35 replies to this topic

#21 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Gave the system a real world try camping the last few days in the Smokies and it worked great, except that the rubber clamps aren't strong enough to hold the unit under the cabinet, at least on the roads I drive. Now to rig up a strap to hold it in place so it doesn't bounce loose. 

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#22 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

Just pick up some Velcro strap at Home Depot

#23 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

Might try these Quick Fist Clamps.

http://www.quickfistclamps.com/

Cheap and sizes hold a variety of items and weights

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#24 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

I have some quick fist clamps somewhere from a prior application, but I'll probably just use a strap. I tried looking in Townsend at the Ace hardware but couldn't find  bracket I liked to mount the strap. I'm sure I can find something here around home.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#25 BigRanchInSky

BigRanchInSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:02 PM

Ouch, hurt my back, herniated disc. Not to fear, picked up the speaker stand from B&H photo, $116 with tax. Tripod legs screw off easily, used rubber from leg on bottom, works perfectly. Made some small wood brackets that I installed with heavy duty double sided tape, has little 2" indentation in middle to keep speaker stand from squirreling around, rubber foot on floor works perfectly as is.

Gave it a crank, now I don't have to use my back to lift the thing. {joy}

Stand: https://www.bhphotov...Up_Speaker.html

Now just need the quickest clamps, my roads are often very bumpy.  Cheers and Thank You to Bob, original posters and discoverers!

#26 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

I just leave mine on the floor when traveling - its the first thing I grab when lifting the roof.  It is then stored away until I am ready to drop the roof.  No problem with bumpy roads.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#27 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 13 February 2022 - 07:05 PM

How do you feel this system would work with a 48lb raft frame on the roof with yakima racks? We have the exterior struts already on an ATC Bobcat. We don't want to remove the frame each night when travel to river trips. How secure would it be with the weight up there at night and any possible damage to the locking panels? 

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 February 2022 - 08:50 PM

I have maxtrax, cell/wifi antenna, canoe and 50 pound 360W glass solar panel on my roof. 80# lift struts. We raise the roof by hand. Even my retired spouse can do it by herself.

#29 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 February 2022 - 10:54 PM

Wow!  Four 80 lb struts ==> 320 lb total lifting assist minus reduction due to strut angle.  Makes my 30 lb rear and 20 lb front struts seem wimpy.  I do have a speaker stand for help when  the arthritis kicks in.

Do you have to pull the roof down when the canoe & Maxtrac are not on the roof?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:38 AM

Wow! Four 80 lb struts ==> 320 lb total lifting assist minus reduction due to strut angle. Makes my 30 lb rear and 20 lb front struts seem wimpy. I do have a speaker stand for help when the arthritis kicks in.

Do you have to pull the roof down when the canoe & Maxtrac are not on the roof?

Paul

Yes indeed, we need to pull the back down. The solar panel is up front, so that is always a challenge to get lifted up the first 2-3 inches.

The real trick is to use your head. By that I mean, be smart and use the fan to help both lift and drop the top. In our Puma that works way better than it did on our Hawk. I think that is because when I gutted and rebuilt this camper I made sure to seam seal and tape every opening and gap. Where I could not get easy access, I used spray foam. The camper is tight. So the fan really helps. And, I do physically use my head rather than arms to life the roof. I find it much easier to squat under the roof lift panel, touch it with my head and then just stand up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speaker Stand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users