• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

I've enjoyed my old school camp stove percolator but it takes a lot of propane to get it nice and hot. Recently I've just gone to my kelly kettle and instant vietnamese coffee. The Viet cafe is cheap and tasty and I no longer need to bring creamer, sugar, and the rest of the coffee fixins. With the kelly kettle water boils fairly quickly with either stuff from my firewood or small stuff found on desert and forest floors.

a20792913af262f71e57da_m.JPG

base_camp_stainless-50001.jpg

Edited by ETAV8R, 19 January 2015 - 06:13 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#32 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

We have recently started using the "clever dripper"... It's basically a one cup at a time cone type idea, but has a stopper, much like some of the new tea brew gadgets.. Uses a paper filter.. Allows you to let the coffee steep in the grounds for your desired strength.. We used the cone/one cup at a time method for ever with success, I always liked the second cup because the coffee seemed to brew slower.. Now all that has changed.. You still need to change the paper filter and grounds for the second "session", but a far superior cuppa joe than the regular cone..takes up the same amount of space..

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#33 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Clever Coffee Dripper
shares

$19.00
Price MatchGift Returnable
In stock
(Quick Ship - Ships Next Business Day!)

SKU: Clever
Overview
Brand
Reviews
Questions

Aptly named the Clever, Abid's full-immersion dripper produces a clean, tasty cup that couldn't be any easier to use. To brew a cup, simply place a filter in the brewer, add ground coffee, pour water over the coffee, steep for 2-4 minutes, and then place the dripper on top of your cup. The cup's rim engages the release valve and the coffee begins to drain through the bottom of the dripper into your cup. Depending on the size selected, this brewer takes either a standard #2 or #4 filter, either of which can be selected after clicking "Add to Cart." If more filters are needed, see our listing for Melitta coffee filters .

Durable BPA-free plastic body
Includes dripper, lid, and coaster
Works best with #2 or #4 size filters
Available in 18-ounce (yields ~16 ounces) or 10-ounce (yields ~10 ounces) size
Designed for manual, immersion-style coffee brewing
Brews one cup at a time
How to brew

24-27 grams of medium- to coarse-ground coffee
400-450 milliliters of water, heated to 200-205 degrees
3:30-4:00 total brew time

*Image is a representation. Actual product may vary based on model, size, and options selected.

Abid

Abid is the brains behind the Abid Clever Dripper, a full-immersion by-the-cup coffee brewer. The Abid Clever Dripper is an easy to learn, single cup manual coffee brewer that simplifies the brewing process. To brew, you place the coffee filter and coffee into the Clever Dripper, pour the desired water volume over, let it sit for 3 to 4 minutes, and then set the dripper on top of a coffee mug to drain out. The Clever has a release mechanism on the bottom that allows the dripper to drain when placed on top of the mug. Clean up is as easy as dumping out the filter and rinsing with water. The Clever is the perfect place to start for someone who is wanting an easy to use single cup coffee brewer.

#34 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

Was not the cut and paste I was after... But you can get the idea....

We nick named it the "coffee bullet"

#35 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

It may be blasphemy and I could be thrown off the forum but we use instant. We use drip at home and we made drip when camping before there were some reasonably tasty alternatives. Nowadays we usually use Starbucks VIA Ready Brew packets that we keep in the camper with the tea bags. Sometimes we use Trader Joe's Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate or Trader Joe's Instant Coffee. All of these instant coffees are surprisingly good when camping and win hands down for convenience. No fuss, no mess, little wait. I just want a quick cup pre-sunrise before my wife gets up, and then an hour or two later another cup with breakfast. Works for us. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#36 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

It may be blasphemy and I could be thrown off the forum but we use instant....Nowadays we usually use Starbucks VIA Ready Brew packets ....

Nah, it would take more than your choice of coffee fix to get you thrown off WTW, Mr. Foot. ;)

And you weren't the first to praise Starbucks VIA -- the first mention was by WTW's sainted founder, DirtyDog.  :o

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#37 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

I love the Starbucks instant. Pretty expensive tho in comparison to grounds. But what isn't expensive at Starbucks? I keep some in the camper for when I am in a rush. Gawd I feel cheap!

#38 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Hmm, I guess I'm pretty far behind the curve. I use an enamal pot on a fire or gas stove. It had a percolator in it when I got it, but I only succeded in making ONE good pot of coffee with it. I tossed the percolator parts.

Add enough water for each cup (mug) wanted, plus one. Bring water to low boil, dump in a rounded tablespoon per cup, plus one, and reduce heat a little and let simmer/steep for about 5 minutes. I take it off the heat and let it set for a couple minutes to settle the grounds. Some use a splash of cold water, but it isnt really needed if it sits a couple minutes. Works either way. Pour slowly so as not to disturb the grounds and enjoy. Toss the very last sip in the cup in case a few grounds made in, and toss the last full cup in the pot with all the grounds.

First time I made camp coffee the ex decided she didnt want any after watching me make it. She didnt last long and had to have coffee, even if swimming in grounds (not). She declared it was the best coffee shed ever had.

A small shot of Bulleit bourbon in the coffee when in camp is nice now and then also. and I'm NOT a drinker by any means.

#39 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

Cowboy coffee -- a fine Western tradition.
:)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#40 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:38 PM

Dad used to call it hobo coffee. I think I would pour it through a filter. I'm such a coffee snob. lol

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users