• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

Sway bar made a big difference for me. 2005 Tundra and Hawk on the back.

#32 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

be careful about the verbiage "...adds 1000lbs additional payload". Realistically that is an inaccurate way to look at it because all the airbags do is lift the rear of the truck. Payload stays the exact same in an engineer's mind (considering you did nothing with the actual build of the truck such as bearings, axles, tires, shocks, brakes, frame, etc.)

Just my .02 worth.

Yes, sway bar will help with 'roll' with the camper on.

Enjoy, and be safe!

Edited by KILR0Y, 01 August 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#33 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

I asked the Toyota manager in the service dept this question. I said if I add E rated tires and airbags does the GVWR stay the same? he said that the rating is printed and it says with P rated tires. Just the act of adding the E rated tires it changes the actual GVWR. So his opinion yes it changes the rating. What that changes to he had no idea. 

#34 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

That's the first thing I would buy, before air bags. Take-off tires from any manufacturer are all junk C-rated tires in my mind, except for the TRD Rock Warrior Tundra, which I believe are E-rated BFG TA/KO's. Anybody confirm this?

Edited by KILR0Y, 01 August 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#35 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Get the ¾ ton. Nobody ever said, I bought to much truck for this camper.

Mike

#36 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

I love my 2500 but if I were doing it again I would go with Mikey and go big with a 3500.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#37 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:09 AM

I love my 2500 but if I were doing it again I would go with Mikey and go big with a 3500.

When I started researching pop-up campers and trucks I thought I would get a 3/4 ton. A friend who is a 20+ year truck camper told me not to waste my time with anything less than a 1 ton. I've decided for me a 3500 was the right choice.

#38 dauntless225

dauntless225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationColton, Oregon

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

The certified GVWR(door sticker or glove box sticker) by the manufacture for a vehicle cannot be changed by the addition of air bags, springs, tires or anything else for that matter by the vehicle owner or the dealerships. Any service manager that tells you otherwise is uninformed or is being untruthful... 

Do these additions make your truck handle better yes.. are you still outside of the vehicle designs absolutely(assuming your over the GVW). 

Loading your vehicle beyond its design is not only a bad idea but, if you are ever in an accident with someone that knows your over the limit and wants to go after you.. good luck explaining why you added all these aftermarket items to help your truck handle a load it was not designed to from the factory..

Then again I have never heard or anyone being sued and losing all there possessions from being overloaded and in an accident. But I have worked to hard for my junk to give it to a lawyer and their client.

yes, this topic is a hot button for me....  

Kevin

FWC Granby 

68 Jeep M715 father/son project...

#39 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

At least you weren't using all caps in your post =;v)

#40 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

The certified GVWR(door sticker or glove box sticker) by the manufacture for a vehicle cannot be changed by the addition of air bags, springs, tires or anything else for that matter by the vehicle owner or the dealerships. Any service manager that tells you otherwise is uninformed or is being untruthful... 

Do these additions make your truck handle better yes.. are you still outside of the vehicle designs absolutely(assuming your over the GVW). 

Loading your vehicle beyond its design is not only a bad idea but, if you are ever in an accident with someone that knows your over the limit and wants to go after you.. good luck explaining why you added all these aftermarket items to help your truck handle a load it was not designed to from the factory..

Then again I have never heard or anyone being sued and losing all there possessions from being overloaded and in an accident. But I have worked to hard for my junk to give it to a lawyer and their client.

yes, this topic is a hot button for me....  

You must worry a lot about loosing your "stuff" to ambulance chasers. I was told that the GVWR was set for the equipment and tires that were on the truck. Changing that changes the GVWR. Sorry if that offends you that was what I was told. I guess you say one thing he says another. I am still in the GVWR on my truck but I don't worry like you do that I will loose all my "stuff". From what I have read we should only use F450's and bigger

Edited by idahoron, 04 August 2014 - 11:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, ram 1500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users