Fresh Water Drain Leaking

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

Must be time for our annual valve discussion :) If you want can get one of these. http://www.ebay.com/...49c132c&vxp=mtr

That's what I put on my fwc. it drains slow but who cares

#12 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

The fresh water valve problem was more than a minor irritation for me.  Earlier this summer some of the diluted bleach solution  (part of the purification process) leaked and actually etched lines in my then brand new truck.  As you might guess, this did not make me happy.  I put a plug in it at that time and need to replace the valve with something of better quality, as has been suggested in this thread.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#13 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Must be time for our annual valve discussion :) If you want can get one of these. http://www.ebay.com/...49c132c&vxp=mtr

I did this same valve on my 2013 Hawk as it drains out the back. On my 2002 Hawk with the tank on the side like the ATC  I put in an elbow where the valve was. Ran a tube to the back and put in a hose valve. I really liked having the valve to get water out side if needed, it also drained fast. The new valve is clean but it drains slow, too slow if you wanted to get water for use. 

sml_gallery_1903_342_57423.jpg

sml_gallery_1903_342_140006.jpg

#14 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:47 AM

I'll replace mine when I put the camper in "Dry-Dock" for a day to re-paint the lower wood sections and inspect the thing...I have not had it off the truck since 2011.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#15 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:43 AM

I am working up the gumption to tear my water system completely out to gain the space. I have never used it.

I just use the 2 gal. rectangular generic purified water containers from the supermarket. The built in water system is just too much to worry about maintaining cleanly and safely. Right now the sink is just a catch-all container for odds and ends that never get put away properly.

The water jugs I buy fit under the sofa, so it keeps the C.G. low.

Edited by winks, 18 September 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#16 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:15 AM

Appears different type valves were used, over the yrs.  mine on 99 Grandby.   I was told not to put a brass valve into the plastic threads of tank, can tear them up.   And got tired of leaking Camco junk valves.  So, I  used a Pex type valve I found at Home Depot with male pipe thread on one end and push in 3/8" OD poly hose fitting on end. Keep a short section of hose in propane tank compartment near by to drain away from fender or fill bottles etc. Just stick hose in end, has one way grip, push up on collar to remove hose.   Had stock valves leaking within months this one has much better valve guts no leaks for 2 yrs. now.  Similar to this, at HD, but mine looks like different brand, this got one bad review:

http://www.homedepot...-3012/100203926

Camco:

http://www.rvautopar...CFVVsfgodtYEALg

Mine:

imag0181-10443423.jpg?ts=1411013362

Edited by 180pilot, 18 September 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

I did something similar to BillHarr's set-up. Used a bronze ball-valve and a plastic 90° fitting in the bottom of the tank. The exit end of the ball-valve has a garden hose adapter screwed into it so that I can use our sink drain hose to route the water off the truck when emptying the tank. I do have some concern about it freezing in cold weather, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

Oh, mine has frozen numerous times if you force it, it will break. if I need to use it, I heat some water on stove put in a spray bottle and spray it down.  I find it most handy when I need to wash my hands when outside....Could put a piece of foam around it......

#19 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 21 August 2022 - 05:48 PM

My plastic one got stiff because it was dirty from road dust. I removed it and cleaned it by soaking brushing with an artist brush and now the valve turns better. I'm thinking about applying some silicon grease (better for plastic) but maybe it will attract more dirt?? I'm going to try a cork in the spout might keep dirt out to keep the valve turning nicely. I question some of the modifications listed here due to issues with freezing during shoulder months. I like having a valve that works well so we can fill our solar shower. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users