Photo

What's the advantage of a half-ton for a pop-up?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

marshfly, "why?", I was trying to creatively  think of a half ton truck that was short, totally stock, level, under GVWR, under max axle load for a loaded wet camper with several 100 pounds of spare capacity.  Trying to minimize the risk of post purchase rear sag.  

#22 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

That aluminum body looks promising, but it's a heck of a risk to take on a new technology.  Ford tested it under heavy use, but how will it hold up over the years to street salt or in coastal areas?  I wish they had paid more attention to corrosive environments.  I'll be interested to see what the payload numbers look like...a legitimate 2500 lbs or so for a crew or extended cab half ton?  That would be interesting.  Although I'm not sure why they'd still call it a half ton, other than marketing.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#23 Marshfly

Marshfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

marshfly, "why?", I was trying to creatively  think of a half ton truck that was short, totally stock, level, under GVWR, under max axle load for a loaded wet camper with several 100 pounds of spare capacity.  Trying to minimize the risk of post purchase rear sag.  

If you're looking for under GVWR, you'll have to either go with a very minimalist camper (next to zero options) on a very basic half ton (no crew cabs need apply) or go to a much bigger truck than a half ton. If, on the other hand, you're willing to accept the fact that thousands of trucks, up to and including 1 tons, are running around with truck campers and are over gross but probably not over individual axle ratings which is probably the more important number, then you can be a little more liberal with your camper selection.

Quite frankly, even 3/4 tons of not that long ago couldn't carry all that much on paper. My brother had a king ranch diesel crew F250 that had less than 2000# payload. Even new ones aren't much over 2000#. Maybe 2200-2400#. That won't cut it for anything other than a popup. 

Again, if you're looking for a camper that's much more than a shell with a bed, you'll be looking for more than a half ton truck if you insist on being under the somewhat arbitrary GVWR. Also, if you insist on being under GVWR, you need to insist that the actual camper you are buying be weighed with scales and ignore the fairy tale weight claimed by the manufacturer. They are often so low as to be criminal.

Edited by Marshfly, 27 June 2014 - 02:30 PM.

2014 Ram 3500 Crew 4wd Cummins, 2013 Lance 855

#24 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Comparing those weights is why I started this thread, actually.  My planning factor is 1500 lbs for an FWC Hawk with options, water, and extra gear.  Add 500-700 lbs for family depending on who comes along, and that's why I'm saying I'll be at or above capacity for most half-tons...especially since I don't want a regular cab.  I'm sure most half-tons can still safely carry a bit over the sticker's GVWR, but I don't want to have to worry about how much my gear weighs, or worry about emergency braking or anything.  If there's a half-ton out there that can really do that, or if there's some other half-ton advantage that I hadn't thought of, then I'd consider it.  But as for now, I'm leaving very heavily towards a 3/4 ton.

Thanks for all the thoughts, everyone.  Keep them coming if there's more!

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#25 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,303 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

If you're looking for under GVWR, you'll have to either go with a very minimalist camper (next to zero options) on a very basic half ton (no crew cabs need apply) or go to a much bigger truck than a half ton. If, on the other hand, you're willing to accept the fact that thousands of trucks, up to and including 1 tons, are running around with truck campers and are over gross but probably not over individual axle ratings which is probably the more important number, then you can be a little more liberal with your camper selection.

Thank you for your statements.

I agree a lot of the trucks you see with campers are above their GVW. weather 1/2 or 3/4 or larger.

The bigger the truck the more some want to have it carry.

I have an 02 Tundra AC loaded. I know I am over GVW I have weighed it. I try hard to not carry things we don't need. Simple the better.

I don't use the rig for serious off road camping so don't feel "unsafe" driving to my favorite spots.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Enjoy what you have and be safe is my feeling.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#26 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

As stated previously, a half ton will get better mileage and provide a softer ride.

A 3/4 ton will haul the camper a lot better.  A lot.

My F350 didn't know the pop-up was there.  However, the truck was a kidney buster un-loaded.

1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#27 Shap

Shap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

My tundra hauls my Romin Chariiot just fine, though I have several suspension and horsepower mods that make it drive over logs and go to warp speed in a short period of time.

IMG_2082.JPG

#28 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

I had a Ram 1500, decided to get a pop up. I did the math and the payload on a 2010 Ram 1500 is pathetic due to the rear coils. I dumped it for a '12 Ram 2500. It's much much more truck, but still drives OK. I do wish I just skipped a step and bought a extended cab 8' bed 350. You don't really save any mpg and the ride is not that much worse on the 1 ton. If you know that you will never go with a bigger camper a 3/4 ton is fine, but if you even think you might upgrade, go with a 3500. The payload on a crew cab 3/4 ton is under 2500#, which will get eaten up fast even with a wet full size pop up and all your stuff, never mind extra fuel and people.

#29 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Rethinking my above post, I lied, as noted above the unloaded F350 short bed srw extended cab hurt my guts to drive, not kidding, I test drove the thing for less than an hour and felt like someone had been kicking me in the gut. My Ram 2500 rides much much better, but has half the payload as the F350

#30 Marshfly

Marshfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

They will all ride like that on the test drive as you're driving around unloaded with 80psi in the tires. I set mine at 45psi front and 40psi rear on my 2014 Ram 3500 for daily driving and notice a huge difference.

2014 Ram 3500 Crew 4wd Cummins, 2013 Lance 855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users