than a jetboil. No worries about 12v or 110v.

#18 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

Well, we differ here, a slow boil on the stove means more time to smell the coffee in the filter cone-got to enjoy the whole experience-faster sometimes is not always better-but again, retired folk take our time, you know smell the roses :D !

Smoke

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

Well, we differ here, a slow boil on the stove means more time to smell the coffee in the filter cone-got to enjoy the whole experience-faster sometimes is not always better-but again, retired folk take our time, you know smell the roses :D !

Smoke

Many times these little rituals are what matters. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Sure do Ski :) !  Watching those beautiful clouds and that blue sky outside roll on by, from  the deck right now, no speed needed here! Don't think I could ever be a flat lander again!  But I  would rather smell that coffee, simmering long and slow, sort of like smelling a day long Thanksgiving turkey or a good roast leg of lamb cook all day :P .  Well this is still close to the original subject so it's not a steal right ;) ?

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 18 April 2014 - 01:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users