Photo

What's the advantage of a half-ton for a pop-up?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

I see that many pop-up slide-ins are designed for half-ton trucks...but when I do the math, the wet weight of the camper hovers around the payload capacity of most pickups, and adding gear and passengers puts the payload at or above rated capacity.  Suspension mods like airbags, helper springs, or sway bars help, but add to the cost and may void warranties (although I suspect the warranty thing isn't actually an issue very often).

Getting the higher payload ratings in a half-ton usually requires longer wheelbase models, which become similar to the 3/4-ton wheelbases, so it seems that maneuverability is a wash.  After adding mods on the half-ton, prices are similar to 3/4 tons.  Dealers claim the MPGs are pretty similar as well, although I'm skeptical.  Please educate me if I'm wrong on any of this...I don't have much experience here.

And yet, I see lots of folks happily enjoying their campers on half-ton trucks...which tells me I'm missing something.  (Or that this just isn't a big deal.)  But the ones who have 3/4 ton trucks usually say they wouldn't go lower.

So...if I'm buying a truck soon to use as a daily driver (without the camper) and to haul the camper on trips several times a year, is there any advantage to getting a half-ton rather than a 3/4 ton?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#2 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

The only advantage I see is not having to drive a 3/4 ton truck when the camper isn't mounted.  A 3/4 ton isn't simply a 1/2 ton with an extra leaf spring.  If I were buying a truck specifically for a camper, I wouldn't consider a 1/2 ton.  But if 95% of the time it is driven without the camper, a 1/2 ton is less expensive, gets better gas mileage, and generally has a more comfortable ride.  I realize these are general statements and are open to debate.

I think much of this comes down to how you plan to use the rig.  I already had a 1/2 ton SB when I brought the Grandby and buying a new truck for the camper wasn't in the financial plan.  However, I have found it doesn't do well off road.  I installed airbags to help support the load and the whole setup is okay on paved or smooth dirt roads, but even washboard roads make for a pretty harsh off road experience.  

My experience tells me:

• 3/4 ton minimum for a Grandby or Cougar.  
  • 1/2 ton could be okay for a Hawk or Panther (especially a shell), but you must manage the weight.  If you plan to do a lot of dirt, I would opt for a 3/4 ton if I was starting from scratch.
  • The truck bed must match the camper, i.e. long bed for the Grandby or Cougar.  The center of gravity is way too far back when mounted on a SB.  (again, my setup works on the paved road, but I've never had to make an emergency maneuver.  I'm not sure how the center of gravity would impact braking and swerving)  Also, using a hitch extender significantly reduces what you can tow.

I believe others will have very different opinions because WTW'ers take some pretty cool off-road trips in their 1/2 ton trucks.

#3 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Your thought process is correct.  If you have a 1/2 truck, like it, and are okay adding suspension mods, then I'd say go for it.  However, if you're getting a truck, then skip the 1/2 tons and go right to the 3/4 or above.  There are 1/2 tons with a payload package available.

I had a Titan crew cab and wanted to use it.  But after going through all the calculations and considering a safety factor for my family decided to sell it and b a truck with more payload capacity.

I don't like running something a max capacity as a matter of habit, but that's a personal preference.

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

I am willing to bet most of us with 1/2 tons had the truck before the camper. My Hawk works fine on my Tundra, but had to add air bags and sway bar. If I was buying a truck for the camper it would be a 3/4 ton. Everything Espresso said it true there is  a lot of difference than springs between the a 1/2 and and 3/4 ton truck.

#5 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

I ran a 1/2 ton Ford with a small gutted Alaskan popup, 1200 lbs dry, since 2001. I Added Hellwig helper springs and E rated tires, and it worked OK. Burned out the clutch prematurely. Two weeks ago, after going to two different scales, three times, camper off, camper on, checking GVWR ... my frustration reached the point where I woke up, went out and bought a used F350 V-10. Aside from not really feeling the camper on it, the thing that surprised me most was how much less fatigued I am driving it. I wish I had done this years ago. However, I'll not be using the 350 as a daily driver. If I had to do that, I'd probably stick with the F150. I was looking for a 3/4 ton, but there were no deals even close to the deal I got on the 350.

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

I have a Grandby on a Tundra but it is one of those situations where I had the truck first.  I have added airbags and when the tires came due I put E rated tires on.  I'm happy with the ride and handling and it will serve me well for a few more years.

That being said the next truck will probably be at least a 3/4 ton and ideally will have a service body that the Grandby will fit onto.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

I really like the idea of the service bed on the truck.  Storage space has been a problem on some of my trips and this would be a nice solution.  I like the idea of stowing the folding chairs, leveling blocks, lantern, etc. external to the camper where they are actually used.  However, the heavier the total package becomes, the less it becomes "four wheel" capable.  And when I start pushing $70k for a popup camper, I start to consider other options.

#8 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

I have a Grandby on a Tundra but it is one of those situations where I had the truck first.  I have added airbags and when the tires came due I put E rated tires on.  I'm happy with the ride and handling and it will serve me well for a few more years.

That being said the next truck will probably be at least a 3/4 ton and ideally will have a service body that the Grandby will fit onto.

X 2 - 1998 Chev 1/2 Ton - works fine with the E rated tires and Air Bags. I drive slow and take my time so I can stop quickly in Case of emergency - its a great truck. Will consider a F350 when time to replace this truck. I will upgrade to 3/4 ton for sure. I am usually at least 1000 lbs over weight with people,dogs, fresh water and fuel.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

I didn't consider a 1/2t when I was looking for a truck to put a camper in for two reasons, brakes and I wanted a diesel engine. I occasionally drive the rig to work, but it is not a work truck. The camper has been lifted off the bed, but never actually left the bed exactly once since we bought it and that was to install the rubber bed mat (highly encouraged BTW).

Unladen the ride of a 1/2t will be better since they're lighter sprung, but the 3/4t's have the bigger brakes appropriate for their GVWR. If a 1/2t will work for your other needs then I'd suggest looking for the "Heavy 1/2T" that nearly every mfg offers or has offered in the past. My previous boss had one of these in a late model Chevy and didn't even know it. 3/4t running gear (8 lug etc.) on 1/2t springs. I didn't realize it until I spotted the "1500" badges and noticed the 8 lug wheels. Finding one 4wd may or may not be a trick, no idea.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

We have a Tacoma and a shell camper with the stock suspension and are happy. We live in the city and visit our kids in cities and didn't want to drive (and try to park) a big truck in the city. We manage our gear to stay within (or very close to) the weight limits and have had no issues. I have considered adding new rear springs and might do that in the future but it is not urgent, the truck drives and handles fine.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users