48 replies to this topic

#31 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:12 AM

My gym is next door to a Walmart, does that count?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#32 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

To be honest, what is the worst thing that could happen? You are asked to move on?  

b

The only problem I have is if I am ticketed for trespass I could lose my hunting and fishing licence. It is mandatory in idaho if you get a trespass. I have never heard if non hunting or non fishing trespass also counts but I don't want to find out. I have done a little stealth camping and you said it right "building that confidence level"  I don't lift my top over night when I do it.

#33 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Malmute, I come from 45+ years of backpacking, some of it for my job.  But at this age, I am enjoying the comforts of a truck camper as I still seek the solitude and the open skies of the outdoors.  So my way of thinking is still based in those tent and sleeping on the ground.  Every vehicle I purchased over the previous 40 years had a requirement, that they could be slept in. 

You might be aware, or surprised how large a population nomads really are.....  Often a meal plan is used for the ones that are challenged in meals and managing money. These are often available through many of the chain restaurants. 

Here is one of my tips.  Go to a Wal-Mart ... 

I saw a fair number of people that I took as semi-nomadic when I was doing it. I enjoyed the sense of freedom, and being outside a lot. I cleaned up at friends houses off and on mostly, or cleaned up in camp. I had land and lived in a tipi off and on for a couple years also, which I liked quite a lot. Most of the country I frequent has large amounts of National Forests to camp in. I tend to gravitate toward such country if travelling or adventuring. I've rarely ever used developed campgrounds, I normally find some little used two track side road off a dirt road and explore it for potential. I had quite a list of places to camp when doing it regularly around N Az.

Funny about the vehicles, being able to sleep in them has always been one of my primary criteria, even when I wasnt doing it much. One can be stuck not finding a room when travelling, or just decide to take a nap when out in the hills, (or in a parking lot in town. Naps can be tricky and overwhleming opponents at times). I'm wanting some sort of camper now, maybe two. An offroad capable teardrop, and a regular small/moderate size pull behind stand up rig. I could probably build a teardrop, and maybe the regular camper. I have to get my back and shoulder repaired and get capable of working again first.

I bought a motor home from a friend halfway across the country, I mapped out my return by the walmart locations. I never had anyone bother me when staying at one. I know a fair number of travellers stay at the local one in the summer.

Never heard about meal plans. I ate out a fair amount, sometimes cooked or made up easy stuff in camp. The meal plans sound worth looking in to.

Edited by Malamute, 05 April 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#34 bka0721

bka0721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOn the Road since June of 2009, Boulder Colorado before I left for the road.

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

Hi Malamute!

Thanks for filling me in.  You might consider starting a separate thread, as this topic is removed from the original posting.  I would be happy to follow you to that new thread and contribute.  Just note the link to it, as I don't surf much on topics due to I don't spend a lot of time on my computer out in the middle of no where.  And that is a good thing!

.  Thanks!

#35 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

Back to the camp security aspect, I tended to stay in different places each night, and not form particular patterns. I generally carried openly most of the time, and definitely whenever out of town (this was in the days when concealed carry permits werent around much, and not where I lived). There had been a well known case of a family of some outlaw types in the area before I moved there, they went on a murder spree, targeting random people they came across. I always had a rifle around, if not in hand when walking. Mostly lever actions, sometimes other things. I fooled with AR's a bit then also. They made pretty good small game getters.

I did a lot of cold camps. As much as I enjoyed a fire, I often prefered not to attract attention. If camping with others, we'd usually have a fire. I had a dog once I stopped riding motorcycles, they are great at knowing whats around, day or night. I often was awakened by my dog low growling at something off in the darkness. I kept an old army angle head flashlight with the red lense handy. It showed eyes out in the dark, without alarming animals. It was usually a coyote, curious as to what the heck was out on the ground in the sagebrush. I could drop back off to sleep in a minute or less if it was something benign like a coyote. Sleeping on the ground, I kept a rifle next to me, covered with the edge of my canvas tarp ground cloth, out of sight and out of the dew or rain if it came up. The pistol was usually under the pillow, or right next to it covered over, depending on the perceived need for easy access. A few times, I slept with it in my hand on my chest, laying on my back, Most often it was a 4" smith 29, or a 4 3/4" nickel Colt Single Action in 44 spl cal. I didnt like sleeping with a 1911, I had awakened to them cocked and unlocked several times.

#36 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

You unknowingly fondling your safety while sawing those logs?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

Tears in my eyes laughing so hard

#37 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

That is funny on so many different levels!!! Genius

#38 bka0721

bka0721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOn the Road since June of 2009, Boulder Colorado before I left for the road.

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

Malmute, I certainly don't travel with you or know your circumstances in life.  So there is no way I am able to comment on your position from a knowing position.  What I am able to share is there is very few times, in these last 6 years where I felt I needed to carry a firearm on my person or with me while sleeping.  It really comes down to the choices ones makes in where they camp and the level of comfort.  Pretty much summoned up in the first paragraph of the article on Personal Safety. 

I wish you the best and safe travels, always. 

b

#39 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:35 AM

In 40+ years of carrying while camping, I have been glad I carry a gun a number of times:

1.  Rabid raccoon chasing my dog around the campsite in BWCA.  Shot the raccoon.

2.  Two rough looking guys in the Cascades decided to 'look through' my tent.  Unsnapped my holster and pulled and reholstered my revolver and left my hand on the stock, while demanding they leave.  They left rather quickly, so did I.  Reported to Sheriff.

3.  Nighttime campfire in Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana.  Dog going nuts, multiple pairs of eyes shining from just beyond the fire.  Single shot into tree in their midst convinced them to leave.  Probably not the smartest thing to do; using 1/6 of my load.  I doubt I could reload fast enough if they decided to attack.  Large fire and no sleep that night.  Ranger thought it was feral dog pack.

4.  Inquisitive black bear cub climbing my bow hunting tree.  Mama bear getting concerned.  Water bottle bath convinced cub to explore elsewhere, but it could have been 'interesting'.  I was very happy to have a gun on my hip.

I could go on, but point is that I didn't get to choose those time that I needed protection.  All of them were situations and places that I have been in numerous times without incident.  If I had known I would have a problem, I would be somewhere else (1st rule of a gunfight).

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#40 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

I have been following this thread closely and I really like the article by Bryan Appleby. Camp safety is much more than just firepower its how you present yourself, keeping situational awareness and not being afraid to leave the area if something doesn't feel right.

All that said I (and most of us here) spend a lot of time in the boondocks and no matter how careful we are, statistically something bad is going to happen. It can be anything from theft/vandalism to unhappy wildlife to broken down vehicles. I carry a pistol when legally possible and typically avoid places where it is not legal or I lock it in a safe. I don't let my gun make me feel safe, if I would not go into an area unarmed then I would not go in armed. My gun is a back up for when everything else goes wrong. I don't loose too much sleep worrying about what is going to happen but I do everything I can to prevent/discourage something from happening.

Finally if you carry a gun in your vehicle PLEASE use a gun safe secured to your vehicle! They are fairly inexpensive and a gun owners duty. I personally like Tuffy but there are many other good safes/vaults out there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users